Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlcom

Winter sowing containers

MLcom
12 years ago

Starting to work on my winter sowing for this year. The containers that have done the best for me are gallon milk jugs and 2.5 gallon kitty litter jugs.

This year they seem to be in short supply, so going to try some black 2 gallon landscape pots landed on a trip to the recycle center. Has any one used those with plastic bag on top?

What do you use for your winter sowing?

Things that dont work for me are salad packages, not deep enough or dry out to fast, 2 liter soda bottle just did not work out either.

ML

Comments (14)

• t-bird
    12 years ago

So glad I read your post! Was about to throw out some kitty litter containers!

Do you just keep the bottom, and plastic bag it?

I'm using 1 gal vinegar jugs for my 1st projects. They are whitish opaque so I think they will work. I use loads of vinegar as I clean the house with it.....

• inchworminjersey
    12 years ago

Why didn't the 2 liter bottles work...I saved quite a few from the Christmas Day Dinner. I was hoping to use them?

• MLcom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

T- bird I use a dremel drill to cut open my jugs. It is a round blade with teeth it makes the bottom holes and I cut like 4 inches to the bottom or the line that goes around the milk jugs, still using the back hinge with the handle to carry them around with. It so fast with the dremel to do those heavy plastic containers.

Kitty litter jugs come with my use of kitty litter and last more then one year.

ML

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Two-liter bottles work fine--lots of folks use them exclusively. The trick is to cut a vertical slit on the top half so you can push it down into the potting mix in the bottom.

The only reason I don't use them is I really like the handles on the milk jugs that let me lift them to peer down the opening checking for sprouts and also when I need to move them for any reason.

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

i love 2 liters. I just cut a hinge top and use a small piece of duct tape to secure the other side. that way i can pick them up and move them if I have to.

I assume the little horsey is saddled up for when the green wave rides north?

• ssmdgardener
    12 years ago

Gardenweed, what do you mean by this?:

"The trick is to cut a vertical slit on the top half so you can push it down into the potting mix in the bottom."

• jaggudada
    12 years ago

Pros of 2 G milk containers is you have bigger area compare to 2L bottle. So you can get more seeds or they are not as crammed in.

The cons of milk jug is they are not transparent, so you can see without lifting the handle.

I wish they made transparent milk containers, that would be perfect, you can more area and you will be able to readily see what's going on. Anyone know of any place where you can get transparent containers similar to milk jug please chime in.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Lemonade from Chick-fil A comes in clear gallon containers.

I think their iced tea does too.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Gallon milk jugs are my favorite, cut the usual way with a hinge and closed with a vertical strip or 2 of duct tape.

Next favorite is 2 liters. I cut the top off completely, and cut 2 upside down "Vs" in the bottom of the top half. After sowing, push the top down over the bottom. As temps rise in spring, pull up on the top and the "Vs" form windows on the side for more ventilation.

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

ssmdgardener - I just hold the top half of the bottle by the spout and make a straight cut up towards the top about 2-3 inches. I make two cuts opposite each other. This allows the top to squeeze together enough that it'll go down the inside of the bottom half.

• dieg01991
    12 years ago

Hi everyone!
    I posted this on another thread and thought I'd share it here too.

Over the years, I have found many types of containers that I love, and some I can even reuse for multiple years. They are also free. I know you might not have time to collect some of these for free this year, but maybe next year. I collect mine throughout the year and stash them in the garage. Anyway, here's a blog post I wrote last year with container ideas. Hope it helps...

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Containers for winter sowing

• terrene
    12 years ago

I have used many types of containers. Currently my favorites are the 2 LTR bottles (cut in a similar way as described by kcqrna) and assorted sizes of plastic cups. They are easy to use, AND re-use - they hold up for years. One of the problems with milk jugs is that the plastic gets brittle after a season or two or the container gets all cut up trying to remove the seedlings. I am not into collecting, cleaning, and cutting new containers every year.

I used to use a lot of the large clear plastic salad boxes that held the mesclun mix, and still use a couple. However I know use almost all of those for raising butterflies. They make a great rearing container for butterfly caterpillars.

• liza070831
    12 years ago

I drink spring water so I use the gal jugs for my ws. These jugs are more transparent than milk jugs.

• dieg01991
    12 years ago

terrene - it's great to know that 2 liter bottles hold up for more that on season! I am also not a fan of collecting and preparing new containers every year. It goes so much faster when I can reuse my containers. Thanks for pointing that out!! I think I will try a few 2 liters this year.

Amy

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!