Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenman101

New to Winter Sowing

gardenman101
11 years ago

I just descovered this paticular forum, and I tell you it has given me the WS bug. I have access to plenty of containers, but i have not ordered seed yet (got all my veggies though) I didnt relise how easy WS was, and Thank You Trudi for that informative video on You-Tube. Now I have to figure out how to slip more seeds into the budget...lol. What veggies can I winter sow right now?

Thanks to all on this forum

Comments (13)

• terrene
    11 years ago

Welcome Gardenman. Starting plants from seed is the greatest! You will love it, esp. if you like to grow lots of variety and numbers of seeds.

Check out the Seed Exchange forum, many generous posters there who will share seeds for the price of postage. Also, the newbie pack by Bakemom. And Trudi shares seeds on her website too, I think?

I have no idea if there are any veggies you can sow now. Probably too early.

• gardenman101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ty Terrene, I have started most of my seeds under lights in the basement, but after reading the winter sowing forum and watching Trudis video, I relised that i was dedicating space to stuff that could be started outside using the WS meathod. I am learning new things everyday, and theese forums are teaching me more. I will check out the seed exchange, as I have been a member since 2006 I do not meet the requirements for the Newbie swaps. Looking forward to posting photos of my progress here.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

It's too early for vegetable. Start them in March or April. I think you are eligible for a newbie pack. Since first time WSing. If you would like some poppies, I got plenty send me you and e-mail. You can sow seeds that have a hard coat.

• gardenman101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ladyrose65,
    Ty I would love some of your poppies. My e-mail doesnt show in post title?

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

if you go to my page and click send me an e-mail. It will come to my e-mail address. Send your name and address. Also check out my seed trade list.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

It's really not too early for veggies, depending on the type. I do my tomatoes in Feb -- they don't sprout till they're ready. You can do broccoli and other cole veggies now, too. It's really not too early for anything that would naturally re-seed in the garden. I've done petunias in early Jan. and had success. Again, nothing is going to sprout until it's warm enough.

Caryl

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    11 years ago

gardenman,

DONT BUY FLOWER SEEDS!

If you are looking for flower seeds drop me a line with your addy and I will send you a couple dozen packs of flower seeds to winter sow with.

Lisa

• joraines
    11 years ago

Hey, I have just discovered this particular subject, winter sowing and I think I could save a lot of $$ I don't have by sewing seeds in the ground early. But if someone could point me in the right direction to learn more about it, I would appreciate it!!!! I especially am interested in winter sowing hosta if that's possible?!

• terrene
    11 years ago

Joraines, there are various methods of sowing seeds in the winter, and scattering seed over the ground or even the snow is one way. For example, I sow poppies in early March by scattering over the snow in the garden.

The winter sowing method we use on this forum, uses containers that are filled with potting mix and seeds and put outside in the winter, and then they will sprout when conditions are conducive. Check out the FAQ at the top of the forum, or check out Trudi's website wintersown.org to learn more about this method.

• joraines
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for your reply! After posting this, I did find the FAQ section and have been reading about it. (I am also filling out my heirloom seed order from Baker Creek for a vegetable garden this year). I have been an ornamental gardener and would love to be able to buy a lot of seeds for both my flower and shrub gardens and a vegetable garden. I'm going to start saving some containers and give it a try!!! Thank you again!

• gardenman101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey fellow GWers, sry it took me so long to reply to some of you, I had issues with e-mail accounts and I just recovered most of your emails. Looking foward to being online again to. Thanks for the info on WSing as well learned a bit from it and managed to scrape up a few seeds that are doing well.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Gardenman, do you have any ws sprouts yet?

• gardenman101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I dont have many. I have a few poppies and Bachelor Buttons that are peeking through. Alot of my seed was old, so not sure whats going on with them. I do have some tomatos amnd cabbage as well that were voulonteer WSers coming up....does that count?....lol

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!