Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify another plant

Posted by ladysingsthblus 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 15:22

I recently removed all the withered and dying fronds and this is what's left. It originally had about a dozen fronds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify another plant

Here's another angle.

o

amaryllis

o

What kind of amaryllis do you think it is? It's never flowered and I've had it over a decade. Plus the base of the fronds are wrapped in a paperlike skin that is reminiscent of some palms.

o

I'm pretty sure that's a Clivia, atleast that's what it looks like to me. It does flower, but it has to have a resting period and stuff like that, you should research on it as the flowers are very beautiful!!

o

Probably amaryllis, perhaps a closer pic of the base of the plant?

o

The base.

o

You may want to post this in name that plant forum.

o

Lady,

It is difficult to tell by the leaves alone, but an Amaryllis will have a bulb, whereas a Clivia will have thick, fleshy roots. Clivias are evergreen, while Amaryllis will lose its leaves some time after flowering and "go to sleep" for awhile. My Clivia has never bloomed for me in over 5 years, so I won't give any advice there, but my Amaryllis blooms each year. I don't give it any special care, just treat as a usual houseplant while it has leaves, never letting it dry out all the way, and removing the leaves one by one as they yellow and die.

I, and others, could go on and on about these all day, but I'm sure there are other conversations that cover all of this. First step is figuring out what it actually is, then going from there.

FF

o

I wonder if your plant could be an agapanthus? Mine get those papery things at the base. The leaves on your plant seem very dark, but perhaps would be lighter if grown outside?

o

My post didn't show up as being of today's date, I don't know why...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here