Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

Containers

ladyrose65
13 years ago

I am a newbie and have been reading the post. Some of you got 300 or 400 containers!

Where in the world do you get all these containers. Is there a wholesale discount retailer?

We drink/cook with bottled water. That's where I've been collecting. Though, I got some good plastics 15 cent at Amazon Savings.

Let me in because I'm in need of containers for my future Ws.

Comments (65)

• jodie74
    13 years ago

On another post I read, they said the "rule of thumb" is if you press your thumb on the back side of it & you can see your thumb than you can use it & it allows enough light in to germinate seeds. Make sense?

Jodie

• cab321
    13 years ago

That sounds like an easy to follow rule. Thanks Jodie.

• Ann
    13 years ago

You can also use gallon ziplock bags but that can be difficult. There are also those who will steal out in the dead of night and poke through their neighbor's trash cans, but I'm not saying WHO that might be. LOL

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You All. I'm am starting to re-look Containers'.
    I enjoyed the pictures! Wow...! Recycling in the neighborhood! Sounds Good!

Expressing Thank You's and Happy Holidays to ALL:
    floodthelast, countrycarolyn,
    suecirish, jodie74, ambybeth82,
    hostarookie, docmom, terrene, paulan70,
    and kmpsmom.

• jodie74
    13 years ago

countrycarolyn-Peanut butter in the bathroom...... LOL!! Glad you explained....... tehehehe

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

LOL!!

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

Have used many kinds of plastic containers but the gallon milk jugs are my absolute favorites. I toss them each year and have no problems finding enough for the following winter.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Do you have a Starbucks, Carribou or Seattle coffee store near you? If so, ask the Mgr. if they will save the gal. milk jugs for you and commit to picking them up a few times a week.

Ask your neighbor, family members or like Ann mentioned, go around after dark or early morning when the recycle bins go out and you'd be surprized at how many you collect. Always take along a large plastic trash bag with you, wear plastic gloves when you reach in for the jugs, liter soda bottles. If you are caught, tell them it's for your child or grandchild's science project! Or tell them about Wintersowing. Got a neighbor that has a large family of kids or even several? Their recycle bins would be good picking! Next time you are in the grocery store alone, observe how many things are packaged in clear containers. There's the deli dept. bakery dept. the bottle water, some candies, produce aisle, salad bar..there are numerous selections. Do you ever buy liquid beverages like ice tea, fruit juices in plastic containers? Today manufacturers are getting smart, it is probably cheaper to package in plastic as it avoids breakage of glass containers. The holiday season would be a great time to find lots of containers. People have parties probably will have a lot of liter bottles to discard of..even church recycle bins..we have a coffee hour where punch is served along with coffee and hot tea every Sunday..they go through at least 8-12 liter of ginger ale or fruit juice each Sunday. Now that we've opened your eyes a little..dress warm and happy hunting!

If you ask people to save milk jugs for you, ask if they will wash them out as there's nothing worst than a sour milk odor, but if you get some that haven't been washed out, just mix some bleach in the water and shake the bottle a few times or let it sit for a few minutes, dump the water and rinse it out again..When I empty a milk or ice tea container, I automatically rinse the container twice and then turn it upside down in my dish drain or even on a paper towel to drain before putting it away. You do know that you throw the caps to the milk jugs and liter bottles away when you wintersowing, as you won't need them. Any other questions, post and you'll get lots of helpful tips. Remember we were all Newbies at one time. Last year was my first time WS..

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Liter bottles are great but they they are coming with a molded bottom that is hard to break through. I use a soldering iron tool to make my holes in my containers..quick and easy but the thick plastic bottoms of those liter bottles are a challenge..takes longer to break through that molded plastic.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Pppi21, I am avid Starbucks customer. I will talk to the manager. Great Idea!

I have done a couple of coke bottle with the thick bottom, I drilled small holes from inside to out. Then I put water in the bottom to see where it will not drain.

Kept drillin!

• mary grether
    13 years ago

thanks for the information! I thought you had to use a special kind of container, and I have a bunch around the house thats empty. I have to rummage my trash! I just threw away a 2liter bottle!

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I would put several holes in the bottom. I wouldn't make them to big but big enough to where you can see through them. If you put dirt in your pot and a lot falls out then they are WAY to big. If you put dirt in your pot and a little dust and maybe just a little to where you really don't notice that is perfect.

Another container, dishwashing liquid!!

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

I am new to winter sowing. We drink alot of bottled water, so we get the 2.5 gallon jugs. Comes with a drain hole (I've been poking more holes). I just cut the top almost off, so it's easy to reattach and voila! A large winter sowing container...

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Okay, here's a challenge for the Newbies..we've given you lots of ideas for containers to use..want to hear what you find when you put your mind to being a scavenger..you'll surprize yourself. If your neighbors put their recycle bin out after dark, go snooping and see what you can find for WS..remember put those rubber gloves on..Of course in this frigid weather, you'll have warm winter gloves on anyhow. Put the plastic gloves over top of your winter gloves and then you won't get your winter gloves soiled. We'll be looking for a report from ya' Check the neighborhood..anybody having a party over the holidays? Because of the cost of New Year's Eve at some big hotel, a lot of people are entertaining friends/family at home. They'll be using a lot of liter containers, milk jugs, deli containers, etc. Go for it! Remember you don't have to do this all in one night or one recycle day..Ask your Starbucks or Carribou coffee store for their gal jugs..they use a lot of milk or cream.. Don't forget kids drink a lot of fruit punch or apple juice or o.j. then there's commerical eggnog for the adults. Big slurpee cups from 7-11. Margerine containers, yogurt containers 16 oz. or larger. Ever buy ice cream in the big plastic tubs with the handle on it? You can plant a lot of seeds in that!

• terrene
    13 years ago

Countrycarolyn, you might have difficulty getting the seedlings out of the container like the dishwashing liquid, if it has an irregular shape. Same problem with the new contoured Coke bottles. I like the 1 and 2 liter bottles that have straight sides all the way up and down, so the potting mix and seedlings slip out easily.

Gardenunusual, I have used the 2.5 gallon water jugs just like you described, and they worked very well.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Were not exactly the friendly neighborhood here! RURAL and nobody speaks to one another. I am going to try Starbucks. But on my own I've been collecting 4 waterjugs on every 2 days.

Terrene, that's a good question. I've been wondering about Lodging the seedling from these containers. The jugs I have done before. Not coke bottles or cups. Is there a 'Rule-of-Thumb' for Lodging out.

• ellenrr
    13 years ago

My favorite is the lettuce containers because they have a cover. Mostly I use plastic water jugs, they work well for me, and as others have said, I have no problem getting them (I live in a city) by going out on recycling day.

• daisydawnny
    13 years ago

I have the tall beverage cups I set in trays and then put in the zip up bags that comforters/sheets come in...they work great! I store my milk jugs in the shed and use them over and over.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Last year I didn't have to much problem for how I sowed my container in my weird shaped water bottles. Though one I did sow a little heavy and I did have to cut it down in order to get the seedlings out. So I guess I could say I lost 1 bottle but I gained the knowledge not to sow to many seeds in a container. Plus I find the seedlings grow better when they are not so crowded together.

The container I had to cut is in the bottom left hand corner. I made my cut right as the bottle starts to do the curve action.

{{gwi:215655}}

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Ok neat freaks look away, LOL!! Here is my miss mash of containers as of today!!

As I was digging through everything I forgot another container I didn't mention. Icing container!!

Enjoy!!

{{gwi:215654}}

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The 9fl oz water containers. Love IT! Lovin the pictures!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

To those of you still collecting containers, Trudi has illustrated on Wintersown.org how to modify solid light blocking lids.

• weebay
    13 years ago

I second morz8 statement above. Some of the containers in the photo above need some light. With the yogurt and coffee jugs, cut out the center of the lid and replace with a piece of plastic.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

You know I keep hearing that about light and those containers.

Though ya do realize not ALL seed does need light to germinate??

Comparing all seed in one category is like comparing an apple and to an orange.

I have gotten germination with the methods that have been used above. Though I do plenty of research on my seed. I have been growing from seed for several decades.

Though I do appreciate the clarification for those that are new to growing from seed!!

13 years ago

Another note, and only directed to those open to suggestions - anyone else can ignore: All SEEDLINGS need light whether the seeds do or not. We can't all check containers more than once a day to evaulate germination and the easiest most fool-proof way to do that is to follow Trudi's lead.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Oh I agree that all seedlings need light morz. Though nothing is suppose to germinate till march. Right?? My lids will not be on then!!

Show us your containers morz, you know I have never seen one picture of your garden!! Show us by example will you pretty please!! :D

13 years ago

Carolyn, I have nothing to prove to you. You are free to assume that I have no garden, have no camera, have neither, or no interest in taking photos. It's your choice.

My concern was in seeing a photo that may not be the best example and could be misleading to others new this year to the process. My post would have read the same no matter whose photo. I know you don't want my help and wasn't directing it to you.

My suggestion about modifying lids wasn't given to you personally. Let it go.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I was just saying I bet with all of the advice you give I bet your gardens are magnificent. I would love to see pictures of them. Though you are free to take my comment any way you like. ;)

I bet your trade list is wonderful also. :D

Though I still say that experience and reading are two different things. There is always misleading advice in every corner you look. I think even you yourself have said that as long as you can see a thumb through your container it is ok. Yet when I show pictures of it, it is not.

Morz maybe you should be the one letting it go!! Seriously why you continue to always try and get a leg up on me and try to prove something wrong with a growing method that I do is beyond me. Should I go and correct every bit of misinformation that you have given through out this entire forum?? Cause believe it or not I have found plenty, and yet I have let it go!!

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Lol, I find it funny that you get defensive when I only state what I have done and what works for me. You have to turn it into the faq's when I clearly have stated time and time again reading and experience are 2 different things.

When a person experiences something and they go to a website and see that there is inaccurate information given that person knows that site is known to give bad information. Though someone that only reads and never experiences anything would have no idea what site is reliable and which is not.

Now you can get from that what ever you would like. Though I have made my judgment and my opinion.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it is probably a duck.

13 years ago

I don't understand what you just wrote....it doesn't even make sense to me. At all. Did I reference something from a site to you that you didn't like, I'm completely confused.

This was what I found when you said I'd insulted you, in fact you indicated I had probably insulted hundreds. Cut and paste. "Carolyn, your enthusiasm is admirable! But, this will be your first year?.... unless you have seeds to play with, extras you don't count among your 'must have' plants...you might try what has worked most often before straying too far from the FAQs, you'll have a better idea what will work for you then."
    And today, I wasn't defending myself, I don't need defending. I was explaining myself in the hopes you would quit taking everything I say on any forum as a direct arrow at you. My GW habits have not changed at all in many years and they won't.

And I give up. We will never agree.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

For the first question. It is not about a site whether I like it or not. It is simply about if it is reliable. Point being once again. If someone had experience in growing any kind of plant they could take their experience and discern which site is actually reliable and which is not. For a person that has no hands on experience they would not have that knowledge to discern that fact. To answer if you have time and time again used sites that give inaccurate information, the answer would simply be, YES. Have I seen you give inaccurate information?? Yes.

In regards to the copy and paste I am over that. That is you, that is simply it. If someone tries or suggest something different from what you read then you want to try and show that person how wrong you think they are. Well morz I am sorry but I still continue to say that experience is much more effective than reading.

Anyone that has gardened knows this!!

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

ladyrose65 - if you are still monitoring the thread you started, I hope you will not be discouraged by the previous negative & argumentative comments posted. They are not the norm on this forum.

To answer your original question, I'm lucky to have a neighbor who thinks my winter sowing idea is a total HOOT so he brings me a truckload of milk jugs from the town landfill every Monday. He also brought me heirloom apple & pear tree seeds and asked if I would winter sow them for him as he had no luck himself last year. I use a professional growers mix and he's hoping that will do the trick.

Just for grins & giggles I asked the Starbucks kiosk where I work to save milk jugs for me and have brought home a trunk full since.

I got caught up in the excitement last year and winter sowed nearly 500 containers. I gave away perennials to neighbors, friends, family & coworkers who encouraged me. They were happy to get free, healthy perennials and have since reported that many bloomed first year from seed.

Feel empowered, not bedazzled. Winter sowing works.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I think those who are in disagreement need to drop the subject immediately. If you want to disagree, take it off-line through private emails.

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Yes, please.Peace on earth and good will to all.
    cAROL

• steve22802
    13 years ago

The best source I've found so far for containers is the recycling bin of a nearby college cafeteria. They toss out a never ending supply of food grade containers. Lots of translucent heavy gauge HDPE. I've been getting 5 gallon square vegetable oil containers lately. They also have nice heavy duty gallon jugs, much stronger than standard milk jugs. I would think that most institutional cafeterias (i.e. schools, hospital cafeterias, nursing home cafeterias, etc.) would be similar. Any place that serves huge quantities of food will generate huge quantities of large containers. I expect that fast food restaurants would go through a lot of veg oil containers for their fryers, but they might buy it by the barrel... ;)

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, stil perusing this post. I hope the newbies are too.

I go on WinterSowing.org as well. I believe that Trudi's site. Great stuff, it's what got me interested to begin with.

Now, I have to stop the seed buying! I think I've stopped. Looking for White Salivia or something like Russian Sage but white. I got too many blue's.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Eww a person can never have to many blues!! As a matter of fact half of my garden is purple or blue, LOL. Very few are true blue, and only one that I have ever grown is a true blue perennial. Leadwort or I call it perennial plumbago or botanical is Ceratostigma plumbaginoides. I can't figure out how to save a seed off that little plant to save my life. This spring I will be looking for homes for it. I got 1 person that is interested already, so if anyone else wants some keep it in mind about may, cause that is when I am going to be splitting it again.

Here is a picture from a few years back. Yes it is that true blue color!!

{{gwi:406078}}

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

ladyrose65 - give in and just buy the seeds. It's more likely you'll run out of containers before you run out of seeds. I've got an entire shoebox FILLED with commercial seed packs that didn't get WS last year even though my container count was close to 500. I just kept buying more seeds even though I had more WS containers than any human being could ever hope to plant out in a year. The time may or may not come when you don't feel compelled to buy yet another packet of seeds. I'm guessing not but it's one way to just cope with the addiction affliction. (;-p)

While seed packs in colorful, cleverly-designed envelopes are difficult to resist, I find more satisfaction harvesting seeds myself. I can't begin to describe how excited I was when I noticed my neighbor's St. John's wort & spirea shrubs had seedpods on them and those seedpods contained seeds I was able to harvest & trade. One symptom you've got it bad is looking at pretty flowers and wondering what their seedpods will eventually look like. Okay, I'll admit I've taken as many photos of seeds & pods as I have the flowers from whence they came!!! Everybody's got to have a hobby, right?

BTW -- this year's container count stands at 45 so far.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I used to harvest seed, put them in the Deep Freeze and forget about them. I found some strawflower seeds from like 14 years ago. I don't like my plants to go to seed, I'm a pincher!

Seed buying can be an addiction, but I stopped buying shoes...! (I can't wear those really high heels!)

• terrene
    13 years ago

I've been wondering about Lodging the seedling from these containers. The jugs I have done before. Not coke bottles or cups. Is there a 'Rule-of-Thumb' for Lodging out.

Ladyrose, to address your concern above with a few ideas. In 2008, my first year doing this, I used some contoured 1 ltr bottles. Since I usually plant out late, sometimes all summer and fall, by then the roots have filled the container. The contours can make it difficult to get the seedlings out when seedlings have lots of roots. Using a container with straight sides, including milk jugs, 2 ltr, cup, etc., the seedlings can be worked out much more easily.

Many people transplant when the seedlings are quite small and carefully dig them out with a spoon or small trowel. In this case, container shape doesn't matter as much.

I don't use the HOS method that much, except for plants that like Alyssum or Cal. poppies, that grow very well in a bushy clump. In that case, a large wide flat container such as salad box or lasagne pan, can be used and you can cut the seedlings up like a pan of brownies.

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

countrycarolyn- I loooooove blue flowers. Can't get enough. That's why I am trying meconopsis bentoficiala. I hope I don't kill it. Been trying to mix it up a bit. Did you start those from seed? Absolutely gorgeous.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I have to admit no I didn't start them from seed. It was actually one of the very few plants I paid full price for from retail. I have searched everywhere to get information on seed collection. Even all my experience on seed saving has still got me stumped on this little plant. Somewhere I read where it is suppose to contain 3 to 5 black seeds. Well I never have found anything like that. Some say that the little sticks are the seeds. Well I just tried a simple germination procedure to see if that was true and I didn't get any germination. So unless they need to be stratified or a warm cool warm period I believe what I collected was chaff.

I still have a ton of the heads on the plant as I seldom cut it back in the fall cause of the red color it turns when frost moves in. So if someone would like to try some of what should be seed let me know. I have a ton of it, but I can not guarantee it is seed.

That plant is pretty neat and it is drought tolerant, once I got it established I haven't watered it since. It is thicker now than in that picture. Though a momma bunny made a nest in it last spring. I thought it was precious watching momma and her babies dig in my flowers!!

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

Some things are worth buying from a nursery. This year I scored on a clearance sale.

I would love to trade some when the time is right. That's neat that it provides fall interest as well.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Well just keep it in mind about may, I will make a post somewhere. Another wser got a clump so maybe out of all of us we can figure out where the seed is. lol

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Re: saving and reusing milk jugs. I have found that MN winters are very hard on my milk jugs. The third year they start to break apart. I was dismayed to see my sprout filled containers fall to the ground when the handle disintegrated as I was moving them.

The 2Ls have held up very well and I do save them though they are bulky. I put tops in one large box and bottoms in another large box. That way I don't have to pry them apart when I'm ready to plant.

• tomva
    13 years ago

Good point Terrene,I used some contour containers and the kind that had grooves on the sides,they were definetly much harder to get the clumps out.even lost a few seedlings cause of this . A few I had to cut up the side to get the clumps out..The smooth sided ones were much easier and I still have them to reuse this season...

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

terrene: I am new to this and noticed your pic above with the 2L bottles. If you cut the bottoms off the tops, do you plant in both sides? If you only sow in the bottoms, how do you attach back the tops?

I am definitely going to need to do some dumpster diving for some containers so this has been a VERY helpful thread.

Also, could you cut off the bottoms of the bottles, set them in the ground and sow seeds "in place" with the top hinged? I live in zone 8B so we have very little freeze and definitely NO snow.

• jolj
    12 years ago

As you can see on this tread most anything can be recycled.
    But some people buy annuals in 1 gallon pots(3quarts) nursery pots & put the pots on the street.
    I pick them up, when I collect the leave & grass clipping for my compost pile.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner