Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to collect seed?

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 20:47

My friendly groundhog ate my Tithonia down to the ground at least half a dozen times this summer. He finally moved on and I actually got a few tithonia flowers in October. I left the spent flowers on the plants in hopes of letting the seed heads dry out. In the meantime, life got in the way and I never collected the seed heads. The ground is now covered in snow, the temps have steadily been below freezing (I'm in Boston MetroWest FWIW). Is it worth my while to trudge out back and collect those seed heads still on the plant? And plant them in Feb or March (when I sow my other annuals)? I can see seed heads thru my binoculars.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to collect seed?

If there are still seeds on the plants it is definitely not too late. You will have to trudge back there to look close to be able to see if the seeds have dropped out or not. Like many annuals, they self sow easily so if you didn't deadhead them you may have lots of plants volunteering in that spot in spring with no need to sow them at all. You could also sprinkle the seed on the ground and work them into the top layer of soil with a trowel after the snow melts when you clean out the garden.

o

I would think that the birds have eaten any mature seeds by now. The Goldfinches love the Tithonia and Zinnia seeds, and whatever seeds I don't collect they seem to eat them in the fall. Might be worth checking them out though.

o

I collected seed from my grandmother's garden back in late November when it was really cold and there was snow on the ground. I wasn't sure about it either , so I germination tested them when I got home and they grew just fine. Hope that helps. : )

o

I'd go out and snip off any flower heads left and bring them in to look for any seed left. If no seed, just toss in the garbage. If there are seeds, place them on a plate or paper towel to dry for a few weeks. At least in my area, I need to get Tithonia started early, if I want blooms before frost. So, I wintersow them in the warmest, most protected part of my yard and transplant as soon as risk of frost is done.

Martha

o

Thanks for the input. I trudged out today and got 3 or 4 seed heads. They all look like they have seed in tact. The rest are buried under snow. I've never had tithonia self sow. I'd be thrilled if I did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here