Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

How Do Your Organize Your Seeds?

Pamchesbay
14 years ago

Hi All:

I'm very new, but I'm ordering lots of seeds and am already having trouble keeping track. I organized seeds by type (perennials, annuals, vines, herbs, cool and hot weather weather vegetables, etc.) but that doesn't provide enough useful information.

Color? Size? Expected place in a garden bed? Special features (long lasting, fragrant, cutting garden, butterfly, hummingbird, etc.) Full sun, part shade, afternoon shade? Sowing info?

Why did I order that seed? When I ordered that packet of seeds, where did I plan to plant it months from now? What companions did I plan to use? Do I have those companions or seeds for them?

So ... how do you organize info on your seeds? I'd like to implement a system now, before I'm completely overwhelmed!

Background: A few months ago, I visited the Cottage Garden forum and fell in love with Gottagarden's beds. (link below) I wondered how I could create a similar high impact bed. Then I realized how much information about individual plants and how much attention to detail she needed to create her beds.

Many of you have done this for years. You must have a system so you know what you have and why, so you don't get completely overwhelmed and/or forget what you ordered and why.

Please share your strategies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Gottagarden's Red Bed (2nd Yr)

Comments (34)

• shinyalloy_5
    14 years ago

Pam, love that red bed.

I sort my seeds in a shoe box by flower/veggie/herb then alphabetically. Unfortunately, some of the smaller homemade seed packs slide around causing them to be a bit out of order. I'm thinking about getting one of those books like my nephew used to keep Pokemon cards in. For further division I use a database with all manner of categories; planting date, soil & light requirements, description, color, spacing, height, seed source, sowing method annual/perennial. When I plant out I just sort by light requirements then height then name also printing out spacing and soil requirements.

• token28001
    14 years ago

Until I start sowing, my seeds are in one of those filing boxes. I have 13 folders inside with A-B, C-D, E-F and so on. I organize either by common name or Latin name, whichever I know the plant by. So when I'm making trades or thinking of ordering something, I can always find out right away if I have those seeds or if I'd like another color, variety, whatever.

To prepare for sowing prior to last frost, I'll sort through each folder and pull out the good candidates for wintersowing. I'll do this over several nights to make sure I have time to google what I need to look up. Those go in a single pile. I'll pull out the ones that need lots of cold first. Anything that starts with Siberian or Icelandic is a good choice.

The seeds that will be sown near the last frost get sorted into another bubble envelope. The seeds that get direct sown go into another. I try to refrain from trading during the winter months. I usually realize about last night that I have way too many seeds, too many varieties, and will likely direct sow using cloches rather than wintersow the ones I have huge amounts of seeds.

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

Each year I have expanded my seed filing system. Probably because I have way too many seeds.

For seeds that I receive in trades/swaps I keep seperate from those that I or my sister collect.

For Veggies collected - Tomatoes have their own file box and are alphabetized with 13 folders inside with A-B, C-D, E-F and so on (same as Token); Peppers also have their very own file box and sorted the same. All other veggis in a third file box and sorted the same.

For Veggies received in trade/swap - Treated the same as veggies collected.

Veggies - 6 plastic file boxes; each approx 6W X 11L X 4D

Flower seeds have graduated to a 5 drawer white plastic roll around cart.....plus other containers. In the cart four of the drawers have alphabetizer dividers for each alpha (a, b, c, d). One of the drawers is my collected annual seeds, one drawer is for my collected perennial seeds, one drawer is for traded perennials and one drawer is for traded annuals. The bottom drawer (twice the size of other drawers) is where I put the large bulk seed baggies of collected seeds.

Then there are the famous shoe boxes, large X-mas tins that have collected seed that still need to be put into the filing system when I have time.

It doesn't always stay as organized as it may sound but it gets better each year.

I too when it comes to getting ready to winter sow, I go through all the files and take out the ones I want to sow. Then if need be, I'll research those I don't know much about and then sort by who gets sown first, etc. Of course I'm forever sifting through my stash and adding to the to sow box. I also do the same with my seeds for those I indoor sow - pull and make a list of what gets sown when, etc.

It will always be a never ending, evolving process.

Sandy

Sandy

• token28001
    14 years ago

I should also say, my goal every year is to have no seeds left by May 1. I managed that last year by making a huge pile of seeds and just tossing them around the flower beds. A few rudbeckia sprouted and some other things I haven't identified yet. I start collecting new seeds again in the summer starting with the earliest annuals.

• lgslgs
    14 years ago

Most of them I sort them into gallon ziplock bags by sowing time and sowing method.

I've got bags right now for direct sow (garden) winter, direct sow (land) winter, winter sow hardy perennials, winter sow hardy annuals, tender annuals (sow after frost or WS near last frost date).

Hubby does the vegetable and keeps his in boxes that are roughly sorted by sowing time - greens, brassicas etc in one box, tomatoes peppers & eggplants in another, beans squash and melon in the third.

If I'm not sure when to sow it it goes into my "find out when to sow it" bag before getting stored.

I don't sort any of the sowing time bags by color, height or whatever. I can think about that when I plant out my containers after germination. With seeds, all I need to really think about is when I sow them. The bags make sure that I don't end up with things that prefer January sowing sitting around in a seed box and being discovered in May. :)

Lynda

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

There's lots of ways to store your seeds, whatever you do, you'll find that you will be tweaking it until it suits your needs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Storage Gallery

• terrene
    14 years ago

I store all my seeds in one of the produce drawers in the refrigerator, which is completely filled. The seed packets are organized in zipper plastic bags labeled Perennials - Annuals - Vines - Herbs - Veggies - Grasses - Asclepias, etc. They are alphabetized within each baggie by botanical name. The dessicants from vitamins, packaging, etc. are thrown into each bag as well as the drawer. The humidity lever on the drawer is set to "low".

Keeping seeds refrigerated extends their lifespan by as much as 10-fold. I routinely germinate seeds that are 5 or 10 years old, and as much as 18 years old. Bill Cullina writes in his Wildflowers book "Metabolism involves chemical reactions that are greatly slowed as the temperatures are lowered to near freezing, and air-dried seed stored in paper envelopes in the refrigerator will stay viable five to ten times as long as seed kept at room temperature."

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

Last year was my first year saving and swapping. At first, I bought paper envies, however I could not easily count the seeds for proper inventory.

This system has worked well for me:
    For flowers, I bought a box that would fit in the fridge drawer. Then I cut cardboard to fit in the box, rectangular like recipe cards. I taped these with shipping tape, allowing me to remove the seed packet and replace it with the same piece of scotch tape. My seeds are in 2"x3" or 1"x2" ziplock baggies (ebay). I semi-alphabetized and taped baggies to the cardboard "cards". "C" needs it's own card, front and back, but some cards house two letters, one on each side. All of my flower seeds fit well in this set up.

For herbs, tomatoes and peppers, I bought a 3 ring binder and business card holder inserts, maybe 12 business card slots per page. I cut paper to fit the slots and taped them up like the cardboard. For these seeds, I like 1"x1" ziplock baggies (ebay) and again, alphabetized them on the paper "business cards". I can fit 20 baggies on one card. They easily slide in and out of the inserts if the tape is going the same direction.

I toss other seeds, edibles - gourds - pumpkins etc - in a gallon sized ziplock baggie.

As long as I organize seeds as soon as I acquire them, this system has made swapping so much faster and easier for me. My inventory is more up to date as well.

We have two refrigerators, (beer drinkin' DH)so my hogging of two drawers hasn't been a problem.

This year, I am sending extra flower seeds to Trudi, so I should have NO flower seeds by May 1st as well. Token has the BEST ideas!! If the tomato seeds don't fit in a 1"x1" baggie, they'll also go to Trudi. DH will be doing the happy dance.

• glad2garden
    14 years ago

Mine are in little baggies in a plastic box and are divided into 2 sides: vegetables or flowers. That's it.

• Pamchesbay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These ideas are very helpful. I've been putting categories of seed in ziplocs, but the categories are morphing into subcategories so fast. I was putting the ziplocs in wide clear plastic containers that held nuts from Costco. Thanks, terrene - I didn't think about using dessicants. Now I can use those wide plastic containers for WS!

My dilemma deepened after a large order came in from valueseeds. All seeds were packed in identical silver packets with no picture or cultural info to remind me why I ordered, or what I intended to do with them.

Last night, I made a table in Word, went to the valueseeds site, and copied and pasted the info and image of each variety into the document. I'm debating about whether to do this with the other seeds - they are multiplying at an astounding rate and I doubt this will stop soon. Logging in that data is tedious and time-consuming. But I think having a master list of all seeds (at least most) will help when planning new beds, or deciding what to plant where, what companions to use, etc.

shinyalloy, is collecting information similar to what you do? I have a Mac and MS Office for Mac but it does not include Access or another database program. I haven't looked into a database program for the Mac but having one would probably save time in the end.

Trudy, you are amazing. I looked at all the photos of seed storage methods on the WinterSown site. I have strengths, but am organizationally challenged. I am in awe of what you accomplish.

• token28001
    14 years ago

Pam, your comment about shiny packs with no pictures is why I use clear ziplock bags. They're sold in the bead section at Wal-Mart. They cost about $1 for 100. I like them because I can see the seed. Knowing what the seed looks like all winter helps me a lot the next summer when I'm collecting. I know if it's ripe by remember what it looked like when I planted it. I can't remember seeds just from looking at a paper envelope.

ps...it helps a lot when sorting seeds for a swap too. But I understand why some use paper coin envelopes or homemade paper packs.

• dorisl
    14 years ago

organize?

huh?

seeds?

what is this word "organize" that you use? I gotta go to wikipedia for that one.

• shinyalloy_5
    14 years ago

Pam,
    I can never have to much data. Although, I do a lot of cut and pasting, a word document would not be flexible enough for my needs. I like that a can generate a report about which seeds I have left to trade or what can I wintersow that can be planted in the shade, or which plants are over 2ft tall and attract birds butterflies and bees. I wish I had access on my laptop, I just use the humble MSWorks database that came with my computer, although the idea of including pictures and live links to relevant websites is not lost on me, I'm not willing to use my husbands desktop that has access because I like to take my computer outside. (you should see the looks of horror I get when I take the computer out gardening. I wanted something portable for a reason.) for now I keep a separate file with pictures, one file is nothing but pictures of seedlings I like to run this as my screen saver so I can identify my babies in the garden or in their poorly labeled jugs. I cannot bring myself to buy a better database, if I had money to spend it would go towards more seeds.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Wow, everyone here is so organized! And I was so proud of myself for getting my seeds alphabetized!

I use a clear box, about shoe-box size. I have two home-made cardboard dividers, so there are three sections. I cram those seed packets in there in alphabetical order. These are just flower seeds.

My vegetable seeds are stuffed into a big manilla envelope or whatever is handy.

I did start an Excel database last year, where I listed the seed name, how many of that seed I had, the source/vendor, and the date purchased/received. As I WSed last year, I would go straight into the database and update the number of seeds left, and I added a column that just said "updated".

Now I can take a quick look and see what seeds I definitely need to order for this year, and what I have enough of, etc.

I don't bother with any height, bloom time, etc. That's stuff I check on later, when I'm transplanting.

:)
    Dee

• aka_strawberrygoat
    14 years ago

saved seeds from my own grown things are put into the little orange medicine containers, with a slip of paper to identify them.
    I keep them separate from envelopes of seeds from any place else, cuz I know the date and what it was, cuz I grew it.
    others are kept in those shoe holders that hang on the back of a door...
    but for right now, all seed packages are in any extra back packs that I get from the grandkids...
    they love to lay them all out on the floor and sort through them.
    talk about cheap entertainment...
    they sit there forever, just sorting, stacking and enjoying the pictures on the packages.
    it gets me all wired up, with anticipation for spring...

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

I only started harvesting seeds from my own perennials this year but knew going in I needed to be able to identify them down the road so I started collecting those little plastic cups from the cafeteria at work. They're the ones you get "dressing on the side" in when you order a salad at a restaurant. I asked the nice cafeteria manager if I could buy two dozen of them plus lids. She refused to sell them and gave them to me instead when I told her they were for seeds. Enablers are everywhere.
    I put seeds in them, snap on the cap and label with a Sharpie. Most of them fit inside a plastic case I keep inside the garage. The ones that don't fit in the case are stacked four-high on the kitchen counter until I WS them. I created a Word document listing them alphabetically by botanical name, common name & date harvested. I added seeds traded, with whom, and date as well.
    Thanks for sharing how you all keep things organized--I picked up some great ideas from this thread. Looks like the smartest thing I've done so far is buy those little ziploc bags and some bubble envelopes at Wal-Mart.

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Presently, they are UNorganized.
    When I have everything in order, I have them either in zippy bags by alphabet inside a large boot box, or in a handy-dandy tray that DH built me. It's a simple wooden box with 3 rows separated by a piece of loo-on (have NO clue how to spell that). Then he made me little 4x2 wooden alphabet separators so I could put each packet where it belonged, as well as a wooden separator for "trades." I need to get back to organizing.

At the same time, I might have a spreadsheet to accompany the whole thing so that I know what's what, and what I have available. I think I'll do that now since I have nothing to do. Thanks for the shove!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    14 years ago

2 bags: Bag #1: Seeds to sow. Bag #2: Seeds to trade.

Seeds not sown by April go to Trudi.

Each year, I make up a table that lists each type of seed, its planting requirements (does it need a cold period, does it need light or darkness to germinate), date when I sowed it, and date when I see sprouts in spring. (I haven't been doing this long enough to not panic when the green wave hits someone else in my zone and hasn't hit me yet in spring.)

It's neat to read about how organized everyone else is with their seeds!

Lois in PA

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I put all my seeds in paper coin envelopes or small baggies or other self made envelopes about the same size and file them alphabetically in cardboard boxes that are then placed in larger clear plastic boxes. One for perennials, one for annuals and a third for vegetables/grasses/shrubs/trees. And one for trading.

I also keep an inventory on my computer listing all seeds so I can check without going through each of the boxes.

When I am ready to ws I pull the seeds I want and put them in a smaller box alphabetically then sow away.

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Regarding planting/growing information: I used to write the info on the packages but soon realized the only time I see the package was when I was sowing so that didn't help much.

I made columns (on paper or on computer), red, yellow, white, etc then listed any seeds I have under those colors. Also did the same regarding sun requirements and heights. Over the years I refer to those information sheets as needed. After awhile I have gotten familiar with many of the seeds and their requirements so don't need to use the sheets as much.

At planting out time if I have many containers to do at one time I will sort them according to height or light requirements.

I am a planner so my beds are graphed and organized before the seeds are sown. I also make drawings of each bed in the fall and again the next spring as changes are made.

This fall I made a new bed along my long driveway in which I am going to plant hibiscus shrubs that have been in a holding bed. It is against my nature, but I am leaving the rest of the bed unplanned as an experiment in free form wintersowing/planting.

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

Woohoo, mnwsgal!!! It's good to read that someone else plots out beds in graph form so as to jot down each potential plant to use. I use Word tables and that way I can include height/color/bloom time. I designed a butterfly/hummingbird bed a few years ago without ever stepping outside the door--just envisioned it all on the computer. Since Mother Nature has a sense of humor, it was no surprise when everything at the west end of the bed burst forth and bloomed the first year while everything at the east end barely survived. Lesson learned? Have a sense of humor too!

• wendy2shoes
    14 years ago

Umm..all my seeds are still half in their pods in paper lunch bags hanging on a clothesline in the basement. I'll pull down a bag and clean some up and put in a baggie for a trade, but since most of them will be wintersown, I forego all the work of cleaning, winnowing, and storing in little labeled baggies.
    I just shake them, pour them out over a strainer on a paper plate, then sow 'em.

Lazy Wendy you better get up, you better get up if you're able....
    Lazy Wendy you better get up..we need the sheets for the table!

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

Bobby (mnwsgal) - I have always tracked my seed inventory on a spreadsheet but this fall I began a spreadsheet pretty similar to yours regarding color, height, etc. However, my gardens are not planned out as yours are (I have tried, but it doesn't happen). I am glad to see you're going to be wild and do a free form for part of it.

Sandy

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Thank you Lois.

• PVick
    14 years ago

Oh yes, organization. Yup.

{{gwi:346937}}

PV

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

PV, I don't know whether to be more impressed with your organization, or with the size of those ice cream tubs. Where do you find ice cream in those sizes?! Well, wait, maybe I shouldn't find out...

Dee

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

Ice cream pails are the best way to get ice cream!! In MN we can get ice cream in 4, 5 or 6 quart buckets. I remember when my sister moved to Kansas, back in 1978, and she couldn't find ice cream buckets/pails in the grocery store. She liked to store things in them so all of us in MN saved them for her. When she hauled out one in front of a neighbor and/or co-worker they stood there and stared. They were in awe, so then the collecting started for a lot of folks. They finally have buckets there.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

See, my problem is, I don't want the buckets - I want the ice cream, lol!

Dee

• PVick
    14 years ago

Yeah, that's my problem too, Dee! A couple of summers ago, my neighborhood supermarket carried these for a little while. Had never seen them before, and haven't seen them since.

I ate a LOT of ice cream that year.

PV

• luckynes13
    14 years ago

This is my first post here, But I have been gardening for over 30 yrs. I store my seeds in a portable file folder. All seeds store alphabetically, with the aid of zip lock bags. May be getting a second file holder.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Ah, PV, sounds like a wonderful summer, lol! Who needs a vacation when you can get buckets of ice cream and sit on your balcony surrounded by that wonderful garden of yours? Sounds like paradise!

Dee

• ruths_footsteps
    13 years ago

I've just organized my seeds using a soft sided zippered CD case. I love it. I can sit down with a catalog and my binder at the table with a cuppa and shop!

I also downloaded packets to print so that I could save my seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Binder: Garden Organization Project

• paulan70
    13 years ago

For right now I have seeds mainly in my dining room drying. But then they will be put into envelopes for at least a few days and then into a more permenat plastic baggie. But once I am done collecting and trading seeds I will then sort my seeds out by what month they will be wintersown in. And for now all of my seeds fit into a photo storage box. I use the seperators that came with the box to label the months. Works well for me.

Paula

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

There is a thread on GW's Seed Saving forum; Organizing seed packets

Since I don't store quantities that require jars, I think I may toy with ZipLocks in alphabetized hanging folders in an unused file cabinet in the garage.

An aside perhaps, somewhere I came across a foreign technical article where seed were stored in "paper cans". As best I can figure out they are what we in the US call ice cream containers.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz