Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micki777

Can you help me identify this flower?

micki
12 years ago

Here's the link.

{{gwi:455798}}

It might be Liatris but I wasn't sure because I had Liatris elsewhere in the garden, and labeled those seeds Liatris. This is a beautiful flower, very sturdy, about 2 feet high, blooms late summer.

I would like to sow it but need to know the name.

I got it from my daughter and neither of us know the name.

Maybe I'll look up Liatris again, maybe it is one.???

Thanks for the imput,

Micki

Comments (11)

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

It does look like purple liatris. It would be helpful to see the whole plant, and the leaves. Liatris grows from a bulb. When they first come up in the spring, some time I mistake them for grass, but if I dig down a bit, I see the "grass" is coming out of a bulb, so I leave it!

• nana8
    12 years ago

Yes, That is the Liatris. My favorite is a vase of about 20 stems with a little filler.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Liatris spicata/blazing star

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Has anyone success in WS Liatrias. The ones I planted never sprouted.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

A few months back there was a thread about sowing the whole seed head. Liatris was mentioned. A couple of us mentioned that we would trying sowing our whole liatris seed heads. I did it. I will not know if I have any results until some time next spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Art of Sowing the Whole Seed Head

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I successfully sowed white liatris a few years back. They look like blades of grass. Saw them in the flower bed this summer. Still very small and no bloom yet.

• micki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for identifying this little buger for me, and thank you Gardenweed for the Cultivar name too, awesome eye.

I have about 1,000 seeds, literally a ragu size jar of them. I thought I would sow it in a large flat (aluminum roaster pan, but since its so iffy at germinating maybe I'll put it in the cold frame instead.
    Thanks again to you all experienced gardeners. I just love it here!
    Micki

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Mickie,
    I consider Liatris to be one of the easiest seeds to winter sow. I have ecellent germination. In fact, I have so many volunteers that it has become almost a nuisance, except it's so easy to pull as a sprout.

Martha

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Wintersown liatris
    {{gwi:455800}}

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Micki - Liatris spicata is the botanical name; common names are blazing star or gayfeather. There aren't any specific cultivars that I'm aware of altho' the white variety is called 'Floristan White.'

Karen - mine never look that good!

• micki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TY for the encouragement on the Liatris. Yours are very stately Karen. I have the Lavendar, Thx for the Common names Gardenweed. I was familiar with Gayfeather, but not the Blazing Star. Actually, this is a new perennial for me, just acquiring it last year from my daughter as a Mother's Day gift amongst many other of her babies she wants me to baby and multiple for her. She thought they'd be better in my care.

Here's kinda how the story goes and how I wasn't sure what the plant's name was. First off, my first yr having it and there wasn't a tag with it, but it got planted in two locations, and I was under the impression they were two different plants. Foolish me. The one you're looking at here was planted in more shade, probably the reason it only got to about 2 feet. The other 3 plants were in FS, but crowded perhaps in my over full Sun location, they did well, but perhaps not as well as Karen's where she has afforded them plenty of room to grow and take in Mother's Natures best. I do like the flower, although it is debateable with some, but being so easy to grow and how hardy it is, I think I'll keep it around and sow it into pots for my sale. I will be keeping everything produced by WSing but my extras I will be selling. Of course, everyone here will have first dibs on the seeds and I willl religously collect them and pay forward how generous everyone was to me.

there is quite a bit of shaff in amongst the seeds but I understand that shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't sown it yet but will with an added amount of delight and love.
    Happy Sowing,
    Micki

Sponsored