Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawkiefriend

Build a Skippy or buy a Savio pre-made biofilter?

14 years ago

OK, I talked to the people at Skippy about what I actually need as far as biofilters and pumps. I need 2 150 gal skippies, each with their own Hy-drive 4800 gph pump. (Oh my gosh, I am sounding more knowledgable...)

This is for my 9000 gallon pool to pond.

It sounded great and I was pricing the pumps online (and dang if there are not HUGE price differences out there!), when I came across the Savio Livingponds Bio-Filter. It was tempting me, but is it really as good as or better than a skippy? It costs more, but would it be just as good? Maybe less work to make?

What do you experts think?

Comments (8)

• 14 years ago

I've never seen a pool made over into a pond, but I've heard of it being done before. I'm curious about the pool's bottom drain. Are you planning to remove it?

The reason I ask, rather than spend money for two very expensive pumps plus the skippy equipment or the expensive Savio setup, you might consider running a bottom drain to a settling chamber and then to the mechanical filter and then to a bio filter and finally back to the pond. It sounds complicated, but it isn't. Cliff and Joann put together a homemade filtration system using a bottom drain which leads to Rubbermaid tubs that are linked together. They have a large fish load, and the system works beautifully.

I'm including a link to their website, which includes a diagram of their set-up. It may not be what you're looking to do, but it may give you another option to think about that will probably cost less.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cliff and Joann's website

• 14 years ago

My Savio Livingponds Bio-Filter has run perfectly for over a decade. I've replaced the top filter, but the tank is in excellent shape. My pond is 1,000 gallons, so its a little overkill. I do have two turtles that increase the need for the beneficial bacteria that colonizes the 30 gallon tank.

I didn't know anything about skippy equipment when I purchased my Savio, but I can't say I had any disappointments with the Livingponds Bio-Filter. The maintenance is very easy and the setup took minutes to install. I've changed my waterfall many times over the years and the Savio design has made the jobs relatively easy. I do empty the tank in the fall and refill it in the spring. I expect a lot more years of service from my Savio. I definitely got what I paid for.

• 14 years ago

Nancy, that is awesome but looks very hard for me to understand. Yikes! And I don't have much time to learn things before the weather gets hot... :) But thanks. I wanted to use the jacuzzi as the filter but I cannot figure out how and no one has come to my aid as yet.

And John, thanks for the review of your Savio. 10 years, wow. I may just go with it. The cost offsets the GREAT chance that I will mess something up with making the skippies. I might just hook up only ONE filter and pump and then get started on another for the other side of the pond.

• 14 years ago

Everything I have done with Savio has been worth the money. Their skimmers are more expensive, but the bells and whistles make them a better buy, specifically if you want a UV they are cheaper than a inexpensive skimmer with separate UV. But that isn't the question is it.
    I've heard of a few people changing pools to ponds, not many successful ones, but some none the less. Hooking into an existing bottom drain would always be ideal, especially if you are going to have large koi. I wouldn't want to try it myself, but it would be the best way if it could be done.
    I've had a lot of customers have bad experiences with the online sales, but there are some good deals, but there is risk. The Danner 4800s are very reliable and efficient pumps, and there will be some price differences with those. If you see any Savio price differences I would advise against that site or store. Savio has an extremely strong rule of one retail price and they punish those that change them. If they are selling cheap online, chances are they aren't on the up and up.

• 14 years ago

Whoops, Watershaper, I DID buy it! I was so nervous to make the Skippy that I just decided to buy a pre-made filter. The great price was at www.petstore.com - I do hope I will get what I wanted. I am nervous now.

I do hope our pool-to-pond will eventually be a healthy happy body of living water, if not beautiful like a pond that was meant to be a pond. It is already fun to see what the little creatures are doing there each day.

I got the pump on Ebay of all places, but it beat the prices everywhere else, so why not?

I probably need some kind of hose to connect the two, don't I?

• 14 years ago

If the pump is in the 4000 gph range, you need at least a 2 inch diameter hose. Three would be even better but a 3 inch is much more expensive.
    Is the pump external or submersible?

• 14 years ago

I notice the Savio has an inlet size of 1.5 inches.
    If I were you ,I would still use a 2 inch pvc pipe and add adapters to the pump and filter so it will fit the larger hose.
    You will lose less gph from friction.

• 14 years ago

This is what it says: 'The Versatile filter features a 2' outlet that can be connected to a standard MIPT PVC adapter.' So what exactly should I buy to get ready for my new pump and filter?? Yes, the pump can be submerged. Here is the link to the pump I got. I wonder how deep I should submerge it. The deep end of the pond (ex-pool) is 7'.

I am so grateful for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon selling the Danner 4800 HyDrive pump