Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Something Told Me To Plant Tonight ;-)

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Well, boredom got the best of me and I planted seven containers tonight! Now I know they won't be counted as part of my Zone Wars total, but here's what I planted.

Columbine-Pink/White, Red/Yellow, Yellow, Lavender and 'Blue Barlow'

Wild Blue Lupine

Maltese Cross

So many left to go! I don't even have containers saved yet for my annual seeds. Luckily, I filled my four containers for Thursday with soil and I still have some leftover to plant maybe tomorrow.

So, anyone else plant early? Or am I all alone on this?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (7)

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    12 years ago

By the light of the silvery moon? Judging by that timestamp, maybe so? Made me think that you're not called Moonwolf for nothin' babe. Best wishes for Solstice, Brad!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Looks like you're flying solo on it Brad but considering the end result/benefits, there's no harm in making use of your time for winter sowing. I didn't get as antsy this year as I did last year so hopefully you'll find it's less of an urgent need to start early next year.

I put the time to good use printing labels for the things I'm going to WS on the solstice--Japanese red maple, crocosmia and beauty bush--since I've never grown any of them before. I've got seeds of both regular Japanese red maple/Acer palmatum and threadleaf JRM/Acer parlmatum var. dissectum thanks to a trade via the Seed Exchange plus a generous gift from tomva. He also sent me the Kolkwitzia/beauty bush seeds. Got the crocosmia 'Lucifer' seeds in a trade and am revved about growing those hoping to bring in more hummingbirds.

The Japanese red maples will have plenty of sun + room to grow since we lost so many trees in the October storm. If I get good germination, I'll offer the young trees to the local beautification committee for planting around town (i.e., library, town hall, schools, etc.) to replace trees that were lost in the storm.

Cross your fingers...and wish me luck!!!

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

You go Brad! It's still too warm for me.

• aklinda
    12 years ago

I can't order my seeds until Dec 31 and I hope they get here quick! I'll have all my supplies ready by the time the seeds arrive. I'm estimating I'll be done planting by the end of January, which is way earlier than I've ever gotten done before. I am anxious to get going.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, everyone! I did three more tonight (Dorinicum Little Leo, Double Feverfew and Echinacea Ruby Star). I don't know why I'm so antsy but I just got an urge to plant. The weather's been a little warmer than usual, but the rain's been making it cool.

It's been one heck of a month with getting ready for Christmas and all. 14 containers in three days' time may sound like a lot but given the size of some of the containers, it's not a lot of work since I prepped them ahead of time.

Best wishes to you all too!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Brad! I tried to send you an e-mail about the Strawflower seeds. It responded "Message Rejected". If you still want some send me an e-mail, I will send some to you.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ladyrose65, I did get your e-mail ;). Thank you so much!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored