Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 3

Posted by kilngod Z6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 18:18

Newbies & New Sponsors:

Please read the directions.

(We will not list you if you are missing things.)

Newbies, might you like a little help getting started growing and trading seeds? (Brand new, hoping for more garden variety, needing a boost after a garden or financial loss, or just want a little advice?)

Veterans, do you have extra seed that could help a new gardener-trader get started? (From accidental over-harvesting, buying enough commercial seed for varieties' sake, or because you just want to help others grow?)

Newbies are newbies if they are:
1) truly new to Gardenweb, OR
2) are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR
3) could really use help with seed access for any reason.
Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

Newbie Adoptees:
Pre-adoption procedure
--Your email address must 'show to members' on your member page in order to be put on the list. Make sure your email setting is correct (see link below).
--Make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything that helps someone match to you)
--Include both your zone & state in your member page info (there is a special trick to this - see link/note in next post below).

Costs to the newbie adoptee:
--Pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--'Seeds only' adopts are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie/other protection included by the veteran.
--'Plants too' adopts ideally are Priority Mail and may cost about $5 to $14 depending on size.
--Postage payment options include paypal, stamps, check, money order.

When you are contacted for adoption:
--Check back here to confirm you have been adopted.
--Check the Rate & Review forum regarding the sponsor who contacted you. This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/ Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.
--Arrange postage costs and gift details with your adopter.
--Send postage to your adopter.
--After receiving the seed package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).
--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum

Sponsors who want to adopt:
--Standard amount for an adoption = 10 packs of seeds, more if you would like. Seeds are the focus, though you can contribute plants too if the timing is zone-appropriate.
--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie.
--Then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offer to adopt them.

The host/hostess(es) will (me & other helpful volunteers):
--Will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--Will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.
--To make things print bold, post < b > before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and < / b > after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list. For italics, same system, just use an 'i' instead of the 'b'.

Newbies, there is also a 'Newbie Seed Packs for SASBE' thread run by bakemom on this seed exchange board. She has generously run it for years, with donations sent to her from lots of veteran traders. There is also an 'Adopt-A-Milkweed-Newbie' list run by kchd. Check those out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newbie Member Pages Assistance

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 18:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 3

Technical Help for Newbies

To make your state & zone show next to your screen name:
-Click 'Member Pages' (way down, bottom left of this page),
-Then click 'Edit Your Membership Details',
-Add your state to the 'Garden Zone' box.

In that same place, you can:
-Add a 'blurb' about you, your garden, your overall interests and plant preferences.
-Select option to "Show my email address to: Members".
-Check the box for "Allow others to send you email from your profile page".

To make/edit your wants list:
-Click 'Member Pages' (way down, bottom right of this page),
-Then click 'Edit Your Exchange Lists'.
-Type/paste in your seeds in a vertical list (much easier to read than a horizontal list with commas between).

Here is a link that might be useful: Shortcut to Member Pages

o

Hmmmm...it seems that the site is not transferring the "zone + state in your zone box" to the 'posted by' line right away. It isn't just with Artax97, I'm seeing it now with many of the newbies. Oh gracioius, that is a downer. I'll try to figure out what is up.... Lealam, Mizzteek, Shogie, you are all in this bind. When we get it sorted, I'll add you. (Could you 'redo' putting this info in, just in case it makes some difference. Gracious, how many newbies has this happened to...)

:) xiangirl -- Thank you so much for updating the list!!

Current Newbies to be Adopted:
Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Twotails (5 MA + greenhouse) (rare, exotic, unusuals; poison, smelly, zone-pushing gardens)
Fuzzy57 (5 MO) ( a n y t h i n g, indoor or out )
Bob-MA (5b-6a MA) (veggies, flowers, seed saving, season extending)
Zone 6:
scobbs416 (6 se PA)(heirloom & high-yield veggies, unusual veg/fruit/flower)
Artax97 (6 MO) (heirloom/non-GMO tomato, pepper, hot/super/bell)
Mizzteek (6 MA) (perennials, yard rehab)
Zone 7:
Mrs.Schulte (7 VA Peninsula)(flowers, fruit, veggies; trading process)
sdambr (7 NY)(heirloom veggies, herbs; seed saving, small garden)
reblcntrygrl74 (7 w WA) (heritage seeds, veggies, medicinals,tea/seasoning herbs)
caterpillarinn (7 NC) (butterfly & bee garden, pond, veggies)
bcmolle (7 No VA) (Hot peppers, stuffing peppers, tomatoes)
rbreedi1 (7 TN) (veggies & herbs)
Zone 8:
Errant (8 SoCal Mountains) (perennials, anything that will work, 6K+ ft alt, acidic soil)
Zone 9-10:

Please see the newbie's original post (member page & want lists) for additional details.
Cirrus (5 IN) (tea/medicinal, succulent/cacti, trees; containers) - BunnyNomNom
mpalzewicz (5 KS) (edibles, seed saving, sustainable) - pdsavage
kristina1234 (4 WY) (Veggies, fruit, cottage garden flowers) - canyonwind
makeupartistaz (9 Cave Creek AZ) (new to desert growing, cacti, desert flowers) - canyonwind
Shorty_CA (10b So CA) ( ) - canyonwind
contessalouise (7a MD) (veggies, herbs, lemon tree) - jensyen
tnotter75 (7a TN) (heirloom veggies, hummer&bfly, seed saving) - canyonwind
GoingGreenForEarth (9A So Tx)(indoor & out, nearly anything) - canyonwind
klwallace12 (7b NC) (veggies, flowers) - jensyen
ladyg76 (7a VA) (raised beds, veggies, heirlooms, edible landscape) - jensyen
Karyn963 (9a So CA) (friut, veggies, herbs, FS & PSh - canyonwind
****** 4 6 Adoptions ! ! ******

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 20:39

o

I checked my profile again just in case.

o

Wonderful, Missteek. It is showing now on your post.

I will edit you in to the list above.

-Tina

o

Mizzteek 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 11:48

"Zone 6 newbie here looking to be adopted. I took on the task of rehabbing my parent's front and back yard last year so they will no longer be 'that' house. So far it's been going great and I would welcome any perennial (seed, seedling, whatever). Please adopt me."

(newbie post from the last thread)

o

Twotails 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 23:12

"I Guess im a newbie here, and would love to be adopted. My seed list is semi-extensive but most is still store purchesed seed (some, like the Nicotiana i have thousands, others I have a few seeds left) Im interested in seeds and plants, And have a greenhouse. im in Zone 5, Massachusetts. I enjoy Exotic, Tropical And weird plants. fast growing is also cool :3 Edible fruits/plants are great, but i equaly enjoy having a poison garden.

As far as zone go's I should be able to replicate it in the greenhouse, or some other way to micro-climate it. Horrably funny thing, ive grown tropicals, like my kumquat tree from seed, and people go "O.O you got that to grow in mass? inside, but still O.o" Yet i did manage to kill a spider plant, a few tomato's, and a eggplant. >.> Dont blame me blame the soil xD (It was a soil issue, ive delt with and now no more deaths yay :D)"

o

Mrs.Schulte 7 VA Peninsula (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 12:44

"Hi Everybody!
I am a newbie to GardenWeb but I have been gardening for years. I am looking forward to learning from you all and sharing/exchanging. I currently have a bunch of Jalepeno seedlings and Banana Pepper Seedlings starting and healthy on the sun porch. But I will have to learn how to ship/share them. lol I have a large garden and am always looking to try new plants. I have also just recently started flower gardening and am interested in learning about growing fruit trees and bushes. Hopefully someone will adopt me :) Looking forward to working with y'all."

o

Errant 8? (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 18:06

"What a great idea! I would love to participate, as an adoptee, as I have nothing to share just yet.

My zone is a bit tricky. I live in the mountains of Southern Calif, just above 6K ft. Below 10F is not uncommon in the snowy months, and it sometimes gets as high as 85F in late Summer. Our trees are mostly pine, cedar, oak, and spruce, so the soil is quite acidic.

I try to stick to perennials, since we have such a short growing season. So far, I've done well with easy stuff like daffys and tulips. I planted my first hostas last year, but the darn gopher got 6/8 of them. I also have a half dozen fruit trees that we put in about two years ago (but no fruit yet), and a couple of tiny lilacs.

I've attached a picture of my back yard, just after we finished the fence and terracing. My Grandson and doggie were helping :) "

o

sdambr 7 NY (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 22:31

"Hi, I am new to planting from seed and have had an absolute blast this year watching my seedlings grow. I have planted mostly veggies and herbs and can't wait to get them out in the garden. I am interested in heirlooms varieties and herbs as I would love to try collecting seeds and sharing myself. This year I will be sharing many of my plants as the germination rate was much better than I had expected but with few variety and small amount of space. Thank you in advance and for sharing all the useful information I have read on this site."

o

Fuzzy57 5-MO (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 1:48

"i am a newbie here and i want to be adopted interested in anything."

o

Bob-MA 5b-6a MA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 20:17

"I'm a newbie in Middlesex county MA (Zone 5b+6a) looking to be adopted.

I'm retired engineer with small veg & flower gardens. I believe I'm a good student and apprentice. Would like to learn more and build a good base of seeds for me and others. Any help would be appreciated. If your in the area and/or zone that'd be nice but certainly not necc.

Regards,
Bob

PS: Orig posted adoption request in diff section (see optional links below) and was informed that this is where the adoption request should be."

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a link that might be useful: RE: HAVE: Newbie seed project - keep requests coming!

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 21:45

o

scobbs416 6 (se PA) (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:43

"I'll try this again, the right way :-)
I'd like to be considered for adoption as a newbie. Gardening interest are heirloom veggies, large producing plant varieties ( we are feeding a large family that consumes produce like locusts) I would also like to try out some unusual plants (veg/fruit or flower). I have a quantity of seeds from this year left over for trade as well. Thanks! "

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 21:43

o

Artax97 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 22:57

"Can I be part of this, as newbie status? I am most interested in hot and super hot pepper seeds, and any variety of heirloom/non-GMO tomato and pepper seeds.

Thanks!"

o

reblcntrygrl74 7 w WA (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 17:02

"I would love to be adopted. My interests are heritage seeds, starts. But will take any vegetable seed, medicinal,tea and seasoning herbs, thornless raspberry's.
I have currently growing radishes, walla walla onions, sweet peas, and corn.
I have several house plants, pothos, snake plant, small aloe, and a silver philodendron. "

o

caterpillarinn 7 nc (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 18:29

"Retry-hope I get it right this time. :)

I live in central NC. Moved into a barren lot in the middle of pine forest with clay soil. We used to have a lush butterfly garden and are looking to build one at our home. My daughter is a beekeeper and is looking to add pollen, nectar plants to help her bees. We also have a pond that we would like to add some plants to. Starting from scratch. We have a small veggie garden as well. Would be grateful for any help getting started.

Thank you for considering.
Kelly"

o

bcmolle Zone 7, No VA (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 20:27

"I am new to this website and the seed exchange process. My main interest is any type of hot pepper, especially the superhots! Other than hot peppers, my garden contains tomatoes (my second favorite), eggplant, and bell peppers. Thank you for your time, wish me luck. Are there any extra large bell peppers out there that are good for stuffing? I am in Zone 7, Norther Virginia."

o

rbreedi1 Tennessee Zone 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 14:30

"I would love to be adopted if anyone is willing. I am a beginning gardener from Tennessee Zone 7b and started my first small garden in the back yard this spring and I am loving it. I am interested in mainly vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, lettuce or other greens, bush cucumbers, onions, summer squash, zucchini, broccoli, bush beans, carrots, okra ect.) but would also be interested in herbs. Anything I can eat! :)"

o

I have received my seeds package in the mail today and I must say there's such a great variety of seeds. I am very happy, all these seeds should keep me pretty stocked for sometime! I just want to say thank you so much to my adopter Annie! I appreciate all the work she did to get all the seeds together and mail them in such a timely manner.
-Andy

o

Is the GW email code even functioning anymore? I gotta ask, `cause I've posted to various folks from here for a while now and have not received any responses. :(

o

Karyn963...your seeds went out yesterday! Enjoy!

I still have not heard from tnotter75. If you are still interested in being adopted, please email me!

Cryptid, if after posting here/or emailing from GW, I still do not hear from the person, I email from my private email. I find the GW email works only when it wants too...LOL!

And thanks to Tina for hosting "ADOPT A NEWBIE"!!!!

Happy Gardening!

Annie

o

rblcntrygrl74 is now in zone 6

o

Karyn963 emailed me...she received seeds! Enjoy!

Annie

o

• Posted by sdambr 7a Long Island (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 13:40

I am not a veteran and a newbie myself, but I have more than enough seeds to share. I can adopt rbreedi1 as we have similar interests, and are both 1st year gardeners.
You would be able to remove us both from the list then! :o)

o

I want to thank canyonwind for adopting me and being so generous. I look forward to paying it forward some day soon.

o

Hi. We just bought our first home and I am going to try to start an edible garden/flower garden. My toddler loves to play in the mud so I know she will loovvee to help me with this project. I would love any seeds.I'm new to this site though! I would love to be adopted onthis site!

o

Hi everyone. I am pretty new to gardening. I am in zone 6/7 (near Philadelphia). I have some tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers growing in a bed and also in some buckets. This is my second year growing. I am interested in learning more and growing more! I want to try to harvest some seeds this year. I do not have any right now, but eventually I would like to get rid of my newbie status! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

o

This sounds like so much fun! I'm still learning how to navigate the forum but would love to be "adopted" for seeds/plants. I'm in Zone 7 - Long Island, NY and just created 4 planting beds. My Veggie Garden is going although I think I may be a little overcrowded. I have 2 good sized perennial flower gardens I started and a corner bed surrounding a fire pit that I'm still trying to figure out what to do with.

Would love seeds/plantings for perennial flowers - especially anything to plant in Fall for Spring 15 blooms. I picked up a few plants sold at local garden centers that I see everywhere in the neighborhood but would love some not-so-common flowers too! I'm sure I've made some mistakes but have been reading tons so I can have a nice full garden one day.

o

Updating my post, I am wanting to be adopted, I once again have moved am now in Zone 6. My interests are heritage seeds, starts. But will take any vegetable seed, medicinal,tea and seasoning herbs, thornless raspberry's.
I have currently growing radishes, walla walla onions, sweet peas, and corn.
I have currently, many pothos, an aloe vera, various other succulant starts, silver philodendran, a couple angel wing begonia babies, a snake plant, a lipstick, a sweetheart vine, and a couple spider plants.

o

Hi, my name is Jen, a potential newbie, and I lost most of my potted garden to an unexpectedly cold winter this year in Memphis after gardening for en three years. I am new to GW, but have made one trade. I don't have an extensive garden, but I do have a variety of plants. I am a vine addict, but most died, I did bring everything in this year, but our heat didn't work, lol! I am looking for common, but unique plant seeds. I love anything with fringed leaves, soft and fuzzy, red, or heavily scented. My eyesight isn't great, so I cherish plants that appeal to my other senses as well. Thanks!

o

I'd like to find my Planty Warbucks if at all possible c: I've been silently watching the forum for awhile now and was just given permission to start digging up the backyard in my rental - as of right now my garden is very small and mostly in containers.
I'm in Houston,Tx, (zone 8-9a??) and am easy to please, just really happy there are generous gardeners. Edibles & odd plants are a plus - exchange page is filled out. Thanks,y'all!

This post was edited by MissMalarky on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 2:36

o

Hi, everyone I just started my own garden this year. I'm growing peppers,tomatoes, kale, acorn squash, oregano,thyme and basil. I live in zone 4 and any help that you could give me is greatly appreciated. My interests are vegetables, tomatoes especially, herbs and flowers that attract pollinators. Anything that I can grow in a container would be much appreciated. Thank you!

o

I'm so excited I found this site Moved from MI to WV and lost all the plants we transported by moving truck on 11 hour trip to Southern WV. Moving in July heat will do that - I'm so bummed.
Starting from scratch so appreciate any help I can get. I have nearly an acre to work with now so I'm sure it'll be better than it was before.
Thanx a bunches for consideration and help :)

o

• Posted by sdambr 7a Long Island (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 0:45

Rbreedi1 emailed me that he has received his seed packet. :o)

o

klwallace12 adoption is complete. She received my seeds.
ladyg76 & contessalouise adoptions are in limbo since I haven't heard back from them.

o

bella20198, I can help you out!!! I will email you via GW in a few minutes. If you do not receive, email me.

I still have not heard from tnotter75. If you are still interested, email me.

Thanks!

Annie

o

"Planty Warbucks" - you crack me up, MissMalarky!

MissMalarky, yooper_at_heart, bella20128 - adjust your zone box (to contain zone and state). See above directions.

kimpy225, adjust your zone box (to contain zone and state) & email settings (show to members). See above directions.

Veterans/Sponsors ( & :) Criptid & Canyonwind )- please email the newbie directly right away. Do not use the GW emailing system. There can be problems both with the website as well as with the newbie's home email settings -- you'll get sent to spam and they'll never see it (email from a 'web system' is particularly vulnerable to this). This is why we require the newbies to have their email posted for members to see. I will add this explicitly to the directions in the future. (Didn't realize it was not there already. My bad.)

Canyonwind (Annie), thanks dahlin'. It is my pleasure, and I'm so glad some of y'all are sticking with this in the midst of the season. Thanks right back!

Sdambr, you rock, just a dear. Come back and be put on the list again in the fall or winter (Late Dec through early March is the best season to be adopted. Second best is Oct - early Nov.) That is when all the veterans are purging last year's seed that is still good, but do not have enough for their big bed. Or they have just ordered a ton of seed and can spare enough for several newbies because they know where to order for great prices and get big packs. Or they've harvested way too much of their own seed.)

Current Newbies to be Adopted:
Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Twotails (5 MA + greenhouse) (rare, exotic, unusuals; poison, smelly, zone-pushing gardens)
Fuzzy57 (5 MO) ( a n y t h i n g, indoor or out )
Bob-MA (5b-6a MA) (veggies, flowers, seed saving, season extending)
Zone 6:
scobbs416 (6 se PA)(heirloom & high-yield veggies, unusual veg/fruit/flower)
Artax97 (6 MO) (heirloom/non-GMO tomato, pepper, hot/super/bell)
Mizzteek (6 MA) (perennials, yard rehab)
reblcntrygrl74 (6 w WA) (heritage seeds/starts, veggies, medicinals,tea/herbs)
Jane269 (6 / 7 WV) (re-starting from scratch, flexible wants, 1acre)
Zone 7:
Mrs.Schulte (7 VA Peninsula)(flowers, fruit, veggies; trading process)
caterpillarinn (7 NC) (butterfly & bee garden, pond, veggies)
bcmolle (7 No VA) (Hot peppers, stuffing peppers, tomatoes)
silvalion (7 Long Island NY) (seeds/plants, perennial flowers)
Guinnevtra (7 TN) (vines, scented, fringed, fuzzy, red things)
Zone 8:
Errant (8 SoCal Mountains) (perennials, anything that will work, 6K+ ft alt, acidic soil)
Zone 9-10:

Please see the newbie's original post (member page & want lists) for additional details.
Cirrus (5 IN) (tea/medicinal, succulent/cacti, trees; containers) - BunnyNomNom
mpalzewicz (5 KS) (edibles, seed saving, sustainable) - pdsavage
kristina1234 (4 WY) (Veggies, fruit, cottage garden flowers) - canyonwind
makeupartistaz (9 Cave Creek AZ) (new to desert growing, cacti, desert flowers) - canyonwind
Shorty_CA (10b So CA) ( ) - canyonwind
GoingGreenForEarth (9A So Tx)(indoor & out, nearly anything) - canyonwind
klwallace12 (7b NC) (veggies, flowers) - jensye
Karyn963 (9a So CA) (friut, veggies, herbs, FS & PSh - canyonwind
rbreedi1 (7 TN) (veggies & herbs) - Sdambr
****** 4 4 Adoptions ! ! ******

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here