Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kilngod

HAVE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 3

kilngod
9 years ago

Newbies & New Sponsors:

Please read the directions.

(We will not list you if you are missing things.)

Newbies, might you like a little help getting started growing and trading seeds? (Brand new, hoping for more garden variety, needing a boost after a garden or financial loss, or just want a little advice?)

Veterans, do you have extra seed that could help a new gardener-trader get started? (From accidental over-harvesting, buying enough commercial seed for varieties' sake, or because you just want to help others grow?)

Newbies are newbies if they are:
1) truly new to Gardenweb, OR
2) are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR
3) could really use help with seed access for any reason.
Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

Newbie Adoptees:
Pre-adoption procedure
--Your email address must 'show to members' on your member page in order to be put on the list. Make sure your email setting is correct (see link below).
--Make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything that helps someone match to you)
--Include both your zone & state in your member page info (there is a special trick to this - see link/note in next post below).

Costs to the newbie adoptee:
--Pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--'Seeds only' adopts are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie/other protection included by the veteran.
--'Plants too' adopts ideally are Priority Mail and may cost about $5 to $14 depending on size.
--Postage payment options include paypal, stamps, check, money order.

When you are contacted for adoption:
--Check back here to confirm you have been adopted.
--Check the Rate & Review forum regarding the sponsor who contacted you. This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/ Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.
--Arrange postage costs and gift details with your adopter.
--Send postage to your adopter.
--After receiving the seed package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).
--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum

Sponsors who want to adopt:
--Standard amount for an adoption = 10 packs of seeds, more if you would like. Seeds are the focus, though you can contribute plants too if the timing is zone-appropriate.
--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie.
--Then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offer to adopt them.

The host/hostess(es) will (me & other helpful volunteers):
--Will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--Will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.
--To make things print bold, post before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list. For italics, same system, just use an 'i' instead of the 'b'.

Newbies, there is also a 'Newbie Seed Packs for SASBE' thread run by bakemom on this seed exchange board. She has generously run it for years, with donations sent to her from lots of veteran traders. There is also an 'Adopt-A-Milkweed-Newbie' list run by kchd. Check those out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newbie Member Pages Assistance

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 18:26

Comments (150)

• Kim Phelan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi everyone. I am still looking to be adopted too.

Any vegetable seeds or flowering seeds to help with a vegetable garden would be very helpful. I have one garden bed done, 8 buckets, and an in-ground bed in the front yard. I will be working on two more vegetable beds to have ready in the spring. I have grown hot and sweet peppers, tomatoes, snap peas, basil, green beans, and (failed) cucumbers. I would love to try other vegetables and some herbs/flowers in the spring. Eventually I want to try and save my own seeds. Any help would be great! I think I changed all my settings to allow emails to go through. I am Zone 6/southeastern PA.

• Mar_121
    9 years ago

SOS please adopt!!! -- OK, it's not really an emergency :-)

I'm a 20-something individual in Kansas City(zone 6), I rent a room in a house and sadly have no outdoor garden space. BUT I would like to create a vertical garden to bring some nature indoors for the winter. I like anything that will grow inside, but I do have a special fondness for lilies, succulents, and flowers. Herbs too would be appreciated as I love to cook & bake with them. If you are interested in adopting me-thanks for your support!

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

kimpy225,

I will adopt you. I will email you in a bit from my private email!! If for some reason, you do not receive , please email me.

Thanks,

Annie

• Jaime
    9 years ago

I would like to be adopted please. I've just recently moved back onto some property and would love to get some flower, herb and vegetable gardens started this spring. Would love to be adopted. Thank you. Happy holidays. :)

• stardrifting
    9 years ago

I would like to Adopt Kjnorris918! I have seeds available for that zone.

Stacy

This post was edited by stardrifting on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 9:31

• Jaime
    9 years ago

Thank you Stacy!!!! :)

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

kimpy225, your seeds went out yesterday. Post here after you receive. I also responded to your most recent email this morning.

meepitqueenie, I sent your seeds a week ago yesterday. You are pretty close to me and should have received by now. Did you receive??????? I also sent you an email this morning.

Thanks much!

Annie

• stardrifting
    9 years ago

Kjnorris918 your seeds went out today. Please post here when you receive them. I hope you enjoy!

Stacy

• Kim Phelan
    9 years ago

Canyonwind (Annie) adopted me. I just received the generous selection of seeds she sent me! Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your kindness and help!

• Jaime
    9 years ago

Great!! Thank you Stacy. I appreciate it. :)

• PattyOK1982
    9 years ago

I really hope I'm not breaking any of the rules by reposting.

I would like to still be adopted.

Thank you everyone

• Jaime
    9 years ago

Stacy(stardrifting)
    I received your package today. Thank you so much for your generosity. Such a great variety. I really appreciate it.

• jeannie75
    9 years ago

i registered here years ago but was absent due to living, working, raising kids with boyscouts baseball and basketball. now multiple sclerosis has put that to a slowdown and i have time. i got a package of houseplant starts this summer and im tickled altho im looking for some black bat, climbing onion and swiss cheese plants. ive got a guardrail lining my property i would love to cover and surround with flowers and a small garden pond i put in for myself with my ssd backpay i could actually put some stuff into along with around it. id be happy with anything. my 14 yr old stepson is doing hot peppers next spring but he would like some tomatos possibly exspecially tommy toes. if somebody would adopt us itd be awesome. im also looking for snailvine/corkscrew vine and cardinal flower in particular.

• pugetsoundgardener
    9 years ago

I'd love to be adopted. We purchased a 100 year old house this year and have been working on rehabbing the 1/4 acre garden. Zone 8a in Washington on Puget Sound - and I do mean *on* the Sound. If you hike down to the bottom of our garden you're on the beach. We have terraces, steep slopes, a lot of water, and clay soil which I've been working on improving.

I have a steep set of terraces along which I've espaliered fruit trees and planted raspberries - strawberries are coming in the spring - and I've gotten some perennial herbs and roses in along one slope. I'm looking for bee garden plants (I need pollinizers!), plants to attract beneficial insects, perennials to help stabilize my steep hillside (about 45 degree slope), and herbs. The daylilies I inherited are doing a good job stabilizing the soil, but I could sure use a lot more of them!

Thanks so much for this list. We newbies appreciate it!

This post was edited by pugetsoundgardener on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 14:21

• bflystitcher3
    9 years ago

I'm a newbie with a growing family. I'm pregnant with little ones so can't spend a lot of time/money caring for needy plants. However I also have bigger helpers that love watching their garden grow! I need hardy seeds to plant that kids and husband can grow easily. We have plenty of space, sun, shade, and some pesky animals/bugs. We love flowers just as much as veggies/fruit seeds. Any little bit helps.

• kimka
    9 years ago

The package of seeds went off to Grantgarden2 and was received.

• kimka
    9 years ago

I don't think I can swing a full adoption for jeannie75 based on the wants she's listed first. But I can swing a little fostering her way with cardinal flower seeds and maybe a few others that would please her, until someone can help her with some of the rest.

KimKa

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    9 years ago

I got the seeds from Kimka yesterday! I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me!
    Grant garden2

• bflystitcher3
    9 years ago

Thankyou Betty for adopting my bean wants! And thanks for introducing me to round robin swaps! Thanks to Tonya and Gary for letting me join your swaps! I'm super excited!!!

• meepitqueenie
    9 years ago

I want to thank ann (canyonwind) for adopting me and sending me lots of wonderful seeds

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

i would like to adopt pugetsoundgardener. sending them an email now.

btw, i have also not heard back from a few people i adopted much earlier in this thread. mrs. schulte, reblcntrygrl74, or errant, if you read this thread email me if you want me to adopt you. it's been a long time, that i got no response.

• pugetsoundgardener
    9 years ago

Thank you so much leilahamaya! My garden will be a much more beautiful place this spring thanks to you. :)

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

nice, youre welcome =)

ok so adoption in progress with pugetsoundgardener, and i heard back from reblcntrygrl74 after writing again. so thats another adoption in progress =)

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

this thread has gotten long and confusing! almost ready for a new start on a new thread.

although i am not the OP who was posting updates, i just tried to compile the list of newbies still waiting for adoption. if someone else wants to polish it up and add info that would be helpful. just trying to list all the names of those waiting for adoption, look for their posts earlier to see their wants.

heres what i managed to put together. sorry if i forgot anyone, or i missed that one of these people was adopted. this thread is pretty long...

Current Newbies to be Adopted:
    Zone 2-3:

Zone 4:
    Honorsyaya 4-5
    Queen-Gardener 5 OH (flowers, bulbs, daylillies, iris)
    yooper_at_heart 4,Mi (vegetables, tomatoes, herbs, pollinators )

Zone 5:
    Twotails (5 MA + greenhouse) (rare, exotic, unusuals; poison, smelly)
    Bob-MA (5b-6a MA) (veggies, flowers, seed saving, season extending)
    xXMackXx zone 5 makenziejordyn@yahoo.com (public charter school - donations - edibles - soup kitchen)
    filigree zone 5b (edibles, flowers herbs- see want list)

Zone 6:
    scobbs416 (6 se PA)(heirloom & high-yield veggies, unusual veg/fruit/flower)
    Artax97 (6 MO) (heirloom/non-GMO tomato, pepper, hot/super/bell)
    Mizzteek (6 MA) (perennials, yard rehab)
    Jane269 (6 / 7 WV) (re-starting from scratch, flexible wants)
    Mar_121 Kansas City Missouri (lilies, succulents, flowers, herbs, container)
    jeannie75 zone 6 (butterflikis75@yahoo.com)
    PattyOK1982 zone 6 (patty48132@live.com)

Zone 7:

SweetGardener 7b VA
    McRose 7 (heirloom tomatoes and heirloom winter squash)
    ichigogo zone 7a (fruits, berries, nuts & vegetables, edible perennials, edible flowers, edible landscapes)

Zone 8:

Zone 9-10:
    raisedbedgardener Southern California (edibles-veggies, herbs, tropical fruits)
    MissMalarky zone 9, Tx (Edibles & odd plants - containers )
    drewglenn15 zone 11 Fla
    smokey28777 10 (smokey28777@yahoo.com)

This post was edited by leilahamaya on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 23:20

• Jane269
    9 years ago

Still hoping to be adopted - I am interested in herbs, fruits, vegetables, flowers, flowering bushes, flowering trees and fruit trees. Thank You for your consideration :)

• bflystitcher3
    9 years ago

Last week I received a good variety pack of beans from tessie83856 or Betty! She was super nice to adopt me, gave me good advice and tips for growing and harvesting the beans she gave me. I am now joining swaps, and happyly waiting for a few more gift seeds in the mail! This will help me get a good start on next springs garden. Thank you soooo much. This is a wonderful new hobbie!

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Tis the season, and all that good stuff. Also, my one year GW aniversery is just around the corner, so I figured I'd pay back a little of the generosity that was shown me when I first got started. (Thank you kchd for adopting me. I'll forever be your red-headed step-child.)

Leilla -- Thanks for updating the list of who is waiting to be adopted. If it wasn't for your initiative, I don't think I'd have the time to read back through the tread and figure out who still needed adopting.

I'm willing to adopt these three zone 9-10 people:
    raisedbedgardener Southern California (edibles-veggies, herbs, tropical fruits)
    MissMalarky zone 9, Tx (Edibles & odd plants - containers )
    drewglenn15 zone 11 Fla

I emailed all three of you through Yahoo. (GW has notoriously spotty email delivery)

Update: I've already heard back from raisedbedgardener. He is happy to be adopted. Also heard back from MissMalarky. Proceeding with both adoptions.

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 11:54

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

awesome erica!
    yeah thats what i was thinking, hoping we could get some of these people adopted especially before this thread has to end - almost at the maximum amount of posts. well then we can flip over to a new one and at least have an updated list.

anywho, on monday i sent out my bubbly to my newbie =)
    jo, aka pugetsoundgardener, should be getting it any day now.

• falldaisies
    9 years ago

Hi! What a fabulous idea, I would love to join if this is still open? Zone 6 Colorado. I have built some raised beds, filled them with peat moss, vermiculite & compost. I have a garden plan, but not very many seeds. Tried cabbage, corn and broccoli last year and it didn't work out. I would love to be adopted and grow my seed collection to try again, thank you!
    I would love to grow
    French Bush Beans, Black Seed Lettuce, Endive, Chamomile, San Marzano, Sweet Cherry & Roma Tomatoes, Marigolds, Garlic, Potatoes, Acorn Squash, Kohlrabi & Carnival Carrots
    Thanks for having me!

This post was edited by falldaisies on Tue, Jan 6, 15 at 0:05

• pugetsoundgardener
    9 years ago

Wow, I just got the most spectacular pack of seeds from leilahamaya. Thanks so much!

• herbologistt
    9 years ago

Hi everyone! I am just starting off my garden :) I would love to be adopted; I am in Zone 10, SoCal. I am interested in edibles - veggies, fruits, herbs, and also looking to try planting quinoa.

• Jane269
    9 years ago

I posted on here before for this newbie adoption & I just realized I didn't list any interests. I am interested in fruits, herbs, veggies, flowering bushes, fruit trees and flowering trees.

I would be grateful for any help. I'm starting from scratch on almost an acre. I'm so ready for spring only 88 more days to go ... lol

• hopefull742
    9 years ago

Hello! I would love to be adopted. I live in the Kansas City Missouri area (Raytown). I made most of my backyard into a garden this past year. I grew mostly tomatoes and Baby Lima Beans. I would love to have some heirloom tomato seeds. Around my house I have a lot of shade, so I am looking for any shade tolerant plants, both vegetables and flowers. To be honest I am open to just about any kind of vegetable or herb.
    Thank you!

• TJP8
    9 years ago

I'm a newbie and would love to be adopted. Last year I started growing a Ghost pepper mid-summer so unfortunately it didn't produce anything. I am overwintering it though! In November I tried germinating Redwood seeds to create a bonsai but unfortunately I had finals so I was not putting as much effort as they needed in. I really would also enjoy dwarf fruits that you can grow inside too! As you can see I really love interesting plants. I do not care really about the beauty of the flower but that it is productive or that it is unique in some way. I prefer perennials so I don't have to overwinter things, but unfortunately it seems anything I'm after won't survive the zone 5 in the suburbs of Chicago. If anyone would like to help me start my endeavors or have any ideas for things that I would be interested that would be wonderful! Oh and I also have a piranha tank that I'm looking to put live plants in and I have no experience whatsoever with aquatic plants so that would also be a plus.
    Thanks again,
    TJ

This post was edited by TJP8 on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 14:25

• TNKim
    9 years ago

Hi, I really got into gardening this last summer and now would like to venture into heirloom seeds. I'm interested in veggies.

• MarthaP123
    9 years ago

Asking to be adopted is a bit difficult for me. I'm a middle-aged nurse who is much more comfortable giving than receiving any aid but I do love the notion of connecting with a veteran who could help get me started in the right direction. I am Zone 7 in Arkansas and interested in heirloom/open-pollinated veggies, fruits, and herbs. Don't have much time for ornamentals in my life right now but would love to start gardening again now that I'm an empty nester. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• FortunesFool
    9 years ago

Last summer I created flower beds at my home. Also, this spring I will be planting my first vegetable garden. I am looking to try new things for my veggie garden and flower beds. I am in Zone 5, Ohio. I am not picky, I love cottage gardens, purple and blue flowers, and hostas. I would love to be adopted by an experienced garden that can give me ideas!

• MissMalarky
    9 years ago

I got an incredibly awesome adopt package from EricaBraun :) Thanks again! I'd also like thank DomeHomeDee, who sent me a bbeeaauutttiful Christmas seed package. Y'all are gonna keep me busy! I can't wait to return the favor for someone else next season.

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

ok , did the list up again:

Current Newbies to be Adopted:
    Zone 2-3:

Zone 4:

Honorsyaya zone 4-5
    Queen-Gardener 5 OH (flowers, bulbs, daylillies, iris)
    yooper_at_heart 4,Mi (vegetables, tomatoes, herbs, pollinators )

Zone 5:

Twotails (5 MA + greenhouse) (rare, exotic, unusuals; poison, smelly)
    Bob-MA (5b-6a MA) (veggies, flowers, seed saving, season extending)
    xXMackXx zone 5 makenziejordyn@yahoo.com (public charter school - donations - edibles - soup kitchen)
    filigree zone 5b (edibles, flowers herbs- see want list)
    TJP8 z5 (perennials, dwarf fruits indoors, bonsai, aquatic plants, exotics, hot peppers)
    FortunesFool 4-5, OH (veggie garden, flower beds, gardening advice from veteran)

Zone 6:

scobbs416 (6 se PA)(heirloom & high-yield veggies, unusual veg/fruit/flower)
    Artax97 (6 MO) (heirloom/non-GMO tomato, pepper, hot/super/bell)
    Mizzteek(6 MA) (perennials, yard rehab)
    Jane269(6 / 7 WV) (fruits, herbs, veggies, bushes, fruit trees, flowering trees)
    Mar_121 zone 6 Kansas City Missouri (lilies, succulents, flowers, herbs, container)
    jeannie75(butterflikis75@yahoo.com) zone 6
    PattyOK1982zone 6 (patty48132@live.com)
    falldaisies zone 6 (flowering bulbs, artichokes & blueberries dwarf fruit trees indoors/citrus)
    hopefull742 zone 6 MO (heirloom tomato, shade tolerant, vegetables and flowers)
    TNKim 6B (heirloom seeds, veggies)

Zone 7:

SweetGardener 7b VA
    McRose z7 (heirloom tomatoes and heirloom winter squash)
    ichigogo zone 7a (fruits, berries, nuts & vegetables, edible perennials, edible flowers, edible landscapes)

Zone 8:

Zone 9-10:

smokey28777 10 (smokey28777@yahoo.com)

*edited again because i finally figured out how to hotlink here!
    click on each name to go to their page, hope they all work

This post was edited by leilahamaya on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 22:00

• TJP8
    9 years ago

Can you add exotics and hot peppers to mine?!

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

leila, thanks so much for updating the list!!!

I would love to adopt adopt MarthaP123 and Herbologistt. I will email you both in the next day or so.

Happy New Year!!

Annie

• falldaisies
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, I would love to be adopted, would you please add to my list, i just finished my ambitious newbie garden plan and I am looking to try
    French Bush Beans
    Black Seed Lettuce
    San Marzano Tomato
    Marigolds
    Garlic
    Potatoes
    Acorn Squash
    Kohlrabi
    Carnival Carrots

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

hi falldaisies =)
    i am guessing this is directed at me, and you want me to change the blurb beside your name?

its hard to fit too much info in there, if you would summarize some general wants ...or what you want you want the blurb to say- i can edit it. it is best if its short and sweet, just a general idea of what you want.

right now yours says - falldaisies zone 6 (flowering bulbs, artichokes & blueberries dwarf fruit trees indoors/citrus)
    if theres something else you want me to write there, let me know, but lets keep it short.

then have you figured out how to edit your "seeds wanted" list? thats the place for all the specifics. just list everything that you want there, then when someone goes to your page they can read all that. its good to have a nice long want list, so dont be shy about listing everything, often times people will look over it and might even surprise you with extras from your want list.

GW is not very intuitive with its layout, but at the bottom of every page theres a large grey area with many links. click on "member pages" and then edit your exchange list...from that page you can edit all your info and fill out your have and want lists.

• falldaisies
    9 years ago

That helps a ton, thank you!!

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

youre welcome.
    yeah it took me forever to figure out how to put up my want list and have list when i was a newbie...but every page on garden web has that grey area with the links on the very bottom.

you can also " edit your membership details" once you click on the "member pages" link...thats where you can add your growing zone, location and very importantly * click the checkbox where it says "allow other members to contact you via email" or something like that. that is important so that the emails people send will get to you...

• MarthaP123
    9 years ago

Thanks go out to canyonwind for adopting me. Am more than pleased to send postage and mailer or paypal you for your expense. Hopefully I'll find a way to repay your kindness at some point.

• janetg2244_
    9 years ago

Hello everybody, my name is janet. I'm new to garden web, I would really appreciate the help from experienced gardeners. I have a few seedlings from grapefruit, lemon, avocado,mango, and a piñon pine tree. I'm getting a greenhouse built to be able to keep my tropical plants. Just looking for someone to help me out how to take care of my little green babies :)

• janetg2244_
    9 years ago

Hello everybody, my name is janet. I'm new to garden web, I would really appreciate the help from experienced gardeners. I have a few seedlings from grapefruit, lemon, avocado,mango, and a piñon pine tree. I'm getting a greenhouse built to be able to keep my tropical plants. Just looking for someone to help me out how to take care of my little green babies :)

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

MarthaP123 and I have been in contact. I should get seeds out to her next week.

Herbtologistt, I sent you a private email a few days ago. Happy to adopt you as well. Please email me!

Thanks leila for your perfect updates...very much appreciated!

Annie

Annie

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

ok since we have reached the maximum amount of posts on this thread, i have started a new thread with the OP.

i am not trying to take over as host of this thread, maybe you can think of me as a temporary babysitter =) if there is someone who wants to take over, you should! since i am guessing the OP had to take a break after doing this for a long time.

for now i have a lot of free time, but once it warms up i will not be online much. i will check in every now and again and try to post the updated list every so often.

anywho to keep following this thread click on this link:
    Adopt a newbie ongoing list 4

Here is a link that might be useful: Adopt a Newbie ongoing list 4

Sponsored
Vivancos Trim LLC
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Loudoun County's Artfully Crafted General Contractor