Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dosing w/ horse paste 1.87%

Posted by lily490 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 6:49

PetMeds have Iverhart for $22 12 pack no ship cost. Vet won't give script, wants to sell 6 pack for $30.

So...I have spitz mix, approx 35lb. and lab mix approx. 45lb.

I have horse paste 1.87% and a 3cc syringe. Can you make it simple for me? Can't even afford people meds right now!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dosing w/ horse paste 1.87%

did you read the long thread

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg0713514016840.html?114

figure the dose for 40 pound dogs. close enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: long thread,.

o
give it a try

I will give it a try. Hope I copy and paste the good stuff. some are in error in that thread.

Dogs weight = volume of 1% undiluted solution
10 lbs = .0027 cc or ml (call it .003)
20 lbs = .0055 cc or ml
30 lbs = .0082 cc or ml
40 lbs = .011 cc or ml

Your's is 1.9% or about twice as strong therefore need half the dose. so you want .005 or .006 cc. that is tiny.

It is 1/200 of a cc. it is 1/20 part of the tenth of a cc.

see if you can put down .1 or tenth of cc. now mix with something. you want to add 19 or 20 parts of the mix like water. mix it up and now give the dog .1 cc of the watered down mix.

.1 cc med. + 1.9 cc of water = 2 cc of mix. take .1 cc of mix for the dog.

You are really not suppose to use water. but they recommend something else. However if you give it to them right away I see no problem.

By the way a higher dose is safe. I think you can give 1 cc to each dog and they will be ok. I would give about .2 cc to make sure the dog gets something.

Throw out the rest as it will go bad over time in water.

Can some other people verify if I did it correctly. I am not sure.

You could also water .1 cc meds down with 20 cc of water and mix it up then use 1 cc of that mix. That might be easier to work with. make sure you mix it good so you get some meds and not all water.

I figured everything using .005 cc and you probably want .006 cc so give a little extra. The amounts are so small that it is hard to measure. The dogs can do ok on higher doses.

Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here