Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitful412

Orange Raspberries???

fruitful412
10 years ago

Has anyone ever seen orange raspberries? I have one growing in my garden. I do have a mixture of all different kinds, and this one just sort of came by itself, in my vegetable bed, actually, not even close to the berry patch. It doesn't behave like any raspberry I have. It tastes like a black, but it bears on both floricanes and primocanes, and it tip roots without suckering. The only thing I can think of is that it's a cross between an everbearing red (I have Carolines) and a wild yellow, which are derived from the blacks, native to Pennsylvania around these parts. I have been trying to propagate wild yellows for several years with no success. The picture is from last year. The canes were bright yellow in the fall and currently now that they are growing again.

Comments (56)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I know the USDA has been looking at anthocyanin deficiencies in black raspberries. They would probably be interested in seeds. Having these deficient types helps them identify the genes that cause it.

• tyler_j
    10 years ago

Hi Fruitful,

It sounds like you have quite a collection of brambles :)

if you want to have the wild yellows in your garden the easiest way to propagate them is to bury a tip a couple inches in august or september and then dig that tip up next spring. They root very easily as soon as those tips come in contact with the ground. If you go check out the patch you gather from there will likely be tips ready to dig up right now. I also grow them from seed quite easily also if you collect some berries this year. They just need some scarification with some hydrogen peroxide to start the germination. Though they do say not to plant black raspberry near other brambles due to disease spread.

Is the taste more like a yellow raspberry or more similar to the wild yellow?

It sounds like you have a very unique berry there! If you are interested in Burbank's pure white blackberry I'd be interested in a trade? Or I could send you some wild yellowcaps also.

Tyler

This post was edited by tyler_j on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 8:06

• berry_bob
    10 years ago

dang those are neat , now I want some ;)

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Drew, if you can get seeds will they grow true to Valentina? Mrs. G

• spartan-apple
    10 years ago

When I was a boy growing up in SE WI, my brother and I picked wild black raspberries and sold them. We usually
    earned 75 cents a pint. While black raspberries were plentiful in the open hickory/oak forests, we also came across some yellow/orange raspberries.

The yellow/orange ones were my favorite! Those we did not sell as they were not common. We never shared those
    spots with anyone! Sadly the whole woods is now a giant subdivision. So much for boyhood memories.

I do not grow yellow raspberries but I did plant some Jewel
    black raspberries last year. They are looking mighty good
    this spring. Hoping for a decent crop.

Everyone I know who grew the commercial yellow types said the flavor was good but the yield is poor. I did not realize the yellow ones are a sport of black raspberry. Makes sense as we found them in the wild with the blacks.

• tyler_j
    10 years ago

Fruitful... you mentioned the thorny berry stock... here is a picture of my yellowcap (still green fruit). It looks quite similar to yours with the thorns. That and the berry shape I'd say you have a cross with the wild yellowcap there.
    Tyler

{{gwi:89775}}

Here are my ripe yellowcaps

{{gwi:89776}}
    {{gwi:89777}}

• berry_bob
    10 years ago

Tyler Where can I buy a couple of them canes ?

• tyler_j
    10 years ago

Bob I've never seen them for sale anywhere.. but if you want to email me I could send you some seeds if you like?

Tyler

• berry_bob
    10 years ago

Email sent
    ,, Thank You

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"Drew, if you can get seeds will they grow true to Valentina? Mrs. G"

Well some would, you could get possible cross pollination, but they are self fruitful, so a good chance some of the seeds would be true. Big problem is growing from seed. I have tried and failed so far. I talked to a raspberry breeder, and he said scarification has to be done with sulfuric acid, and then a long stratification where the seeds remain wet.
    I'm going to try next winter. I got step by step instructions from the breeder of the Niwot raspberry, Pete Tallman. How he does it.
    He also gave me instruction on how to hand pollinate berries. Nice guy! He just underwent a hip replacement, hope he is ok?

Anyway I don't have seeds to Valentina. I have some other Rubus seeds I want to grow. I failed this spring to germinate any, have some left, will follow Pete's protocol.
    I have sulfuric acid I use for my blueberries.
    I would certianly be interested in seeds, and have no problems sending seedlings to people who send me seeds, or anybody who wants the plant.

• fruitful412
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tyler

They sure look like mine. I just wish I knew where the cross came from, as I haven't seen a wild yellow anywhere near me. When I used to pick mine in the wild, I lived about 20 miles away from where I am now, and when I went back there last year I didn't find a single raspberry of any kind left. The power company sprayed and took them all down. I have a difficult time finding any wild raspberries where I live now, as there are no woods. I live in farm country, and all we have around are fields of corn and soybeans. I find a lot of wineberries in the hedgerows, but no raspberries. That's why I grow my own. I do have wild black raspberries in the front, but all my cultivated ones are in the rear. Wild ones still make the best wine. Are your orange berries everbearing?

• tyler_j
    10 years ago

Fruitful,

They could be a cross with one of your yellow raspberries with your black raspberry. How different do they taste compared to yellowcaps?

No mine produce berries on 2nd year canes just like the black raspberry. If you are interested in some seed let me know. wtj1971@hotmail.com

Tyler

Drew I've also had good luck using hydrogen peroxide for scarification of raspberry seed.

This post was edited by tyler_j on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 19:50

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"I did not realize the yellow ones are a sport of black raspberry"

Spartan, they are not! Most yellows sold commercially are sports of reds. Kiwi-Gold is a sport of Heritage.
    Also my Kiwi Gold and Fall Gold are awesome producers. I get about 100 berries per cane. Anne is one that is a light producer. I also have 2 summer bearing yellows, Honey Queen, and Cascade Gold. They don't appear to be light producers. Cascade Gold produces canes like blackberries produce canes. Biggest things I ever saw! I'm waiting on my first crop from these two.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 4:08

• swaine
    10 years ago

Hstratyler J sent me some seeds to the uk a fair few years ago from his yellowcaps, the fruiting colours of the seedlings varied greatly from whites, thru yellows, to the strange copper coloured berries pictured centre, best wishes stew

• swaine
    10 years ago

valentina pictured with some other raspberries

• tyler_j
    10 years ago

HI Stew.... glad they grew for you :)

Tyler

• swaine
    10 years ago

Hi Tyler, many many thanks they did, this year I have some seedlings from the adult plants I grew from the seeds you sent me, so im hoping for some more interesting colours from your line, I had a very pale yellow/white but lost it to vine weevil, I grow all my American and Canadian plants in a polytunnel for extra care due to rarity in the uk, so an outbreak of vine weevils in some pots made me lose a few plants, , best wishes stew

• fruitful412
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drew, you commented that yellows are sports of reds not blacks, but around here in PA we don't have reds as natives, only blacks, and we have yellows, so they can't come from reds. Besides, the wild yellows taste like the wild blacks, only sweeter, without that perfume-like quality that reds have.

And last year my Annes outproduced any of my other berries, no matter what color.

Swaine, those ones in the center of your hand look just like mine. They are bright orange to start, turning to a copper when really sweet.

• tyler_j
    10 years ago

Fruitful, what Drew was meaning was the commercially available yellow raspberry (ie fallgold, kiwi gold, anne, etc) are all part of the "Rubus idaeus" family and are from the same line as the common red raspberry (Heritage, Caroline, etc.). The wild yellow.. or yellowcap is a sport of the black raspberry which is a "Rubus occidentalis"

Thats why yours is intriguing because it might be a cross of a wild black raspberry and a common yellow as it has the fruit appearance and tip rooting characteristics of the black raspberry but also has the colour and everbearing characteristics of the commercial yellow.

So propagate the heck out of that plant lol! :)

The yellowcaps in my pictures would have turned darker also had I waited longer to pick them.... more crimson/copper but I usually pick them too early because I can't wait lol.

Tyler

This post was edited by tyler_j on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 13:38

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Here's a photo of the wild yellowcaps that grow around here. There aren't that many, but they are super sweet.

• tyler_j
    9 years ago

Fruitful.... maybe you could post more pics as it grows this year so it can be compared to the wild yellowcap. I would be interested to see a picture of the cane and leaves.

Tyler

• tyler_j
    9 years ago

Hi Fruitful412......that orange raspberry must be fruiting soon is it??? If you ever have some extra seed from that one I would be very interested in trading with you?? :)

Tyler

wtj1971@hotmail.com

• berry_bob
    9 years ago

no luck yet on them seeds Tyler

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Yeah me either, but I'll try another round in different media.

• Dtunesgw
    9 years ago

Hey Folks, I have those as well. I have a huge patch of wild black raspberries in my back yard. In one area they're a light yellow/orange, sometimes with red speckles. As far as I can tell, the rest of the plant looks like the black ones. They do taste different, very sweet and sugary. They lack some of black's tang but are equally good in their own way. I want to try to propagate the yellow ones in another spot to prevent them from being over taken by the regular ones. I got to eat a few of the first ripe ones today, until my kids found them of course.

• berry_bob
    9 years ago

Dtunes , tip root them into pots or wait till fall and dig some up . I need to get more seeds and try them again :)

• berry_bob
    9 years ago

Dtunes would you be interested in sending me a couple dried berries ?

• Dtunesgw
    9 years ago

Absolutely berry_Bob. Any particular steps I should take to ensure they're dried properly and viable? I don't know much about raspberry genetics but the yellow ones are growing all around the normal black raspberries, I don't know if the seeds will be true or not. Regardless I'll send you some.

Here's a pic a took today of some of the yellow/orange ones. They're a little behind the black raspberries in ripening.

I'll try to root some as well and hopefully I can start up a new patch away from the black raspberries next year.

• berry_bob
    9 years ago

Thank You
    here is what I found on the web

Place them in a food processor with a little water and pulse it until a juicy pulp forms.
    Empty the mushy fruit into a mesh strainer over a sink. Push the fruit through the strainer. Spray the remaining pulp with water until only clean seeds are left in the strainer.
    Place the seeds on a clean paper towel and let them sit until they are dry
    I'm not sure you need the food processor , just mash and rinse then dry .
    My email is in my profile I believe

• Dtunesgw
    9 years ago

Thanks, I'll let you know when the seeds are ready to be sent.

• tyler_j
    9 years ago

Hey Drew & Bob... the batch of seed that I sent you guys a few months ago are just now sprouting for me. I guess I should have given them longer warm stratification before refrigerating them last fall. Just an fyi in case you still have them potted.

Tyler

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Tyler,

I did get some to sprout too, but they died I'm afraid. Starting over...

• berry_bob
    9 years ago

I will have to check the sand and see if its dried out now , I gave up on them a week or so ago

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

I have found Valentina at Hartmann's but it says it only grows to 5", This does not sound like the Valentina that is in the U.K., does it?

In the U.K.:
    http://www.rwwalpole.co.uk/valentina.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Valentina

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

That one is a ground cover, same name. So no, not the same plant.

• Paul Harris
    8 years ago

Valentina raspberries are freely available in Marshall seeds. 6 canes for 17 pounds ish. They are extremely vigorous and spread everywhere

• Greenhorn2
    8 years ago

Hello peeps my 2 cent here, i'm growing Fall Gold, Kiwi Gold, Double Gold....each of those turn orange if u let them get extra rip, especially Double Gold, Kiwi Gold.......even though they are not considered an Orange Raspberry.

• shane11
    8 years ago

Hold onto kiwigold as it is no longer available.

At least not in the USA.

• Greenhorn2
    8 years ago

Looks like a Patent thing going on with Kiwi Gold...plenty of people around have it to share if it's not 4 sale in U.S. anymore bla bla bla.......keep passing around suckers to keep this wonderful raspberry around for others to enjoy, problem solved.

Alrighty then, getting back to Orange Raspberries my Double Golds have many shades from berry to berry, sometime blush, amber, orange........all good.

I'll post a pic of my Kiwi's next time i get a real dark one, for now here's a pic of my Double Gold's today.

Double Gold Raspberries

• fruitful412
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I also have Fall Gold and Double Gold, and I don't consider them turning orange. I actually let my Fall Gold berries get that wonderful pink hue when they just about fall off the bush, because I use them for winemaking and I want them to have the sweetest taste. No, my orange raspberries are orange from the start. When immature, they are pale yellow, then they turn a bright orange, and if I leave them on they turn brown and get very sweet. Their flavor is close to a wild black.

Picture of this year's berries, with the first one already removed. And by the way, it was ripe before any of my other berries. This is of the second bush. It produces slightly larger berries than the original. I pollinated several flowers with other berries and harvested those. Let's see if they come up and what they turn into!

Also, my Double Gold berries are really producing this year. I wasn't impressed by their performance the past two years and got rid of most of my canes. But this spring, wow! The canes are loaded with the biggest berries I've ever seen. Now I'm sorry I took out the rest. But then all my berries are fabulous this year. I think it was the perfect spring. (Cross my fingers for the SWD.)

• inkfin
    8 years ago
  • drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks Inkfin, but that is the wrong one. A ground cover raspberry is also named Valentina. I'm looking for the fall bearing orange Valentina.

• Paul Harris
    8 years ago

They have All Gold on there too

• Greenhorn2
    8 years ago

Here's an extra ripe Kiwi Gold

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    8 years ago

Yes available in the UK, not here (Valentina).

• Paul Harris
    8 years ago

Unlucky. They are amazing. Mine are just ripening now.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    8 years ago

I hope they make it here down the road. In the meantime plenty new cultivars to play with.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    8 years ago

We do have a sort of orange berry, it is rather a translucent pink. A very beautiful berry. It is Double Gold. Here are some Double Golds, with Anne, and Fall Gold.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    8 years ago

One of the best yellows is Cascade Gold. It rivals Anne, may be better?
    It is more a solid looking yellow with a red blush. Fantastic berries.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting