Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moulman

New beginner trees

moulman
16 years ago

I have been interested in Bonsai for a long time, and have been reading and studying constantly. I finally feel ready to begin, so I recently began scouring the local nurseries for a victim.... er....starter tree.

I purchased two over the last few weeks. One is a Korean Box in a one gallon pot. It has some interesting visible roots and a natural "loop" of a main root that looks like it could easily be made to straddle a rock. The trunk base is approx. 1" dia, and rises angularly to a spot where three branches spread (almost like an inverted pyramid) evenly. There is no main trunk above this point.

I have pruned it to accomodate the shape of the existing branches - it is overall 14" high, with a 10" spread.

My question - although it has a pleasing shape, is it worthwhile to persue enhancing this form, or would it be best to cut branches and form a higher main trunk (I hope I am explaining myself sufficiently)? - grow a thicker trunk, etc?

The second tree (well, plant) is a Salix Integra - a larger plant than the Box - it is in a 3gal. pot - trunk approx 2 1/2", nice taper - it had some damaged foliage that was dried, which I pruned. It is 20". I have pruned it to three main branches. It had some significant branching very low on the trunk that I have removed. This left some large wounds where they were removed. ( 3/4 - 1" dia).

As these seem so large, will these wounds be very noticable when healed? Some are facing what I have determined would be the best "front" of the plant.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. If I can, I will post some pics.

Matt

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES