Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontheteam

Harvested Clematis seeds

ontheteam
14 years ago

Now what...

They are from a Nelly Moser.

I read they can take along time to germinate. Are they a good WS candidate?

Comments (9)

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I haven't tried it, but somebody locally in a trade gave me a little Stans she winter sowed in a quart? pot covered with saran wrap.

I wish I'd asked her how deeply she planted them.

Now I cleaned up the debris from my C. Rooguchi for the winter (you're supposed to do that but I leave all the others messy looking and prune them back in spring), then went and fished out a few fluffy seeds from the kraft lawn bag as an afterthought, stuck them in an empty pill bottle.

So if I don't see differently here, I'm just going to try winter sowing mine like the Stans, will press them in damp soil, lightly cover with some soil and maybe even saran although not recommended here and just see what happens.

Maybe I'll set those out as soon as it's a solid freeze by about Christmas. Tried to start some from cuttings, didn't use any rooting powder, got a bubblestone and the rest of that from Wal Mart after no activity for 2 weeks or so, they stayed alive a long time in the north window but never rooted. I may try it again with rooting powder which I keep on hand for my rose cuttings.

I also tried layering just one, kept it buried through last winter, layered it as soon in the early summer as the vine was long enough at a joint. No luck. There must be a trick. I'm guessing the commercial ones are propagated from cuttings somehow in greenhouses.

Mine have shown NO inclination to self sow, had some going for 3-4 years now.

Good luck with yours.

• gardencrazy
    14 years ago

I saved what I hope is seeds. The fuzzy things all had something on the end of it that looked like a seed. Then I noticed that a few random ones were much bigger than the others so I guessed they were the actual seed and picked them out and threw away the rest. Suppose that is correct? I was planning to try to ws them. I have been waiting for someone to get on this thread and tell us they have done it and it works. (maybe it wont work:(

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I found this thread on the Canadian ws forum w/google. Our Tiffy says a Tangutica sprouted the first year, you'll have to read thru, not too many posts.

Doesn't look too hopeful. It obviously worked for the lady who gave me the Stans but that is a small and native species.

The FAQ (link at top on main ws page w/the threads) for this forum under "Common Flower Garden Perennials . . ." lists Clematis for z5-9.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis in Zone 5

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Gardencrazy, I asked the same question when I was trying ti figure out the seeds from my Ramona. Someone was very helpful to me. For many yrs I thought all those fluffy little strands were seeds.
    Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis seed

• gardencrazy
    14 years ago

Thank you Aliska and Tammy. That is all good information. I think I will try wsing them. But if they dont sprout in the spring they will probably get abandoned. Probably forget to keep them watered during summer or something like that. Oh well.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad I am not alone then lol.
    I'll WS mark'em good and see if they grow.
    I too thought the fuzzy tails were seeds last year lol.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Yeah, the joke is on me, too. I saved the fluff at the end of which looks like a small seed. So scratch all that. Too late for this year.

But aha! I'm going to try dividing one of my 2 Roo's in the spring. I can always get another one if I botch it, but I'm hopeful it will work as it is mature and sends up really too many vines for where I have it.

If I can propagate mine, I know there are people who would want any extras.

I love my C. Mrs. Julia Correvon; she is a wonderful performer, blooms almost continuously, was blooming last I looked in Nov. The one on the east side has gone nutzo but the one by the garage where something isn't right there, maybe dripline, only has two vines but does bloom. They were supposed to be paired with white roses, but the roses aren't hardy enough.

Oh, and C. Polish Spirit I planted as a dinky little thing, had a hard time finding one, finally got it from an Amazon subvendor. Will see if I can find a photo.

Polish Spirit, light was against me:

{{gwi:293342}}

Mrs. Julia Correvon, first year 2008, went crazy 2009:

{{gwi:457160}}

Rooguchi which I just love:

{{gwi:457161}}

• stlgirl
    14 years ago

While doing my fall cleanup back in October I found a jug I had stashed behind one of my Adirondack chairs. It actually had a little 1 inch seedling in it. Then I remembered this was the jug I had WS a few "H.F. Young" clematis seeds in. So I can't say for certain when it germinated. I believed I sowed the seeds in January. Anyway I didn't feel good about planting out such a small seedling before winter so I dumped the jug's soil into a flower pot along with the seedling with the intention of treating it as a houseplant this winter. So far it is happy and to my surprise 2 other clematis seeds have sprouted in the same pot sometime in the last couple weeks. They are definately slow growing and not in a big hurry to grow up. But hey I am thrilled they actually germinated for me.

-StLGirl

• gardencrazy
    14 years ago

Stlgirl congrats on the clematis babies. Thanks for sharing that info. I hope I can do the same.
    Aliska, your clematis is great but look at those Lillies! Wow they are beautiful. I have some but in 4 years each one have only multiplied in two. You have a bunch!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting