Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_ann_86

Planting poppies in Michigan for late June bloom

Stephanie_Ann_86
9 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm new to this (both the site and gardening!) so any help is greatly appreciated. Here's my long-winded question:
So I live in Michigan (the Grand Rapids area) and am interested in planting poppies (Icelandic/Alpine/the hardier varieties) to use as centerpieces and decoration for my wedding next year on June 27th, 2015 :-) I obviously want as many blooms as I can at the end of June, and am wondering when to plant the seeds outside (fall, spring)? I would rather not start them inside for a few reasons, and I've also read poppies don't transplant the best. I'm just nervous with the extremely long and cold winter we had in Michigan this past year that it could kill the seeds over the winter if I plant them in the fall, or that if I plant them in the spring after the ground has thawed, there may not be enough time for them to bloom by June 27th? I would just really LOVE to use poppies I've grown for my wedding since it would not only be special, but less expensive as well.
Do you have any tips for other types of flowers that beautiful and resilient?
Any input is appreciated!
Thank you!
-Stephanie

Comments (10)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

There are lots of threads of people wanting to grow flowers for weddings. Most people will try and steer you well away from this. Weather and flowers are far too unpredictable to ensure you have blooms, especially that early in the year for zone 5.

If you still want to attempt this sow some seeds now, some a month before last frost and then every two weeks. Plant LOTS over a large area. A cold winter isn't going to kill the seeds.

I think transplanting and repotting (taking out of pot and putting in ground) are two different beasts. I start lots of things, like poppies, indoors that they say don't transplant well and have no problems moving them outside, provided I don't mess with the roots.

Even if started indoors I would hesitate to tell you when as lots is going to be determined by the weather and cultivar.

You are going to have a hard time getting most flowers that are good for cut flowers blooming by the end of june.

Save yourself some stress and buy the flowers and if you have stuff in bloom accent the ones you have purchased.

Good Luck,

SCG

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i did this with roses.. for an october wedding..

but i paid for flowers... and told my florist that i would bring as many T roses as were available .. the day before the wedding ...

as it worked out.. that was 3 to 4 dozen or so ...

somehow they made it thru a horrible winter... late killing freezes .. a hail storm or two .. disease.. bugs.. etc ...

its very romantic what you want to do.. but i would NOT rely on success ... especially .. if you are not a seasoned gardener ...

all that said ... i NEVER.. in my life.. cut a poppy for a vase... i am NOT sure.. they react well.. as a cut flower ... thinking they may simply fall apart in hours ...

can anyone answer that part of the equation ... can poppy be used as cut flowers... has anyone ever seen them at a florist??? ...

i wish you luck with the wedding.. but dont create a nightmare with this part ... there are so many other things to worry about.. other than relying on the vagaries of mother nature... in the hopes of saving a buck or two ...

ken

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken I forgot to mention that about them being short lived cut flowers.

SCG

9 years ago

i cut the loop.... see link ...

i dont think poppy will be a good flower to rely on

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gringo
    9 years ago

In my area, there is a local greenhouse that sells(individual) 'Champagne Bubbles' (F1 Hybrid), in 6" wide, short (half?)pots, while in full bloom. But here in VA. that is during late April, early May & this variety may not be as winter hardy in your zone, as an F2 variety, as explained by Stokes seeds catalog (online) Of course, you'd have to wrap the pots, something like florists do, for use on a table. Cut individually, very low near the base, may last up to three days at most. Never did sear them...
    As for alpine poppies, those may require too deep of a pot, or massive sowing about now, outdoors & may last just a couple days at most, if temperatures are cool. Blooms are quite small & stems very short!
    I have seen a bouquet of Shirley poppies that my uncle bought for my aunt, in Southern California from a roadside stand, that last about 5 days, for her birthday in June. But, those were cut in 'bunches', much lower down the stalk & not an individual flower stem. They were numerous blooms, of various colors, accomplished by cutting each bunch, much lower down the stalk, to make a more lasting bouquet..
    I have no idea with even attempting something anything like this, using the oriental poppy, unless there is a huge patch located at some abandoned house or yard, somewhere up in Michigan.
    I would suggest consulting a florist, about what becomes available at that time of year, or make plans to order in advance. Besides, I have no idea what is in bloom locally that far north, on that given date, Peonies, or Lilacs, or Lily of the Valley. Possibly, you may just end up keeping it as uncomplicated as possible & simply resorting to buying roses, or carnations ?

• gringo
    9 years ago

Stephanie, I have no idea how many tables you are planning to have. One idea that just popped into my mind, is Select Seeds Antique Flowers. I know they offer already potted, young poppy seedlings, but have to be ordered early before selling out. Also, offers others that aren't annuals, such as Primula 'Viennese Waltz' , Parma Violets
    'Duchesse de Parma" , Geranium 'Apple blossom Rosebud', Dianthus varieties, etc & and you can order with a planned delivery date (must be done, well in advance in 2015, before selling out) & you could use those, allowing for time to grow & begin blooming. Prices are usually about $5.99 or 6.99 per pot, plus shipping. They also carry a variety of poppy seeds & you'd have to sow those, about a week to ten days in advance of a full moon, closest to the spring equinox, to have flowers providing enough time, to allow for the flowers by the end of June.
    That's about the best of a solution, as I can suggest.

• gringo
    9 years ago

One final possibility, is if you could locate a source for Iceland poppy 'Champagne Bubbles' or similar, offered in large quantities of 'trays', as seedlings in small 'plugs' & then re-pot them all, into the six inch half pots, for use on tables.. In my area, the end of June, is nearing the very end of their flowering season, but may take a while longer to get to size & therefore last longer (be in full bloom later) up north, being much cooler up there. This would avoid having to cut the stems, but transporting all these to reception without damage might be a bit precarious, as stems can easily be broken & any leaves extending over the edge of the pots can get broken too...
    It wouldn't exactly be an easy accomplishment, is what I'm trying to get at, but is within the realm of being possible...

• gringo
    9 years ago

I found a grower, that has a nice blog - floretflowers.com regarding Iceland poppies. Apparently the 'Chanpagne Bubbles' were used. Although I didn't notice the location of this grower, but took note of the methods for longer flower life, which had to do with harvesting in 'cracked bud stage' & searing the stems. Appears they do supply flowers for weddings too. But have no idea if they are available that late in June. You might do well to inquire & at least, you could always inquire for helpful advice &/or try an early 2015 sowing, but may want to have a plan B, just in case you find out, it is slightly too much work, or a task, just a bit rather too difficult .

• Chantae Golden
    3 years ago

I remember growing up my grandmother always had beautiful poppy flowers growing all around the flower bed she had a long her garage and they were absolutely beautiful. But I'm not sure when she would plant them and or when they would bloom. I would love to find out more about growing them because I would love to plant some this year. I know it's illegal in California to pick poppy flowers. A lot of my family is from there and I remember as a young preteen going to visit and my mother yelling at me because I was picking some poppy flowers and her telling me if I get caught I would go to jail LOL. I wish you the best of luck because they are beautiful. And if anybody could give me some advice on when to start growing them that would be greatly appreciated. You could reply on here or send me an email at chantaeg6969@gmail.com

Thank you in advance

3 years ago

chantae ... it would have been better if you started your own post ... and include your big city location .. and we could help you directly.. rather than glomming on to this years old wedding post

if you did.. you would also get answers delivered to you.. rather than having to post your email address ...

any chance you have a pic from way back then??? ... so you know if they were annuals or perennial poppy??? .. other than you think she had to plant them every year???

ken