Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thinking about planting tulips

Posted by jenndev 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 11:57

Ok so heres the question I have a good sized space in my front garden, where there is currently several tropical hibiscus they will be comming in for the winter mid september and they wont go out again until mid/end of may. I was wondering can I put tulips there that bloom from say april-may then dig them up and store at the end of may? I am kind of under the impression that they will need to stay in the ground until the foliage dies back, is that true or can I cut them back then dig them up?

Thanks
Jenn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thinking about planting tulips

I am sure you can plant tulips there. But I don't dig up my tulips though. Too much work. I leave them in the ground and most come up the following spring anyway.

You can choose early, mid and late blooming tulips to extend the blooming season.

See this thread for sources:
Bulbs sources.

Good luck.

o
RE: thinking about planting tulips

Choose early tulips. They come in early mid and late season.
When they are finished blooming, Dig them up but leave on the foliage. Put some soil in the bottom of a pot and plant them close together. then cover with soil to the level they were growing in the ground.
Set the pot in a sunny spot and water occasionally; not sopping just wet. When the tops turn brown, pull them off and put the pot and all in a dark,dry, cool place. Then in the fall turn out the pot and plant them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here