Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House plant in trouble

Posted by west9491 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 14:39

Unfortunately, I don't know the name of this plant. I got it from my dad's funeral about 4 years ago. Its struggling quite a bit, I repotted it in MG but has suffered being dug up a couple of times by my cats. My main concern is the fungus that is appearing at the base of the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House plant in trouble

Make sure it's not soil mealybugs. Just touch one of the spots and see if it moves.

o

Not root mealybugs, but a mold or fungus of some kind. It actually looks like a species of slime mold, which is neither a mold nor a fungus.

o

So do I do anything? Or is it harmless. It's a fungus I believe. There was some more of it on some dead plant matter lying on soil.

o

Wet it down with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Repeat when it returns. After a few treatments it shouldnt come back.

Not sure if it is harmful. But I use hydrogen peroxide to kill any mold that grows in/around my potted plants.

o

I meant to say, not sure if the fungus is harmful. The hydrogen peroxide treatment does not seem to be.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 16:47

Of the many thousands of fungi that plants find themselves in contact with, only a few are harmful; so while we can't say for sure there is nothing to worry about, odds significantly favor that being the case.

MG soil does retain a LOT of water, so you'll need to keep your watering hand under control because over-watering is probably the potential limitation you're most likely to encounter as a matter of course. DO use a 'tell', like a wood dowel sharpened in a pencil sharpener & stuck deep in the soil or a bamboo skewer purposed the same, to see if you really do need to water. If the stick comes out wet, dark. or cooler on the inside of your wrist than before you stuck it in the soil, you needn't water.

Are you comfortable with your ability to keep plants happy, or in need of some guidance in that regard?

Al

o

I do ok with outdoor plants. Indoors, not so well haha. So yeah any advice is greatly appreciated.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 14:25

If you read this basic overview that will help you avoid almost all the common problems those fairly new to indoor gardening encounter almost as a matter of course, and then move on to gaining an understanding of how water behaves in soils, a light should have gone on that signifies the realization that your soil choice, watering habits, and nutritional supplementation program pretty much determines how close you'll be able to come to providing your plants with the growing opportunities they need to realize their genetic potential. Almost ALL plants have the genetic potential to become beautiful specimens, if we just learn how to eliminate the conditions that limit them; and it's not as difficult as it seems on its face.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here