Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wintersowing Parsley in Zone 5

Posted by em247 5a IA (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 17:39

I was wondering if anyone had experience wintersowing parsley in zone 5 and when you started it. It doesn't list parsley on the wintersowing website as one of the recommended herbs, and I've seen some people post about starting it later (March-ish), but it seems like an herb that would benefit from cold stratification and some freezes and thaws to loosen the seed coat since it takes so long to germinate. This is my first year wintersowing so any recommendations from you experienced wintersowers would be greatly appreciated. : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wintersowing Parsley in Zone 5

Hi, Em247,
I just started parsley in a jug late summer/early fall and it sprouted wonderfully. I'm sure it would do well with wintersowing. I would save it for later in the winter, since it doesn't specifically need stratification. Then again, it is very hardy, so would likely do fine anytime. Fennel is similar, though it tends to reseed in ideal locations, so you may never be rid of it. Both are great for the Black Swallowtail Butterflies.

Martha

o

Thanks for the tips Martha. : )

I'm up to 18 containers now and I really enjoy Parsley, so I was itching to get it started, but I better just hold my horses and focus on the seeds that actually need cold stratification first and save the parsley for later in the spring. I'll be sure to plant a few extras to save for my mom or the butterflies

o

Last year I started it at the end of Feb. It was a great year for my parsley in pots (for the swallowtails).

o

Usually and often, parsley seeds fall off , stay in ground, over winter and germinate the following season. But I don't know what percentage of the seeds survive and actually germinate.

Another thing about parsley is that it takes a lot longer than most herbs to germinate. When you are about disappointed and want to give up on them, they start germinating.

I already have a parsley patch. What I will do is to scatter some more seeds in between the old ones. I know that the ones from last year are going to go to flowers/seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here