Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus gnats

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 16:05

I always thought I could control the fungus gnats with cinnamon but this batch of gnats must like it. What can I put on my indoor plants (mainly ones I have brought in from the screen porch for winter)to kill these buggers before they kill my plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus gnats

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 21:36

BTi (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis). Sold in the form of Gnatrol (the brand I keep on hand), Knock Out Gnats, others. In a pinch, you can buy mosquito dunks - have the same BTi as active ingredient - float a dunk in a container of water over night, then use that water to water on your normal schedule. A naturally occurring bacterium, its safe for you, your kids, your pets.

Be patient. It can take using it at least three consecutive weeks before the breeding cycle is broken and gnats are gone (kills the larvae, not the adults).

o

Thanks - I have some I used this summer to control tomato hornworms.

o

Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 10:09

The BT (probably 'kurstaki')for caterpillars isn't the same one that is effective for mosquito and gnat larvae, your hornworm product won't help you.

The one you want is specifically Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis for gnat control, BTi.

o

Success!! The BT I have for Hornworms worked immediately. I know I will have to give it a second drench for the eggs in the soil, but I guess the little knats didn't know my BT was for larger critters!

o

Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 20:36

OK, hope you are right and its done the trick, but do you know how BT works? It must be eaten by insects or the larvae to be effective and works by interfering with digestion - in other words, after ingesting some, they stop eating and starve, would usually take more than a day.

It won't affect eggs, it would only kill the larvae if they ate it....

The normal course for gnats is use as a soil drench each time you water on your normal watering schedule for no less than three consecutive weeks to break the breeding cycle - adult, to egg, to larvae which then becomes adult to lay more eggs.

o

I use this stuff, works great.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: insecticide

o

Since the life of a knat is 7 days, I figure I will drench the soil a couple more times to be sure I got all the little buggers.

Thanks for the input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here