Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Snake Plant growing in spring?

Posted by soughtseven1035 Zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 16:45

I have a snake plant that I bought during this past winter. It has survived indoors pretty well. I know this plant doesn't like a lot of water though.

I just saw today that it began sprouting up a new plant to the right of the original. I have it in a 4" pot still. I know you can propagate these plants by cutting off the top and putting them in new pots. I tried that, but the weather was extremely cold so it did not grow well.

Since this plant likes so much sun, can I put it outside during the summer?

How do I handle the little sprout that came up from the soil in the pot? I don't want it taking nutrients away from the main plant. Can I take it out somehow or what should I do? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Snake Plant growing in spring?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 18:09

No need to do anything - just let it grow .... or separate it from the main plant and start another. I wouldn't put the plant in direct sun, but it WILL show its appreciation if you put it outdoors after night temps are reliably above 55*.

If you want it to have the best opportunity to realize its potential, knock all the soil off the root mass & repot into a 6" pot and a really chunky soil, and fertilize it regularly. I'll link you to a thread you might find to be illuminating .... and don't be bashful about asking questions.

What you grow in has a very significant impact on what kind of return you can expect for your efforts. A healthy root system is a prerequisite to a healthy plant. Learn how to keep the roots happy and the rest is easy.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me to see what he's talking about ....

o

The new sprout does not take anything from the mother plant. That is how these plants spread, it's a normal and healthy reaction.

You should also know that many people love Sansevieria because they thrive in locations with low light. You'll find it on nearly all 'top ten' lists of best houseplants for low light conditions.

o

Below is a pic showing what's going on under the surface. The mama and pup are connected under the soil. You can separate the baby if you want a 2nd plant. Include some of the rhizome/roots by cutting or snapping it apart from the mama. It is also possible to propagate new plants from leaves, or pieces of leaves. After being cut, they should callous (dry) before putting them in soil. If cutting/snapping rhizomes apart, it's safer (in terns of reduced risk of rot) to let those callous overnight before repotting also.

They do tolerate low light well, but can/will grow much more quickly with more light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here