Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilt_mommy

Best online place to order seeds?

quilt_mommy
14 years ago

Just wondering what your favorite online place to buy seeds is? I'd like to start ordering to winter sow and for spring, looking for reasonable prices and shipping. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

Comments (26)

• rbrady
    14 years ago

Hi! My favorites are:
    www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com
    www.summerhillseeds.com
    www.prairiemoon.com
    www.dianeseeds.com
    www.gardensnorth.com (canada)
    Most have good prices and reasonable shipping. The seed exchange and round robins are also great places to get seeds you are looking for.

Rhonda

• gardenluv
    14 years ago

I get a lot of my seeds from Heirloom Acres Seeds. I don't need super fancy things though but they have a decent selection that are cheap and shipping and handling is very low

Stefani

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    14 years ago

Here are 3 that I've ordered from this year. All have good prices.

https://www.superseeds.com

http://sampleseeds.com

http://www.tsflowers.com

Lois in PA

• token28001
    14 years ago

valueseeds.com is a good site. cheapseeds.com if you want lots for little money. I've ordered from Parkseeds.com and TMseeds.com too.

Be sure to check out the seed trading forum too. Sometimes you can snag a pretty good SASBE or BEAP offer and get free seeds for the price of postage.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I buy from a few places:

Swallowtail
    Thompson & Morgan (pricey!)
    Pinetree Seed
    Territorial
    Johnny's
    Seeds of Change
    Select Seed
    ValueSeeds

Is there really a PrairieMoon Seed company? Hey PM2, did you know that?!

:)
    Dee

• drippy
    14 years ago

Yes, Dee, there is. I will hopefully be ordering agalinis seeds from them (slender gerardia). I ran across ONE flower in Alabama this fall; of course, I could no longer find it in the field when it wasn't in flower anymore (hoping to collect seeds) - and I truly want this plant. As Wayne said, "It will be mine!"

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

I have to second Johnny's. I needed a very fast order of some bulk tomato seeds. I ordered it on Monday night and it got here this afternoon. That's very fast.

Some of my favorite seeds companies are...

Cheap Seed
    Gourmet Seed
    Renee's Garden
    NE Seed
    Totally Tomatoes

• conniesc
    14 years ago

quilt_mommy , u should post on your page the seeds that you are looking for. everyone here is very generous. I know I like to share my extra's.

• obrionusa
    14 years ago

If anyone is ordering from Johnny's or Harris I would like to add to your order. I cant justify shipping for just a few items.

• karendee
    14 years ago

Does anyone know of a good site to order Rudbeckia's? I am looking mostly for the other varities like browns, oranges, doubles, yellow eyes etc... T&M has them for about $3 per pack with not too many seeds. I would like to add more to my garden.

So far I will order from cheapseeds.com but those are all the normal ones. I am looking for some varitey.

Thanks!!

Karen

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Karen, Pinetree has a decent selection of Rudbeckias, and there prices are about the lowest around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rudbeckias at Pinetree

• karendee
    14 years ago

Thanks checking Pinetree now

Karen

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I mainly order from swallowtail, American Meadows, seedman.com, T&M (good sales there), Burpee, have a couple other places.

I try to group and time them to save on shipping but doesn't always work according to plan.

I'm not a seed-only type. If I want more of a guarantee I'll get plants for instant gratification and not seeds that fail, I order a lot from Bluestone Perennials.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Horizon Herbs
    Richter's Herbs
    The Thyme Garden
    Fedco
    Kitazawa
    Wild Garden Seeds
    Wildseed Farms
    Southen Exposure Seed Exchange

these are all places I order from regularly for vegetables and herbs - plus a few wild flowers!

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

so far I have ordered from Select Seeds and Value Seed

Next are Botanical Interest and Swallowtail Seeds
    Then I should be done!HAHAHA!!
    -B

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

Considering Select Seeds is a Garden Watchdog Top 30 company and considering it's just 14 miles east of here AND since I'm winter sowing for the first time this year, I'm thinking I'll have to take a drive up there soon and check it out. Anything I can bring back for anybody while I'm there?

• karendee
    14 years ago

gardenweed_z6a, I am jealous! I bet that will be fun browsing all those seeds!
    Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

Console yourself with the fact I can't get there anytime soon. It's been snowing non-stop and it's not a route you take on slippery roads--very hilly and more than a couple tricky curves. At least two very steep hills as well. It's right off CT Route 190 but last time I drove out that way Stickney Hill Road wasn't even paved in some spots. If we get a break in the weather, I'll try to check it out. Want pics?
    Eileen

• quilt_mommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, thank you for all of your suggestions!

aliska12000 - I live less than an hour drive from Bluestone Perennials! I have purchased many plants from them...most of the plants have thrived. I will for sure try your other suggestions! Thank you!

highalttransplant - wow, those are some great prices at Pinetree! Very much what I was looking for. Thank you!

token28001 - LOVED the valueseeds site - but it says they no longer have seeds? :(

• karendee
    14 years ago

Yes please take pics. I can at least drool over the seeds :)

I have trouble deciding on the best value. the seed exchange has got me spoiled on the # of seeds per pack. Traders give way more then a commercial pack.

Karen

• milehighgirl
    14 years ago

I was just reading a post on another forum and it mentions that Value Seeds is no longer in business.

http://www.valueseeds.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Value seeds is gone!

• liza070831
    14 years ago

I don't think anyone mentioned Crosman Seed. Their prices are about the same as the now discontinued Valueseeds. I've had good luck with them.

• quilt_mommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

AHHH - liza070831, perfect!!! Have you ordered from this site before?

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Yes, I order some seed from Crossman's frequently. They have some nice oldfashioned flowers.

You do not get many seeds in the package, but the packets are a nice price and I love that they haven't changed the packaging since the early 60's. I buy annuals from them, and have excellent germination rate. Their petunias are my favorites.

• liza070831
    14 years ago

I have ordered from them too and like girlgroupgirl I was really happy with what I got.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I just got a catalog from a place called Abundant Life Seeds. A brief look at the catalog told me it is a sister company to Territorial, and had lots of their inventory wiped out in a fire, and are finally starting to get back up to speed.

What caught my eye, though, was that they actually encourage and give tips for saving your own seed! I thought that was really unusual for a seed company - after all, if we save our own seed, we won't be buying more. I thought this was a great outlook/attitude for this company - they also mention that the fire had an effect on this outlook.

Can't recommend the company yet as I haven't tried them, but thought I'd pass this along because I found it so interesting.

:)
    Dee

P.S. Thanks for the Crosman tip. I'll be checking them out!

Sponsored