Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprouts!!

Posted by aquawise zone 4 Utah (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 23, 10 at 17:16

I was out this morning checking my WS containers, After 15 inches of snow I wanted to make sure all was well with them. Low and behold there was green in on of the flats. Took it in the green house took off the cover and there were sprouts. I was so excited!!! Mountain Phlox and blue Dianthus. Took them out and put the rest of the flat back out in the weather. How COOL is that. Love this winter sow thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprouts!!

That is awesome to get sprouts in 2 days!! Congrats!!

o

Congratulations!!!

o

Sorry, I wouldn't be happy to have sprouts in my containers in December. If there are only a few sprouts you can put the container outside again and expect other seeds in it to sprout later. The ones that have sprouted already will probably freeze. You could pick them out and pot them up and grow them on inside or take the whole container inside and grow them on. I like ws because I do not have to bother with those seedlings inside.

o

NO!!!!!! I winter sowed them on 11/14 according to my plant chart. Been Freekin cold here for more than a month -5 so far. Just never expected them to sprout in such cold temps. Awesome. Got them safe and snug in the greenhouse.

o

You must have some SUPER SOIL! Lucky you have a Greenhouse. That would be disaster for me!
Congratulations! Take pictures!

o

Had I not checked, would be a disaster for me and the tiny sprouts as well. I heat the greenhouse to 60* at night! day temps stay between 40 and 60 without the little heaters help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here