Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

I can't believe I have to do this!

trudi_d
12 years ago

OMG. This is not what I wanted to be doing. Period.

I've been winning a few bids at the Daylily Auction site and so far have been very impressed with the big fat seeds and the speed of which the vendors have mailed them to me. An order arrived yesterday and to my dismay some of the seeds have already begun to sprout. Sigh. I am not too unhappy as it means the seeds are viable--hooray--but now I have to plant them inside. And I need to get a light set-up. Ugggh. I have the shelving, that's not a problem. I would like your best recommendations please for a two or four tube unit that I can control with an on/off switch and can plug in rather than wire directly into the wall.

Thanks in advance,

Trudi

Comments (11)

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Trudi, if you're thinking of a cheap shop light, most that I found at Home Depot and Lowes
    a. had to be hard wired into the ceiling, and/or
    b. were 4' in length

What length do you need?
    Do you know if you want t12, t8, or t5s?
    Those 2 questions will determine what your options are.

Karen

Karen

• Started_with_bean
    12 years ago

I bought a 4' unit that was a plug-in a couple of years ago from HD for about $10. But since it was too long for my space, I ended up buying a 2' plug-in online for about $20. This year I've also gotten myself a T5 from a hydroponics place nearby. It isn't cheap, but it'll give me better lighting than the $10 light. Depending on you needs, have you considered using CFLs on a couple of shop clamp spotlights? If you're only doing a few, you may not need a whole 4'.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Hmmmm. Seeds sprouting in December does not seem like a good thing. I wonder if you can contact the seller and ask them what to do with the seeds. They may be able to be stored in the fridge even with little sprouts. No way would I want to pay for electricity all winter to keep seedlings alive.

Last year I got some Daylily seeds in a SASBE/BEAP from a hybridizer on the seed exchange. She offered them in February and sent them moist and in little plastic baggies. I stored them in the fridge until sowing them in late April. They sprouted in less than 2 weeks and germinated near 100%.

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Once sprouted they need be sown. The electric for the shop lights won't be much, I'm not worried about that. I just want to get a light set that is reliable.

T

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

What size Trudi?

If you want 4', you should be able to find it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

I have a 3' and a little 2'shelves and I use t5 strips. They're not cheap though, and it might be more than you want to spend.

Karen

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I do want the daylilies. Sigh. Over the years I've learned well that hobbies are not cheap. Well, it is an investment, several winning bids on large lots of DL seeds are probably the least of the costs I'm expecting.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I feel the same. Gardening and reading are my only hobbies. My expensive t5s were an investment in my hobby. I enjoy growing my coleus from cuttings in the winter, and starting a few seeds (heat lovers like coleus and impatiens) in spring.

The initial $$$ outlay for the t5 lights was high, but they're the most energy efficient too, so probably save on the cost of electricity over other choices, and they save me the expense of buying all those coleus, impatiens, etc, in spring.

And, most important, I enjoy it.

{{gwi:458663}}

Karen

• kimka
    12 years ago

My cheap light set up was a plastic 4 shelf unit from the Value Village (or maybe it was Good Will), one four foot long aquarium light fixture hold two fluorescent bulbs also from Value Village (extra cheap). You might also check Craig�s list and Free cycle). There are many more aquarium light fixtures on Craig�s list than shop lights.

I did buy one four foot shop light fixture that plugged into the wall from Home Depot (definitely more expensive).

One warm white and one cool white rather than expensive plant bulbs in each fixture. One year I found another aquarium light cheap and I had three shelves of seeds going.

Heavy twine goes over the shelf above and through the fixtures above the bulbs with enough tail that I could keep the lights very close to the surface and then keep tightening the twine as the plants grew.

I plugged all three lights into a surge strip and then plugged that into a cheap timer to turn the lights on and off.

Finally big aluminum foil strips to tent the light fixtures. Of course those of us over 50 will instantly recognize what this set up looks like from college dorm closets.

THEN I discovered Trudi and winter sowing, Thank G-D. One year of trying it out and the next year, my indoor sowing was over.

Trudi, if you are headed down D.C. way, I'll even give you two of my light fixtures, 'CAUSE I AINT GOING BACK.

• vajeff
    12 years ago

Last year I used about 3 of the 24" fluorescent grow light fixtures from Walmart for a small hydroponic system. I think they were around $8 each.

• bigbob7777
    12 years ago

Got mine at Wally world. About $9.87 or so. I have 2-48" lights facing down and 2 facing up for bottom heat. I have plexiglass over the bottom lights so the plants have a solid base.

bob

• linda_jo
    12 years ago

Home Depot has Lithonia Lighting All Weather 4 Ft. 2 Light T8 Fluorescent Unit Shop light for $19.99 in my area. I copied that description since I had a hard time finding the light. I use to use this to grow seedlings indoors before I discovered WS. (thanks Trudi)
    Linda

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!