Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

can poppy be used as a cut flower???

in all my years.. i dont recall ever using such in this manner ...

i am wonder if i tried long ago.. and gave up .. perhaps they fall apart too fast????

ken

Comments (15)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Sure, if you want cut flowers for hours.

Actually Ken, I read once about picking them the day before they open and then sealing stems with a pocket lighter, and allowing to open (if I recall correctly, in the fridge)...let me see if I can find.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

Yes they do, fall apart. Al

• party_music50
    9 years ago

I have always read that you must burn the cut end with a match to seal it immediately after cutting, but I've never tried it.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yes, the recommendation is to pick the day before, seal them with a lighter, and allow to open (and enjoy for a few hours).

Forget the part about the fridge...maybe I made that up.

Edit: Nope nope...other places say to prevent wilting put in a cooler overnight (that's where I got fridge from)

This post was edited by dbarron on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 9:57

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Well, Ken, it really depends on the cultivar. Some you take the vase with you cut, admire and clean up the petals. Others you can actually make it in the house. Dbarron has it right about picking the day before but you better hang around for the coup de gras. One cultivar, I believe but don't hold me to it, was an Icelandic actually lasted the day. Last thing of note is that the earlier they are cut the longer they seem to last. Thus making them perfect for that early morning breakfast party.

I love the darn things but quit putting them in my beds unless I treat them like Hostas, which I know you can relate to, and grow them for foliage.

I do have them around the property where they can add some color.

SCG

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this issue arose in regard to the post at the link ...

i dont know if i would want to be sealing poppies.. the day before my wedding ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• dbarron
    9 years ago

yeah I know Ken...I read :) I wondered about you wanting to use poppies as cut flowers (lol)

I mean I think they're lovely...but irises would be more practical (though season...hmmm)

• Stephanie_Ann_86
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your advice! I will be looking into hardier flower types :-)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Karin_mt, ROFLMAO! So, like a poppy, also be a few petals short of a flower?

SCG

• User
    9 years ago

In one word ... SILK!

I have taken them to flower shows: You get up early in the morning, cut and seal the stems, PLUNGE them in cold water and boogie to the show.

Poppies were judged first, cause they don't last.

They would never make it through a wedding.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

As a cut flower, poppies are a perfect example of Ken's favorite garden word......ephemeral.

• User
    9 years ago

Surprisingly California poppies will last a few days in a vase if you cut fresh ones. They close up though when it doesn't get enough light. They will open again in the morning.

• northerner_on
    9 years ago

This year I received a gift of poppy seeds. Among them were some 'peony' types - gorgeous colours and lasted for a few days. They would work for the wedding.

• samhain10 - 5a
    9 years ago

Have been monitoring this thread plus the other about the wedding flowers, but not commenting. I didn't want to rain on the woman's parade - or wedding, in this case - but I have to agree with those who said poppies wouldn't be a good choice for decoration because of that "ephemeralness" - good word, and one of the very qualities that make poppies so beautiful, I feel. Plus the time frame she was talking about needing them for was pushing it a bit. Too difficult to be sure you'd have what you needed at the right time.
    However, on the general subject of poppies as cut flowers, I've actually had oriental poppies last for 2-3 days if I plunge them in a water bucket immediately upon picking, and then once I'm in the house, I recut and immediately burn the stem ends over an open flame, and plunge them back into cold water. Have never tried any of the other poppies as cut flowers.