Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potting mixes with slow release fertilizer

Posted by clc70 8 Wa. (carterconnie@ymail.com) on
Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 19:20

I just read an article in Fine Gardening (seed starting myths) that says potting mixes with slow release fertilizer in it can be harmful to seeds. I just checked my potting mix and sure enough it has fertilizer in it. Has anyone ever had a problem with slow release fertilizers in their mix or is everyone careful about purchasing potting mixes without it for winter sowing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potting mixes with slow release fertilizer

I prefer to buy it without then fertilize when I see sprouts or when I transplant out.

o
RE: potting mixes with slow release fertilizer

The article you read was no doubt talking about starting seeds indoors and under lights.

Wintersowing is a different method of starting seeds and the info you read has nothing to do with this method of sowing seeds.

I've been using miracle grow potting mix every winter for 8 years now, this will be year 9 for me and I wouldn't use anything but Miracle grow. My success rate has been 100% to near 100% germination and planting out all of those containers every year.

Others use pro mix, farfed and some others that are compressed bails of soilless mixes to start seeds with.

I wouldn't worry about any type of fertilizer in your potting mix. the only thing I might be concerned with is using any potting mix that has anything in it to help retain moisture.

That can create havoc with the water content in the potting mixes. If you have too much rain in the spring it will hold far more water in it than you want and that is a problem.
I've personally seen the results of using the moisture control in the potting mix and the results where "liquid soup" for potting mix in the containers from far too much water, no germination in the containers and just a huge mess.

Fran

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here