Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds

Posted by moonphase z7 Ga (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 23:48

I'm wintersowing again after a couple yrs of time out.I have a lot of red jap. maple seeds to trade.Interested in Lavender,Red monarda.Coreopsis.scabiosa.Ruds,coneflowers,and salvias.I am wsing this week end and will list the other seeds I have to trade.Question,Does walkers low cat nip or is it cat mint,have seeds?I've wanted this for yrs.Also the lavender.I have never been able to grow Lavender in all my garden life.I think if I ws all the different kinds,well maybe.Any tips on lavender>
moonphase

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds

Lavender is not a good plant for humid conditions like you might have in Georgia. The best way to have success is to plant in a very fast draining area in full sun, you might want to add sand and gravel to your planting hole to improve drainage. Some large rocks might help or planting close to a sidewalk or foundation with a southern exposure, but mainly keep the plants in a very open area to help with air circulation with no other crowding plants. People in humid conditions are advised to try out different spots until hopefully they find a place with conditions that work. As far as successfully growing several types or many plants, you might have to forget that idea. Don't ever water the crown, you will rot out the plant.

They do germinate easily from seed. I don't have too much luck here with lavender. I can usually only get a couple seasons or so from a plant.

o
RE: Seeds

Walker's low self sows all over the place, but they are easily removed. I sheared it back after blooming to keep it tidy and so it would re-bloom. Shear back in fall to prevent over seeding. I would love to give you seeds, but unfortunately, those plants were in my last home's garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here