Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

Who is going to keep the tally?

token28001
14 years ago

I'm not. I'm going to be too busy sowing my own seeds to worry about keep track of who is sowing what. So we need a volunteer. Who wants to receive 500+ emails between now and May 1 and can operate a spreadsheet? Come on accountants. Speak up.

Comments (19)

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    14 years ago

token, you seem such a natural for keeping the tally. You're young. You can do 50 things a day, organize all those emails, and function on little sleep. It would kill me.

• luke_oh
    14 years ago

I'll probably catch alot of flack over this, but is keeping records of what has been sown that important? Especially, if it's such a hassle. Personally, I'd rather know what plantings were successful and what wasn't with discussions over the forum. Unless there is an accountant type out there that just loves counting seeds (instead of beans.)? Or Token, just have another cup of coffee.

Luke

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Is there an excel template?

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

I can handle the emails but I am a paper and pencil type of person. Let me know if I can help in anyway!!

Heidi

• ontheteam
    14 years ago

Luke its not exactly what has been sown but we have a "friendly" compitetion by zone and people to see how MANY jugs/containers get sown.
    You come in and post your weekly sown count. Some organized person keep track. Flogs.. err encourages the zones that are getting their butt kicked and we all ohh and ah over the over achievers such as token.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Luke,
    It's just something to help some people spice up their winter. :-D

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

It's really fun, more competitive than I expected too. It's exciting to see the numbers in different zones and feel part of a gardening team, lol.

• luke_oh
    14 years ago

OK, I get it, thanks for setting me straight. I'm not a very competitive person and would probably lie about how many jugs I planted just to keep from getting flogged by the authorities. Or maybe just say that I'm in zone 7b, so Token can be on my team. Just like competitive fishing, competition takes the relaxation out of it. Ya All have fun, I'll spectate this year.

Luke

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Luke, you might want to stay in zone 5. I think they beat everyone else the last two years....

:)
    Dee

• lgslgs
    14 years ago

I think zone 6 is leading so far. :)

Let's just say it has been a very busy three days! VERY busy.

Zone Lynda

• dorisl
    14 years ago

Im just the idea guy here,

instead of making a person do it,

maybe there's one of those polling kinda things that would track it, everybody just enters their zone and the # of containers.....

I dunno how to find one tho...

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Seedmama did a wonderful job of it last year, I wonder if she's up to it this year?
    I don't know spreadsheets or I might,could, maybe, want to take up the torch.
    Will anyone step forward....
    Anyone?
    -B

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Doris, we could just keep track of our containers in a thread. The last person to post in a thread (150 posts each) can start the next one. No one gets emails. No one has to count.

Brandy, I emailed seedmama a couple weeks ago. She won't be doing the tally this year. She's got some things on her plate that are keeping her busy.

• columbusgardener
    14 years ago

I would be willing to do it - if... we have parameters.
    no posting to the thread - all emails to my addy ( I never understood how it was kept track of )and after your inital letter only post me about any ADDITIONAL containers sown. In the end I can post who had what.....

what constitutes a container - if you have one milk jug that is a container - no matter how segmented you have made it, the exception would be flats as they are not all created equally no matter how many it holds it should be counted as 8. I have some that hold 96 individual plants but I could never bring myself to count it as 96...

and for the war of zonage - pick one and put it in your location - be proud of where you are -

as for when to start and stop - what is the forums dictate? as I know there are some who have been sowing since Thanksgiving ( I will not include those in my totals as these are my experiments) But the original count only included Dec 21 - May 1

I can give updates by zone weekly? if you want me to do it let me know and if there are other criteria to consider then lets add it to the mix as well.

let me know

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Soemone mentioned an online polling system. I just did a quick search and found this one. its free, and even allows one to see the ongoing results. Might be fun.
    Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Mister Poll

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

I thought about it alot last night and will do it.
    My mommy said she'd help me with the spreadsheet stuff!
    (I'm 43 but still need my mommy sometimes, hehehe!)
    I'll start the thread now.
    -B

• gardenerme
    14 years ago

Awwww jeeez, if you can only count those seeds sowed after winter solstice, than none of mine will count. I have to start in August so that I can plant out in the fall. We don't have winter . . .

• mtbigfigh
    14 years ago

gardenerme
    I have been wanting to ask trudi d about this as -
    I have been reading about winter sowing for sometime but as you am in So Cal 10 - if I put my seeds out in winter I would have germination then plants growing and then reacting to hot for two weeks - then cold for a week then back to warm - then rain - then close to frost for week or so etc etc- I wonder if I would have to cover - uncover back and forth and would we have plants trying to set fruit in jan feb???

• mtbigfigh
    14 years ago

forgot to add tomatoes only

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH