Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittyl_gw

Pictures of building my 10 x 12 custom greenhouse

kittyl
17 years ago

I thought Id share some photos of start to near finish. My concept of my dream greenhouse came from the book "Classic Garden Structures by Jan & Michael Gertley". It was a glass greenhouseÂ

{{gwi:310000}}
My dream started 3 years ago. My two teenage kids did the digging for the wall foundation, rebar and concrete base, we contracted with a brick layer to have the brick walls done, hubby and I did the patio bricks, cut to fit the rounded wall.

{{gwi:310002}}
Two years later the greenhouse was still on hold, but the irises and sweet alyssum were blooming!

{{gwi:310003}}
This year we were ready to start the greenhouse:

{{gwi:310006}}
Air power nail gun is one of my husbandÂs favorite tools. One decision I had to make, was how tall to make this greenhouse. We debated changing the arch. I was leaning towards a shorter greenhouse for ease of construction and then I realized I plan to grow one or two dwarf trees, a citrus and maybe an avocado, and then decided all the height I could get would be good for the trees, so tall was it! Frame is 2x4 fir, about a third the cost of redwood. Cost of lumber and stain $210.

{{gwi:310008}}
The trick of holding all those beams up, is bracing. DoesnÂt seem very solid yet.

{{gwi:310010}}
Bracing in ceiling has been added and itÂs ready for staining. ThatÂs tomorrowÂs job.

{{gwi:310012}}
I stained it with a Âheartwood redwood sealant and stain. I spent a lot of time on the top steps of the 12 foot ladder and all sorts of crazy positions to get it painted.

{{gwi:310014}}
I thought it was so pretty at this point I thought I was through. Hubby said I couldnÂt sit in it on a rainy day and drink tea and perhaps I should start searching for poly carbonate or heÂd find something else to do!

{{gwi:310016}}
IÂm so excited, roof and sides are up. We used clear corrugated polycarbonate. Price of corrugated was about half that of twin wall, and it was available at my local hardware store. I really like it. It took a while to get used to it because it is so clear, unlike the old days of fiberglass. We just cut it with a scissors. Cost of poly, $534.

{{gwi:310017}}
When it came to the door, I thought my husband might consider making a door frame and use corrugated poly to match, but we went to the hardware store, and he convinced me to look at storm doors. We found a door for $130, choose a dark brown instead of white, and I really like it too, now that itÂs up. Much easier to install, then trying to build a door with bracing and interior door framing. It has two glass panels in the door, and one which slides with a screen, I imaging IÂll just open it on many days when itÂs not extremely hot or cold. I may also just open the door and leave it propped open at times. Now we have to plan benches.

{{gwi:310018}}
The area to the left of the greenhouse will be a koi pond one day.

{{gwi:310019}}
All ready for some plants. I hung one of my geraniums.

{{gwi:310021}}
Next to install is the exhaust fan, and next spring, an evaporator cooler.

{{gwi:310023}}
ItÂs hard to believe, when I go out the back door now there really is a greenhouse there! A million thanks to my husband and kids who helped!

Comments (9)

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great!!!

All I can add is for anyone else who builds a wood framed greenhouse is put a couple of coats of whatever you use on the wood BEFORE you build it.

Painting a wood framed greenhouse when it is up is really hard work.

• stressbaby
    17 years ago

Kitty, you've done a great job. I particularly like the way you've planned and integrated the GH into your landscape. I feel that this part of the project is too often ingored. Very nice, Very nice!

• numbersix
    17 years ago

Nice, the stain looks just like redwood.

• kittyl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Staining the wood before it goes up is a good option (I had seriously considered it), however, it would have delayed my husband a day or weekend (a no no), and I would have had no where to lean/place the painted 2 x 4s for drying. Thats a lot of wood to prop and space somewhere, and then you have to turn it over when one side is dry and paint the other side. I didnt want any stain dripping on my patio bricks from my sloppy brush. I had a lot of leftover 2 x 4 ends, which we burned in our wood stove, and I wouldnt have wanted that stain burning inside my house. If I had to do it all over again, I still would have painted after the frame was up.

I did paint the waffleboard which supports the poly, before they were installed. I wanted to have the matching stain color, but I painted them white, as the instructions say if the temperatures are going to get above 125 to paint the stud surfaces white, as the heat could damage poly. So I used white to deflect our summertime heat which often gets above 110.

My husband did have me put marine Spar varnish on the very top outside roof cap, which will be subjected to rain. That piece I did paint first. My husband hates the paint brush. So he builds, I paint.

I forgot to mention some of the trial and error parts of the construction. After we put on one half of the corrugated roof and one side, we then stuck a piece on the front of the GH. It was then we discovered we didnt have enough overlap on the roof to cover the upright front panel. So we ended up taking down the entire one half, roof and side, and moved all the corrugated panels one inch towards the front. Although the panels are light in weight, easy to drill and fasten with screws, the alignment with the studs, cutting with a scissors, aligning the waffleboard, and getting the top edge of the sides to fit snugly under the roof, is all very time consuming. We used self piercing sheeting screws, with a rubber washer. It took us three full days to just put up the poly.

It's raining steady today. I'm enjoying the view out my back window! I also want to thank everyone on this forum! It's great to get ideas and feedback at different stages of the greenhouse!

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

Very classy and classic. It also looks like it has a lot of quality in the finishing details. Maybe you should go into the greenhouse construction business...that looks better than a lot of the greenhouses I've seen for sale online that cost thousands of dollars.

• Cocobid
    17 years ago

Kitty absolutely beautiful GH ...You did a great job.
    We are currently building a small one using the corrugated polycarb. Ours is a lean to at the rear of the property attached to our garage 20X6X10. In our climate it will just be used in the winter for storing Plumerias. Is it possible to add a close up of how you connected the material. It looks like you just used the white foam not the rigid corrugated inserts? I have bought just tons of things and it looks like the foam might be in reality the best of the "bridging" material for our climate. Any tips or suggestions? Did your apply silicone calk to the seal while building? Our is a wood frame prepainted a light cream to match the garage. We added an anti-mold agent to both garage and paint for GH. Oh for what it is worth at age 15 when I~~~~Dad and I built my first one HE let me paint it after it was built. I feel he is looking down and laughing about that one LOL Ohhh a sweet tear. It is still standing some 35 years later.
    Some lessons in life are remembered forever.
    Your surroundings and location are just great. Enjoy
    Thank You,
    Karen/Cocobid

• orchiddude
    17 years ago

I only see one problem, you didnt make it big enough, but what you did do, YOU DID A GREAT JOB!

• kittyl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"It looks like you just used the white foam not the rigid corrugated inserts? I have bought just tons of things and it looks like the foam might be in reality the best of the 'bridging' material for our climate. Any tips or suggestions?"

I used both. For the roof, on the 2 foot center spans, there are two wood/rigid corrugated cross supports. My roof length was 7 feet, so theyre about 28 inches apart, I painted white for heat avoidance. They really help support the polycarbonate, otherwise it might tend to sag.
    At the top ridge and at the bottom of the roof panels, is the foam inserts. We used a staple gun to tack them in place. Each of the side panels also has foam inserts at top and bottom.

Once the corrugated panels are up, they do provide shear strength to the entire greenhouse. When we had the frame up, I could still shake and wobble the greenhouse, I was concerned it didnt have enough bracing. My engineering daughter gave me a lecture about the need for shear strength to handle strong winds, etc. Turns out, after you get all the corrugated panels up with all the screws, they do give shear strength to the whole Greenhouse. Ive tried to shake it, and you cant.

We used self piercing sheeting screws, in two lengths, to attach the panels (screws come with a rubber sealing washer). Per the instructions, we drilled holes in the poly, the hole is larger than the screw, to allow for heat/cold expansion of the panel. We didnt drill the wood, as the screw goes right on in. We drilled as we went along, then put in the screw, so that the hole would line up with the corrugated support or the foam insert. Ill try to get a photo in the daylight tomorrow and change one of the photos Ive posted.

"Did your apply silicone calk to the seal while building?"

No, and I dont have plans to do so. I had asked questions about calking as it seems like everyone is sealing their greenhouse, but I think the foam is all that is needed and will do for me for now. Im not in cold northern climates where heating is a big issue, so I guess caulking is to prevent heat loss. The purpose of my greenhouse is to prevent freezing to some tender plants. Just today, I dug, cut and potted some 200 cuttings of geraniums, as we have had frosts. Geraniums will die when we have frosts down to 26/28, and Ive kept them alive next to my house foundation. Now I have 50 pots, 4 cuttings per pot, in my greenhouse tonight. I dont have it wired for electricity yet, so I strung out an extension cord, and I have a simple small electric heater, on the very lowest setting, and it only goes on occasionally. When Ive checked, its kept the temperatures inside to 34-38, and that will keep plants from dying.

Yeah, my husband has already heard me talk about a bigger GH . Just talk.

• jannewton2_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

i am unable to retrieve the pictures, i sure would enjoy them if you could send them to me, i am building the same greenhouse