Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID, and Care

Posted by aaronuws Indiana (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 7:30

I bought this at a local nursery because I liked it. I have no idea what it is, and proper care. I asked what kind of plant it was (because it had no tag), and of course, they didn't know. I have it in a south facing window, and water about once a week. So far, its doing good. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID, and Care

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 7:46

It's Invisiblus absentitis. Light tolerance varies among the Invisiblus group of plants, but it likes very bright light. It prefers a soil that drains very freely and allows you to apply enough water at each watering so the soil is completely saturated and at least 15-20% of the total volume of water exits the drain hole; this, without you having to be concerned about the soil remaining soggy for an extended period and impeding root function or causing rot issues. A picture of the plant would be nice, but almost all plants respond very favorably to fertilizers that have NPK RATIOS (different than NPK %s - ask if you don't understand) that approximate 2:1:2 or 3:1:2.

You might find the link I left to be valuable in that it can help you avoid almost all the common pitfalls associated with growing in containers.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: An overview

o

Heythere, welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing you browsed your computer to add the picture, then clicked preview, then edited your comments again, clicked preview again, before submitting. When you click preview, the picture info doesn't stay in the browse box, so it got lost.

Hope you'll try again although the info above should be helpful no matter what kind of plant it is.

"Invisiblus absentitis" Good one!

o

hey tapla, I guess I'm getting old . . . read op's question, saw your answer & wondered if they'd sent a pic to you or something . . . I didn't recognize the name of the plant 'invisiblus absentitis' so I almost googled it . . sheeeesh!
Thanks for your learned answer . . . ;oP

o

Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 18:21

I was hoping I'd get at least ONE of you! ;-)

Al

o

Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 18:22

I was hoping I'd get at least ONE of you! ;-)

Al

o

Lol! You're too funny, Al!

o

Hi Al,

You got me, on my new laptop, I'm trying to learn the trackpad (not use a mouse). Struggling a bit, so a laugh was especially welcome, thx!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here