Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryjane43

too chicken to start yet

maryjane43
15 years ago

Is is ok to put stuff out now - in zone 5, it's been between 25 and 45 degrees?

I'm using milk jugs. The "cap on, cap off" writer said she leaves hers off - but I've seen others with the cap on AND duct taping the top to the bottom - how much ventilation would I need for these temperatures?

Comments (5)

• sandysgardens
    15 years ago

I'm in zone 4 and push a 5 and I use milk jugs. Screw cap off! Just tape enough (I do 2 corners usually) to keep top part of jug lightly secured to the bottom. No need to use so much duct tape. A few years ago I started paper punching the top and bottom and secure with a twisty. Ventilation is very important and it wonÂt hurt them to be ventilated now, in fact thatÂs how they will take in moisture from snow/rain this winter.

You can start WSing now and not worry about them. Come spring is when you need to be diligent on watching to ensure they get enough moisture. Eventually in the spring the duct tape will have to be taken off and vented more as the days warm up.

Just ask questions as you go and youÂll be fine!

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

We generally don't start until after the solistice on 12/21. The screw caps are off.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Maryjane,
    Hello from Tonawanda! I've been WSing here for a few years now. Screw caps off : )

I have a WSing schedule of:
    Work on containers during Jan.
    Get the seeds that definitely need cold out by the end of Jan. through beginning of Feb.
    Get seeds that don't need cold for long periods to germinate, but will be fine sitting outside out during winter out through Feb. - March.
    Get warm season germinators out at the end of March.

Doing that makes it less stressful and more enjoyable.
    Remy

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

What Remy says.

Sometimes I get the itch to put out a few containers right after the New Year. In that case I'll choose a day where the outside temps are around the freezing mark and sow some things which reseed in my gardens that I want more of. Gets me ahead of the game later on.

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

I'm in zone 5 and I started last week with my perennials. Some snow has already gotten into my cold frame, I let lots and lots of air in there! You really can't over ventilate.

Leave the caps off! You have nothing to worry about by letting more air in right now... or even later. I know it takes a leap of faith, but there is very little risk of failure! Just remember, air and water in the warmer weather is all that's needed once you've sown the little buggers!

Also, be careful not to "over-sow" your containers! I did that my first year and jeese those seedlings were hard to separate in the spring!

You're going to amaze yourself! Have faith!

Sponsored