Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to growing things and can't figure out what's going on...

Posted by iammadeofdreams Indiana (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 11:41

I got this and a couple other plants at the beginning of November. I've always liked the idea of house plants, but I've never really had much luck with anything other than aloe or cactuses. When I got this one there was a little leaf at the bottom that turned yellow I thought it was stress or my icky city water. So I switched to distilled water and hoped for the best. However, there are bigger leaves that have turned yellow and I can't think of what else could be causing it. I moved it a little away from the window in case it was too cold and that doesn't seem to be helping either. Unfortunately I have a weird emotional attachment to this and the other plants I got at the same time because they came from my dad's memorial service, so it's really important I figure out how to save it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to growing things and can't figure out what's going on...

The odds favor the problem as being over-watering, or a soil too water-retentive.

Plants do best when the entire soil mass is barely damp. They do poorly when a fraction of the soil remains saturated between waterings, and the larger the volume that remains saturated, the worse they do. AIR, is as important in the root zone as water. The process of water/nutrient uptake is energy driven, and requires plenty of oxygen to be performed with efficiency. Your soil choice and watering habits are tightly linked and very important to how well your plants CAN do, and how easy or difficult it is for you to bring along healthy plants.

That's enough for now - I won't bombard you with tons of information, but I'll leave you with the thought that knowledge is the fastest way to a green thumb. I'll leave you a link that covers most of the basics. If you decide you want more details or to learn more about growing, let me know and I'll furnish another link or two that should provide a considerable degree of illumination.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me, and I'll take you to some basics ....

o

I vote over-watering as well. Good luck, I know how important this plant must be to you.

o

I will try waiting a little longer in between watering. The air in my apartment is pretty dry though and the soil at the top of the plant gets dry enough to pull away from the sides of the pot within 24 hours or so of watering and it worries me.

Also, should I trim off all of the leaves that have started to turn yellow? One of them fell off in my hand today and the stem was weird and mushy.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here