Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweed_z6a

Has anyone WS black snakeroot?

gardenweed_z6a
12 years ago

I harvested seeds from my black snakeroot/Cimicifuga racemosa 'Hillside Black Beauty' that bloomed (early) in July which according to Bluestone Perennials is just wrong. I ordered two plants in 2009. One thrived, one didn't make it and they sent a replacement in 2010. It bloomed in July this year; the original plant blooms in October. According to BP, I "stumped the panel" of experts as to why two identical plants growing within six feet of each other didn't bloom at the same time.

The faded flower plumes on the early bird plant formed uniform, round, 3/8 to 1/4 inch seedpods along the stems that turned dark brown and when I broke one open, a half dozen seeds poured out. Now I've got a couple tablespoons of seeds (if anyone wants to give them a try). They're slow-growing but so popular with the bees, I'd love to grow more of them.

According to Hazzard's, "Patience and prayer are helpful germination aids." Clothier's says multiple warm/cold cycles may be needed for germination. I'm guessing my best shot at growing them is this year, with fresh seed + winter sowing.

Anybody tried? Had success? Anybody want to wish me luck but not interested in the outcome? The bumblebees look like they're dancing some intricate ballet when these bloom--I could watch for hours. If anyone wants seeds to try, post here and I'll send you a trade's worth.

Didn't take a video of the bees on the flowers because I don't know how with my camera altho' it does take videos.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!