Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Got started this morning

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

I plugged my drill in late last night and found the bit I wanted to use to put drain holes in my milk gallon jugs. I have at least 150 just sitting in my laundary room and I know I need to get started. I drill holes for the pipe cleaner to close the jug as well as 8 or so drain holes in the bottom. I am happy to report that I got the holes drilled in three of my jugs before work this morning. I just needed to get started, can't procrastinate forever.

Comments (10)

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

you're farther along than I am...my jugs are still in the garage! haha

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I prepped 9 milk jugs earlier in the week so I could start today. So far, I WS one jug each of Japanese red maple and threadleaf JRM. Next up are crocosmia 'Lucifer' and kolkwitzia/beauty bush.

• micki
    12 years ago

I thought I was behind, but I guess I'm doing fine. I won't mention my count, but I'm sure I'm being hypervigilant, being a Newbie, its hard to relax. Can't wait to be an experienced WSer at least with one yr under my belt.
    Hey getting started is the hardest part. It all becomes fun once you get the seeds in the mix.
    Keep at it bookjunky and let us know your progress.
    Nah, take your ol sweet time, zone 5 seems to be winning the zone war at present..
    just kidding, get going women, All in fun.
    You Grow Girl LOL
    Micki

• bellarosa
    12 years ago

i have around 150 black pots (4") that i'm waiting to WS. Can't wait. what did you WS?

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Here's my 12/24 WS report:

Apple
    Japanese red maple 'Fireglow'
    Threadleaf Japanese red maple
    Japanese anemone 'Margarete'
    Red twig dogwood
    Crocosmia 'Lucifer'
    Hardy geranium/cranesbill 'Splish Splash'
    Crimson scabious
    Beauty bush
    Cardinal flower 'Fan Scarlet'
    Globeflower

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

gardenweed_z6a, thats pretty neat that you're sowing trees and shrubs. Have you done them before? I collected magnolia seeds for the first time this year and am anxious to see how they WS.
    I've always enjoyed viewing your pics. They are very inspiring!

bookjunky4life, last year was my first time WSing and I made all those holes with knives, scissors. I think I'll take your lead and use the drill this time around. Sounds like it will be much easier.

Look forward to seeing all your counts on the Container Count/Zone wars thread :)
    Do you have a goal for this year?

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

NancyPlants - this is my third year growing trees & shrubs. First year I grew Kousa dogwood, last year I grew apple, pear, St. John's wort, potentilla/cinquefoil and spirea. The dogwoods from year one grew 15" the first season and another 14" this year. I'm growing them in large containers but will plant them next spring so they have regular soil in which to spread their roots and continue growing.

My neighbor who laughed hilariously at the idea of winter sowing the first year but who also brought me a truckload of recycled milk jugs from the town dump every week wasn't laughing by the time the green wave rolled through in April/May. This year he brought me 4 heirloom apple and 10 pear tree seeds from a farm in northern Vermont and asked me to winter sow them for him. I gave him 4 apple seedlings and 10 pear tree seedlings in April.

{{gwi:254469}}

{{gwi:350988}}

A few weeks ago he brought me 12 seeds from the apple tree that grows behind the town hall. Those I divided evenly between two milk jugs. They are winter sown and sitting outside along with the other containers I've done so far.

The St. John's wort and spirea sprouted wonderfully and I planted two pots of SJW either side of my front door back in October. I set the spirea in a large container on my breezeway until I decide where to plant it. I harvested seeds from my neighbor's pink spirea. You're welcome to seeds in exchange for postage if you'd like to give them a try.

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

Sounds like you've had some wonderful success gardenweed!

Unfortunately I dont have alot of room left for shrubs and trees. I'd love to have some fruit trees but there simply isnt anywhere for them. I'm not sure what I'll do with the magnolia..haha Thanks for offering to share seeds though :)

I started preparing for an additional flower bed a few months ago. Its approx 14 x 50 feet. Its been tilled, horse manure, grass clippings and leaves added. There are a few young red buds, butterfly bushes, perenials at one end but the rest will be for WS 'hunks' in the spring :) Last year I was hard pressed to find enough space for everything.
    I did take some 'before' pics so hopefully when the bed is looking nice I can post before and after pics (the area was pretty bad before)

• t-bird
    12 years ago

wow - my only thought was veggies, I will need to expand that! I've ordered loads of flower seeds....will have to ws some of them!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

About 5 years ago I had an idea for a free-form, curved butterfly bed and started designing it on paper. I planted a Leonard Messel magnolia in the center and gradually added peonies, butterfly bushes, false indigo, daylilies and meadow sage as I could afford to buy them. Thanks to WS, I've now added penstemon, balloon flower, blackberry lily, Shasta daisy, wand flower, carnations, Echinacea/coneflower, blanket flower, hardy hibiscus, gloriosa daisy, tall phlox, globeflower and blue mist shrub. There are lots more but those are the ones that come to mind.

Here's what it looked like in May
    {{gwi:449321}}

{{gwi:246503}}

Here it is (on the right) in October
    {{gwi:212018}}

In September I enlarged the bed 2 more ft. on the south (left in last pic) side to accommodate several dozen winter sown perennials I grew this year. It oughta be something to see next year. I had my granite garden bench set in so that it's facing the butterfly bed.

Sponsored