{{gwi:457753}}

{{gwi:457754}}

{{gwi:457755}}

{{gwi:457756}}

{{gwi:457757}}

Comments (16)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Ok that is just nice, it is raining here and I am coldddd. Your pictures warmed me up!!

What is the purple plant with your creeping jenny. Reminds me of a viola by the bloom.

• adamark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is lobelia. I have to admitt, I bought it in a big store. But I'll do it again, it did very well in my clay along the drivway.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Wow that is cute!! Is that as small as what I think it is?? It looks like it may be only 5 to 6 inches if. You wouldn't remember which lobelia that was do you??

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

The bee balm is gorgeous! What kind is it?

• jodie74
    13 years ago

I second lois, That bee balm is GORGEOUS!!!!!

• adamark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bee balm is growing wild in the most neglected corner of the property. It has to be at least 10 years old. I've transplanted some at about that time. It survived house demolition and a new construction. It is spreading but that's is fine with me. It hardly gets much sun. No clue what's the name. I didn't collect any seeds but can do it next year.

Lobelia - yes it's tiny but very cute. It bloomed constantly till Nov. Again, no clue what's the name. I'm sure, you guys have notice by now, I'm not good with labeling, remembering names, planning.

• PVick
    13 years ago

So cheerful on this c-o-l-d day!

That's lobelia erinus - trailing lobelia. It comes in various shades of blue, red, white. Grows really well in shade. I sowed two packs of it this past year; 7-yr old seed that I was sure would not germinate. I think every last seed germinated - I had a chia pot of the stuff! Oh, and the seed is like dust - have yet to figure out how to collect it.

PV

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Like I need another low grower, but that is going on my want list for sure. That is just to cute!!

Adamark do you have a problem with powdery mildew on your bee balm since you plant it in partial shade?? I ask cause I purchased some red bee balm and I know the jacob's clime is good on mildew resistance but the ones I purchased were of the panaroma series and I would love to plant mine in partial shade. Though I don't want to deal with powdery mildew either. I guess I am just curious hearing from someone in a cooler zone than me how theirs does.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Pvick, since you helped me with the botanical, see if this helps you for the seed saving. The lobelia erinus would be the 7th one down.

I just happened to find this site one day. I knew they had shots of seedlings but I did not know they had seed pods and the seed images. I was tickled to find it!!

Thank you for the botanical also!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed pod, seed, Seedling images

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Carolyn, thanks for reminding me about that site. I think I came across it once before, but forgot. That will help next spring when i start collecting again.

• adamark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

countrycarolyn - I do have a problem with powdery mildew. That's why years ago I have transplanted them into that corner. However, seems like it depends on what kind of summer we have. This last one, the bee balm was great practically no mildew.

• PVick
    13 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn. I think my lobelia must have dropped its seeds before I got to them. Next time ........

PV

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Hmmm, ok I can always try it and see. If it starts acting up I guess I can always move it.

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

FRSA is my favorite seed ID site. See a sample page here
    http://www.frsa.org/Seedimages/Plate1.pdf

You can navigate to seed pics from the home page, which I will link below.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: frsa

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Nice pictures. I guessing the third one is some kind of
    coreopsis. Very cute.

Linda

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Plains coreopsis, I just call it tickseed. It is actually an annual here and it is an extremely heavy reseeder. To say the least!! You don't even have to plant that in a regular flower bed, that stuff reseeds right through bermuda grass. No need to plant it in a pot even, just plant it 20 to 30 feet away it will find its way into the pot. ;)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists