Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaesgarden

weird weather vs seeds

kaesgarden
9 years ago

I'm really hoping you'll give me good news but i'm not to hopefully, still you never know!

Everything here was looking positive, freezing weather, snow, fireplace roaring because it's to bitter to go outside. So i decided to winter sow my seeds and then a couple of weeks later now in December we get this weird warm front that has moved in and my seeds have sprouted. My lupines, even my blazing star, my Cerinthe major seeds and i'm too disheartened to go outside and look as to what else may of sprouted. Am i to guess that these seeds will now die? The freezing weather has returned - but i dont know what to do if anything?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i'll add hollyhock to the list.... sigh

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Your in a Z8...? it's going to be a wait and see. I don't sow this early unless its something that can't wait and needs a warm moist period first, but have had some things self sow that came up before years end that made it, candelabra primroses, foxglove, others.

Right now I've got baptisia about 3" tall that I sowed the same day I harvested and they are fine - but I admit to moving the container in and out of my garage about three nights in a row last month when we had temps in the low 20s.

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When is a good time to sow here in Wa? I've been considering purchasing the same seeds again as i really wanted them in my garden but i hate seeing them out there sprouted and growing.

• duane456
    9 years ago

I live in Oregon. I always wait until Jan. to winter sow. I've waited as long as middle of Feb., too.

• barbe_wa
    9 years ago

I live in Washington and I start trees and shrubs in December (the ones that need cold, warmer, cold), hardy perennials in January and February followed by hardy annuals, tender perennials and annuals, in order, ending in April. I wintersow cold hardy vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, peas, spinach etc. starting in late February. Although you can direct sow peas, I have to start mine by wintersowing because of the dadgummed birds that love to pull them up. I've been told they use the leaves to line their nests because it creates heat for the eggs as it breaks down. Mostly when you sow depends on your weather and whether you have some way to shelter sprouts in case of a sudden freeze. I just throw some row cover over my jugs and they survive just fine, but they are sheltered from the cold wind.

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess i really did jump the gun on winter sowing in this area then. I'll reorder the seeds i need and see if i cant start them again in jan / feb. At least my canna didn't sprout but i suppose it hasnt gotten that warm yet. Rookie mistake.

Thank you again.

9 years ago

Scarlett, some of the perennials, like your blazing star/liatris, don't need the chill to break dormancy, odd warm week and they'll germinate. Not your fault, it just happens sometimes. I don't run into it too often because I tend to only winter sow things that require the chill, unlike many others here who do most if not all their seeds that way....

The cerinthe will germinate in about 7-14 days at around 60F. If you want to be sure those don't sprout then be hit with a hard freeze, you might want to wait until the end of February or even into March. I haven't grown any since we moved, and have a downward facing slope below my bedroom where they would be pretty....I wonder if deer eat them.

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought i read the blazing star did require a winter in order to sprout. Gosh dang all my seeds. I feel bad for them. We've had such weird weather here that my foxglove mother plant decided to try to bloom again. I'm sure anyone in WA is experiencing the same. I was just so so excited to garden again. Next year i'll have a better understanding on the time lines.

9 years ago

You'll end up with some plants ;). The ups and downs of gardening.

And the liatris you sowed may very well have needed a chill, some do. L. spicata that I was growing did not need it but that's not true of all of them. I'm trying to give myself little breaks from a hectic month and sit down and garden online a little, my thoughts not always where they should be ;)

I had several rhododendrons get confused and bloom this Fall, a couple of them more than just a handful of flowers. One I was looking forward to adding some coral/pink color to a bed I reworked along the driveway really fully bloomed and will be just green in Spring, no flower buds left.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

I wouldn't panic yet. I have all kinds of seeds that have voluntarily sprouted in the ground that look 100% healthy and fine out there and which will be taking off come spring. Unless its a tender annual or you are really stretching your zone, its not that unnatural for several species to come up in zone 7 so I imagine even more would germinate and make it just fine in zone 8. I'd avoid direct sun if they are in containers just to keep them from frying or growing too quickly and keep the temperatures consistent. Consistency seems to be a bigger issue here than early germination. I keep mine under the carport in bright shade where it stays cooler on the warm days.

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After now having read a few of your posts i'm feeling slightly hopeful that i still may get a few keepers. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and just hope for the best. Bit sad that all 35 of my shrimp sprouted but i'll just keep a watchful eye on them.

I'll be better equipped now for next year. Happy sowing! Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year! :)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH