Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micki777

Gardenweed, Duane, Bakemom, and Trudi you gyes are soooooo

micki
12 years ago

A W E S O M E ! ! ! ! thank you all so much for adopting this newbiew and giving me so many seeds.

Special thanks to each of you,

Thanks especiallly to Gardenweed who has taken a lot of time helping me with even the smallest details. You are so organized and have great models to follow, such as your spreadsheet which I used your categories and added a few of my own. I love you ws pictures which prove how successful wsing is if you just have a little faith and do the simple steps. And I must mention how well you are at your Botanical names, and the detail on your seed labels. Wow. You are also have a great photographer's eye. The 2 swans with their reflection in the water was beautiful, the bublebee in the foxglove flower, the water dripping off the bleeding heart and the many beautiful color combinations.

Duane, you have been very generous! Your seeds look in excellent shape, you are very organized and neat and also very helpful with several emails, answering whatever and any of my questions. I liked the website on how to increase germination. You have a beautiful yard and some of the most beautiful ornamental grasses. You have so many beautiful flowers that I can't wait to see sprout this Spring. Cherry colored Lupines, Giant Delphiniums, numerous Salvias, Galardias and and a gorgeous Rudbeckia. So does Gardenweed have an outstanding variety of flowers.

I am most grateful to you Duane for sending me so many different seeds so that I would build up my base and possibly be able to trade, but I think between you and Gardenweed I have more than I can ever sow and grow. Yes Gardenweed sent me many different types of seeds too.

This experience has taught me about different beautiful flowers that I may have otherwise not have been interested in, such as Galardia. They can be as beautiful as a Rudbeckia.

Thank you to Bakemom and Trudi, both very helpful. Trudi I love your website and want to take all the quizzes and learn. Here's a link if anyone else is interested. "Winter Sown quizzes and puzzels fun for all"

Thank you Bakemom for distributing the Newbie packs and everyone here at Garden Web who donated their seeds to the forum.

As I promised to Duane I will pay this forward. I'm not going anywhere, I'll be here next year to pay it forward. If I'm not on the board I'm busy sowing, or filling pots, or something to do with wintersowing. I will really be singing and dancing this Spring when I lift the lids up and see sprouts. Don't tell my neighbors but I'm getting ready to do the jig in my basement after I get off this board. LOL

THIS IS SOO MUCH FUN.

Thanks also to Kent for the Japanese Maple Tree seeds. And all the information you provided.

Thank you also to River for the Desert Rose Succulent seeds.

I will let everyone know how my success is with photo documentation.

QUESTIONS?? How to proceed. I wrote down the names of the seeds on a Spreadsheet in ABC order. Some of the seeds have more discription than others. I wish I could make labels with some detail on them, like sun and water requirements but maybe just the name is enough.

What do you think?

I thought I would print out labels in ABC order too. I thought I would alphabetize my seeds too. I will have a list of all my seeds and check off the ones that I sow and the date I sowed them. Any advice at this point??

Also what kind of box, container, filing system, do you use to hold your seeds in; to keep them at your finger tips?

WSers are the nicest and bazzarist people on the web because they get excited about dirt and seeds, LOL

Whoses going to be dancing nakkid on Winter Solstice?

Comments (12)

• ymaddox
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

somebody's excited lol

• micki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HeeHeeHee

• drippy
    12 years ago

Hey, Mikki, congratulations! I am betting you won't be disappointed. I'm a vet (sower, that is), having done this for nine years now, and just moved to a new home June of 2010 in northern AL after 14 years in Gardenweed's area. I have an amazing number of wintersown plants established now already, with plans to do a lot more this year.

As far as organization goes: I used to keep a spreadsheet with name, botanical name, container # (I still # my containers - I have a lot, and it helps me to cross-check easily), date sown, date germinated, date transplanted, source (gathered, trade or commercial), year packed/gathered, whether or not there were seeds left over, height and color information. It got to be too much for me, so now I just keep a notebook I hand write in: date sown, container #, botanical or common name, source & year, seeds left?, germination date?, transplant date. Much easier for me.

Organizing seeds, and I have a LOT (thousands): I separate into 3 large categories - commercial, trade, gathered. Gathered, which is the smallest, gets separated by year gathered, then alphabetized. The other two, which have tons of seeds, get separated into type (annual, perennial, vegetable, herb) and year. Trade seeds then go into the emptied small boxes that held the coin envelopes I use to pack my own trades, marked with year and type. Commercial seeds get alphabetized and held together with a rubber band. The whole shebang gets stored in two rather large plastic containers (potentially 3 this coming year....)to stay cool & dry. For the most part, this insures that I can find a particular variety from my 60-something page "Seeds I Have" list easily. I recommend having less seeds, but I am a full-fledged member of SA (Seedaholics Anonymous).

Most important is to have fun - you will develop your own style, more or less different from everyone else's, as you go.

Nope, not dancing nekkid on Solstice - don't much like the cold! :)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

Who else would get excited about a truckload of horse sh*t?

• micki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love it!

So do you think expandable coupon holders is a bit much?
    Would it be best to sort them based on the people who sent them and which ones I am most interested in planting?

You and Gardenweed seem to have the same strategy on organization, so I think I need to keep it simpler.

I absolutely gets nuts about a truck load of mushroom mulch, would take off work early to get it hauled about,

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

MIcki,
    I'm just now looking for a new seed organization strategy. I've had them in various category bags, such as "natives", "tall", "vines", "annuals", "veggies", "butterfly hosts". I'm thinking I might get some of the card collector pages, those that have clear slots for baseball cards, etc. Or maybe just a 3x5 inch flash-card box like many use for recipes. I could put the seeds between the labelled cards. I'd love something that had some sort of clip to hold the little bags. Maybe I'll do a search of this site. I haven't done that in a while.

Martha

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Who else would get excited about a truckload of horse sh*t?

...or having eight 55-quart bags of MG potting mix in the garage along with a 3.2 cu. ft. bale of Fafard professional growers mix?

...or being more giddy about Dec. 22 than Dec. 25?

...or the dozens and dozens of new seed types waiting to be WS?

• micki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    to Docmom, I started out with coupon solders - small epandable files, and bought 2 sets of tiny little drawers 3 layers deep, clear plastic construction. I nearly blew 20 bucks. this didn't seem right in lue of the fact that we are recycling most everything else. So I bought envelopes for a dollar at Dollar General and have plenty room for seeds. I have about 5 boxes, I already had one. But you can even tell your friends to save those for you. And you can use index cards for deviders. I actually used a postoffice box, taped it shut so it was now a square (in general). Then I cut it in half, or you could make a lid and not cut the halves equally. The envelope boxes fit perfectly in there.

I had everything Alphabetized by the Botanical name but am changing my mind and alph. in the common Name. I will hopefully be selling some of my plants and intend to make a corresponding bulletin board.

I also have a Spreadsheet which is quite detailed and I put down who gave me the seeds and see how well they germed.

Transplant date is important too? Yes I can seed that? Incase they went into shock, or if they did well you could repeat it next yr.
    Micki

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Awww. So sweet, and thank you so much. Thank you everyone.

I'm looking forward to Solstice Sow this season, hoping it will pull me up and get me back on track. My son married a wonderful lady this fall and then promptly moved to the other side of the country ;-O I've been on an emotional roller-coaster ride but lately I'm a bit more steady and feeling a lot better. Solstice Sowing, I think, will help a lot to reground me to all that is wonderful and right in the world.

I'm not sure if I'll be prancing around butt nekkid outside as it's been drizzling icy rain--Solstice is at 5:30 UTC--but, I do have up my winter drapes and nobody can see through them, lol, so maybe something scanty will do, too bad I don't have camouflage undies.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I'm trying the puzzles, I made these so many years back, and you know what, I've forgotten many of the answers. I need a refresher course in Winter Sowing.

• micki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...or being more giddy about Dec. 22 than Dec. 25?...or the dozens and dozens of new seed types waiting to be WS?

These are so true Gardenweed,LOL

Hi Trudi hope you've gotten your grove on and have started dancin' too. When my daughter got married and moved all over the country I really felt the empty nest syndrome, I can feel your pain girl. Your quizzes are amazingly made.

Docmom, let me know how you're coming with a seed organizer. but for now whats working for me are the small envelope boxes cut in half horizontally. I mean cut the tops off, then reinforce with duct tape, (we have that handly right?) Ha.

Let me know you all if there is a special forum to applaud all these people that have helped me, like a REVIEW board. Then do you start a new post or look up the person's name and add onto that? I looked up Gardenweed and saw a lot of posting with her name in them and landed here, so I made sure I answered everyone that's been here since I started this post. Glad I caught Trudi, clap clap.
    And clap, clap clap to all of you Veteran or beginner WSers, the Craziest people around.

Who else would be truckin' jugs out in the garden when it's freezing rain and snow. LOL

Keep having fun.
    Micki
    up to 153 jugs

• Sally "Cricket" Benfer
    12 years ago

What is the spreadsheet?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!