Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
O'Neal Blueberries

Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 17:36

I'm a huge fan now of O'Neal Blueberries. These berries are sweet, large and very juicy. Love the earliness too. You can buy them at just about garden center here in So Cal. Can't say enough good things about them - really great flavor. They might be emerging as my favorites.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: O'Neal Blueberries

Thanks mrclint,
They are sold at a few nurseries here in Washington.I was wondering about them,they don't seem to get much press on this forum. Brady

o

There are definitely fans of it here, maybe not recently but I recall past discussions on it. I have O'Neal and its one of my better varieties.

Scott

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 12:11

Yeah, there is a major case of "rarer being better" on a number of message boards. Tomato growers have this disease in spades. Many of the standard varieties are standards because they are really good and reliable. For fruit - Wonderful pomegranate, Mission fig & O'Neal BB come quickly to mind. You have to snicker a little at the pattern of locating a hard to find variety and then singing its praises. Then you watch folks scurry to find it. Earlier or later varieties that extend the season are always worth chasing down, but maybe not so much for trendy conversation pieces.

If you have another early BB such as Misty to help with pollination, O'Neal should do well for you. But we know all BB do better with other varieties that bloom at the same time.

o

I just planted an O'Neal. It's the only southern highbush type I have, but I have lots of rabbiteyes. Will the rabbiteyes pollinate the O'Neal?

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 15:52

"Will the rabbiteyes pollinate the O'Neal?"

It's hard to say for sure. See the link below and draw your own conclusions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rabbit Eye and Highbush Blueberries Crosspollinate

o

I have about 10 O'Neal and really like them. They ripen 2-3 weeks ahead of my earliest Rabbiteye, which is Climax in a normal spring. The O'Neal are light bearers, so I am not sure if the Rabbiteyes pollinate them, of if I would be better off with another Southern Highbush to pollinate them.
My latest ripening are Powderblue and Onslow, with Onslow being slightly later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here