Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mateo_15

Jade tree is losing a lot of leaves!

mateo-15
9 years ago

This is a before picture...Hello, I have a 6-7 year old Jade that is losing a ton of leaves. I bought it this spring from a local green house. when i first got it home i transplanted it right away using a well draining soil mixture. so for the first couple months i kept it in the house and noticed it was losing a lot of leaves. i decided to put it outside under a willow tree for the remainder of the summer where it quit losing leaves and filled in beautifully. Now that i brought it back in this fall, its been shedding like crazy! Im concerned because its at least ahandful a day. And I bet its lost a third of its leaves in two months. I NEED HELP!!!

Comments (12)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Likely a light issue, but there are other possibilities. Root congestion, over-watering, under-watering, and a high level of dissolved solids (salts) in the soil (solution) can also cause the shedding of leaves.

Al

• mateo-15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As for it being a light issue, i also have like 6 other jade plants in the same place that haven't lost any leaves? Like i said before when it was outside it did very well and has always lived in a greenhouse or outside. Maybe its just stressed from not have tons of light?? Are there any suggestions you may have for me!! It would be greatly appreciated..

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

I don't agree that your big jade is getting the same light as the little ones in front of the window. Granted they are in the same room, but the little jades in front of the window are getting way more light then the big one in the corner.

Do you have another window (not North facing) that the big jade can have all to itself? That plant needs a lot of light. I guarantee you that it is not getting enough light in the corner like that.

9 years ago

When a plant is accustomed to a particular photo load, it is marginally able to adjust a reduction in light from the level it's acclimated to, and can adjust to an increased light load a little better than reduced light. I can explain the exact mechanism by which this occurs (it's boring) or you can take my word for the fact that even outdoor shade is much brighter than a plant in front of a full sun window with open venetian blinds on it, and that's the most likely cause of the wholesale shedding of leaves - if you're not under-watering or over-watering the plant and causing it to shed leaves as a drought response.

I gave you a list of possibilities. Check off the things you know it's NOT, and what's left is probably what it IS.

Al

• mateo-15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advise! So I'm thinking it is because of the light issue. I don't really have any other place to put it. the window its in now is a west facing one. I do have a sliding glass door down stair where its a north facing window. I also have a jade down there that is a little smaller and was extremely frost bit by the previous owner so i cut it way back and its growing like crazy and i think it might be flowering!? Its a lot colder down stairs also since i don't really heat it. Do you think i should put it down there too? Do you think that if I leave it where it is it will die?

9 years ago

It won't die because of the shedding of leaves, but it could die if you over/under-water or let the level of salts in the soil get to skewed from reasonable levels, so guard against those things and be patient. The plant will shed the leaves that aren't able to adjust to the new light levels and grow new leaves and a lot more branches in place of those lost. In the end your plant will be fuller because of what it's going through now.

If you REALLY want your plants to realize as much of their potential as possible, you might start thinking about repotting them into a soil that allows you to water correctly every time you water. Repotting is a more involved operation than potting up, and provides the plant with much greater opportunity to realize more of its potential. A soil you can water correctly practically eliminates the potential for over-watering, and makes taking control over nutritional supplementation (fertilizing) very easy. This is true for all your potted plants - not just houseplants or succulents.

Al

• mateo-15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i don't really know what you mean by the salt levels and being skewed. Like i said before i did replant it when i got it this spring added fresh potting soil with a sand mix. And i was told that i shouldn't water it to much through the winter by a lady in my town that has a 25 year old plant. I didn't mention this before but about every other time i do water when in the house i use fish emulations from my fish tank cleaning. is that ok? I read it was good for it. Im a rookie at this and probably should have started with a smaller but fell in love when i first saw a jade plant! :)

9 years ago

Salt levels = a total of everything dissolved in the water that is in the soil. That includes the dissolved solids in your tapwater (if you water with tap water) and the fertilizer salts the plant doesn't use. These dissolved solids accumulate in the soil and make it difficult for the plant to take up water and can cause the plant to shed leaves or die - but that's probably not happening to your plant.

There is an ideal ratio between the nutrients that should be in your soil at all times. When that ratio gets skewed (out of whack), it's bad for the plant.

Some people will argue that fish tank water is a good thing, but they won't be able to tell you why they think it's better than a sound fertilizer supplementation plan. It is better than no fertilizer, but has no potential to help if you have a solid plan in place. Because you're a beginner, it might not do me any good to try to explain why, but I will if you want to take a stab at it.

The soil + sand is probably not a good choice because it's going to hold a LOT of excess water, and jades don't like soggy soils. You can work around that issue by being very careful about how/when you water, but it's far from ideal.

Al

• mateo-15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I read that adding sand would help it with drainage so that it wouldn't get root rot? and is there a way to check the salt levels? and how about watering. i haven't watered any of them for a month because its winter. and does it matter that none of the other 10 jade plants have lost leaves and were outside also all summer, most in full sun? Sorry about all the question. lol but trying to get as much knowledge as i can..

9 years ago

If you promise to read this (click on this link), I promise I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

Al

• mateo-15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

will do! Thanks! Ill be getting back to you maybe tomorrow!

• mateo-15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so Im not the best reader but did my best. Im getting worried cause now some smaller branches fell off. the ones that are still green. Is that about the same thing as the leaves falling? should i water it? its been about a month and a half? Should I repot it with new potting soil mix? Should I put it where the little jades plants are? Thanks