Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emcd124

Too early to WS if temps fluctuating in Z5?

emcd124
12 years ago

I live in northern Indiana (z5) and am really excited to try winter sowing for the first time this year. I accidentally bumped into the idea on here this fall and have been reading up on it ever since.

I am eager to get started but a little concerned because we've been having unseasonably warm weather here. We've had snowfall three times already, but we've also had weather up in the 50s. i dont want the weather to 'confuse' the seeds into sprouting too early. And a lot of the z5 results listed on the wintersowing.org site seem to say people get them out in March or April.

So what do you advise? Do I have to wait until we have reliably cold weather or can I get going now?

Comments (7)

• kimka
    12 years ago

I would start with seeds that need cold stratification first since they won't sprout until they've had their exposure to cold temperatures. Hopefully by the time you're done with those, winter will settle down for you and you can get the rest of the seeds sown without worry.

Also, one day in the 50s at a time will not get seeds started because the soil in your containers won't get warm enough to lead to sprouting. Most seeds need soil in the 60s to germinate, so just check in the database for details to settle which seeds to sow in what order.

KimKa

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Ditto the suggestion about starting with seeds that need cold, moist stratification in order to germinate. I'm working my way down my seed list and sowing those first. The others will get done once the others are set out in the cold. If you aren't sure if a particular seed type requires cold stratification, just Google it or check the Clothier's database for seed starting information.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Start Sowing with hard seeds like Delphiniums,Larkspur, Echinacae, Columbines etc. They take a while to germinate.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I don't think it's a problem. Days have been unseasonably warm, but nights are still cool. And days are still short, nights long. Probably not warm enough to sprout seeds.

I haven't sown anything yet, but I never do until the holidays are over and all the Christmas junk put away.

Karen

• emcd124
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kimka: I hate to sound like such a newb, but when you say " just check in the database for details to settle which seeds to sow in what order." what database are you talking about?

Gardenweed, thanks for pointing me to Clothiers database. I'm working through it now, but it seems light on info on veg (most of the entires are "ornamental"). I'm mostly doing vegetables this year I think, because I already planted over 100 bulbs for the spring, so I think the only flower seeds I'm sowing are poppies, and maybe a few companion flowers for the veg garden (nasturtium, marigold, morning glory etc)

Is there some other database resource that I'm overlooking for veg?

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Look under annuals/biennials on Clothier's database. I looked and found okra, beet, swiss chard and onions so assume other veggies are also on it.

• ccoupkir
    12 years ago

I also am in zone 5, Central Illinois. Although our temps are also fluctuating, it is safe to sow your seeds that need cold stratification now. Some need up to 12 weeks, so I am doing those 1st. Although temperature is important in seed sprouting, length of daylight is often the real key to unlocking dormancy in seeds. My biggest concern is our high winds and no snow to hold my containers down! Good Luck!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living