Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dont throw that away

Posted by angie83 texas z9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 08 at 14:47

I have had so much fun with paint and junk here is a bird house I made it was a butter tub and cost nothing to make Im working on others but here is a pic .
Cat Bird House

Photobucket

stuff I used to make bird house
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dont throw that away

Well now isn't this fantastic, I love it. What a creative way to turn a plastic butter tub into a birdhouse. You did a great job on this.

Sal

o

Oh my gosh, how creative! I hope some birdies move in, because that would make for a great picture!

o

That is adorable -- especially with the knife & fork !!!
What a creative mind you have !!!!!!!!!

o

Here is something to do with those milk jugs Im not very good at painting I got this one to dark but its just like our popup camper we have same colors.I am ganna add a gas bottle but Im all out of thread spools.

Popup camper (milk Jugs)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Love that b'house.TFS
Kathi

o

Oh my how creative you are!!! You are a very good painter! They are both too cute.

o

Here is another milk jug trick I love this one you can use it as a candle holder, cup holder , patio lights ,and plant holder.Im painting mine like sunflowers ill post a painted pic later but here is the junk.
Starts out like this

Photobucket

then this
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Your creativity and imagination just totally has me blown away. WOW. The cat birdhouse is really a hoot.

hugs, Karen

o

These are too cute!!! How creative and original! Could you please share the directions about what you used for the stem for your sunflower stake and how you attached it? Happy junkin! Whimsy

o

I love all your creations, thanks for sharing.

o

Everything is wonderful!! I especially like the cat birdhouse(-: That is so funny!!!!

o

Thx all so glad yal like this junk (Got to Have Milk) hehehe whimsy the dowel rod is the 7/16 x36" and some skrews I drilled a pilot hole to start small star in the flower and large star on bottlom all painted green before put on flower here is it painted and finished .Also always prime with plastic spray paint in white on any plastics to hold your paint and finish with a sealer.
Painted sunflower

Photobucket

Heres all it took plus scissers

Photobucket

o

Wonderful ideas! And don't sell yourself short on your painting abilities, I'd say you are pretty darn good at it! They are all awesome ideas! Thanks for sharing the finished pictures and showing the materials you made them out of. I would have never guessed!

o

Wow! Your recycled items are just wonderful! You certainly have a good sense of humor with your cat birdhouse! Your painting is also great. I appreciate the pictures of the materials you used. I always do better trying to make something if I have a visual of it. Thanks for sharing your pictures and your tutorial for the sunflower. You are one creative lady!

o

Oh that birdhouse really tickles my funny bone. Thank you for the great post!

o

Heres somemore Junk this is a planter that hangs on fence it could also be a birdhouse Im ganna put a temp gage on it but it was made out of butter tub and extra lids.the second is a planter watering can which can also be a bird house but Im ganna paint bluebonnets on it super easy made out of a gain soap bottle.
sunflower planter
Photobucket

How I hang it on fence
Photobucket

Watering can (Gain bottle) not finished yet
Koolaid bottle and fruit cup

Photobucket

o

What a creative little ar-teest you are! Those are all awesome!! Keep up the recycling! ~Anj

o

Wow, those are some awesome projects! Love them all, can't pick a favorite!

o

Those are awesome!

o

I really want to thx everyone one for the wonderful response to my project thx all here is some more junk.

This is my garden gnome man working on women but she not done yet

Photobucket

Here is my water barrel painted with blue bonnets

Photobucket

Here is stuff for both missing koolaid juice bottle all out.
Photobucket

o

Woopsy forgot to show you the back and put the ears on hehe the ears are lima beans and I fulled it with kitty litter .
Back side with hands
Photobucket
look at his lima bean ears
Photobucket
He need a friend hehehe
Photobucket

o

Here is the mrs.garden gnome.
Photobucket
Back
Photobucket
together
Photobucket

o

Wow that Mr & Mrs Gnome are the cutest couple I've seen. How clever. Thanks Angie83

o

You have got talent ,wit and you recycle to boot!
Let's keep that junk out of the landfill. whats next?????

o

Thx you all for great ego boost hehehe here is some fun with a hawaiian punch jug.
Lady bug planter
Photobucket

painted planter
Photobucket

Back of planter
Photobucket
This was super easy and so much fun

Photobucket

o

These are awesome! You should write a book...I would want to buy it. What great ideas for 'craft nite'. Thanks for posting.

o

Thx moore4fam not sure folks would buy a recycling book but that sounds like fun. My granddaughter said my ladybug needed legs so here they are the things we do for our grandchildren.Here is more remeber all these can be planters or birdhouse I just need planters more also I put a pic of the cat bird house in a tabby cat.
Ladybug with legs
Photobucket

Bumble bee buddy planter

Photobucket

Back of bee
Photobucket

Bee and Buddy soon to be butterfly too

Photobucket

Tabby cat birdhouse

Photobucket

o

OMG, all of your creations are so very cute. I never even imagined the great things you could do with the plastic containers. I think these would sell good at a local farmers market in the Spring/Summer.

Sal

o

Amazing!

o

These are the most wonderful things I have ever seen. Please don't stop and keep us updated. They are gorgeous. Sonja

o

Here is my frog got him alittle dark it was the only green I had but he was easy use to be a cran grape jug and legs are straws.
Frog Planter

Photobucket

Frog with his buddys soon to be butterfly buddy

Photobucket

o

You are doing an incredible job recycling into wonderful garden junk. I love every one of these.

o

Here is my new planters.Made with crangrape jugs.
Anise caterpillar planter
Photobucket

Photobucket
both together
Photobucket

o

Your imagination, and painting talent, just has me totally amazed. I'll also never look at a plastic container the same way again. LOL.
Without your great picture tutorial, I'd never have figured out what you'd made these things from.
The gnome couple has to be my favorite tho.
WOW and WOW, you are one heck of a creator.

hugs, Karen

o

Wow Angie83, you are awesome!

o

Wow!!! You should sell these!!! What is the red ball on top of the antenna??? :)

o

Its a pony bead hot glued to a shishkbob stick and some are rock candy sticks I love rock candy.The caterpilllar antenna is a straw with tribead at end.the legs are straws also with tri beads.I could never sell them I dont drink near enough juice to make them to sell.I hope all will try these my 7 year old makes them they so easy and make great get well gifts or just plant a pretty flower to cheer a friend up.Thx so much for the wonderful emails i will keep makeing post as long as people are interisted I love to make junk out of trash.If anyone has any question just ask hope yal post yals new bottle babys when yal finish them .Also most all these planters can also be made into bird houses too I just dont need any more birdhouses Im running out of trees hehehe.
Thx Angie :)

o

Angie, you have a wonderful imagination and painting talent too! I've loved seeing all your creations. You should mail some pics in to Pack o Fun magazine. They would love your ideas. Luvs

o

I save all sorts of stupid containers all the time just because I feel like, somehow, someday, they can be made into something. Thank you for posting your little projects-- now I have inspiration to gaze upon!

I love your sense of humor! This post gave me a huge smile.

o

I forgot to ask ... what sort of paint to you use on them and what sort of adhesive do you use to glue pieces of plastic together? I never noticed that a Gain detergent bottle looked so nice! I love the gnome couple too. Who would have thought a shampoo bottle could look so adorable?

If you ever decided to go into business, you could probably get plastics off of freecycle.

Keep the pictures coming!

o

Luna I alway base with a plasic spray paint they come in many colors now but I useally use white they can be pricey so white works to prime I use acrylic paints they wash off best for my grandkids and I seal with a clear acrylic sealer some sealers can leave a hazy coat on the darker colors.I use hot glue too and a wood burning tool for holes in my plasic (for drainage).Please post your finished bottle babys Id love to see them you can add stuff like butterfly stickers and even flower stickers my grandaughter does that it make a really cute add .

o

Here is a easy no paint project .You need 2 large water jugs white spray paint and stickers also jumbo popsickle sticks.
1.take 2 water jugs cut tops off and put together
Photobucket

2.glue sticks to jugs and paint white
Photobucket

3.stick stickers on
Photobucket
Photobucket
4.add stuff leafs or beads and seal really good
Photobucket
5. add plants and holes in your planter Super easy
Photobucket

o

Here is a chair made with a hawiian punch jug .
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Fantastic Angie! I too will never look at plastic jugs the same way again!

o

Love all of your stuff! I think I like the pop-up the best! VERY neat!

You reminded me of all the "crazy" things I used to make from stuff like that. I have gotten away from it more over the last few years but I still use "garbage" to make treasures, just different types of stuff. I went from country to Primitive country so I like finding old rusted pieces and wooden items and using them in different ways. Anyway, I had quite the stash of items underneath my sink for years. I loved using jars and cans the most. It drove DH nuts because I had so many things stashed and the family would just roll their eyes at my latest creations. (I knew they were secretly just jealous! LOL) They just don't get it! It's great to make use out of junk!

You picket fence planter reminded me of the time I used an old mini blind to make a small decorative picket fence! I put it between two tuna cans that I painted and put spanish moss in and two little birds! :)

I have a Gain laundry detergent bottle that I use for a watering can. I just never got around to painting it...maybe this year!

o

Here is how some look with plants in them .
Mexican heather
Photobucket

parsley
Photobucket

stickflowers
Photobucket

herbs
Photobucket
hope to have more done this week

o

Everything is fantastic!! I love your repurposing! I wish I had the talent of painting, otherwise I'd copy cat ya! I'm not a painter though.

o
RE: Don't throw that away

Angie,
Your recycled materials use is fabulous! I've been teaching my Kindergartners about recycling so this thread has been just great. :) Keep it up.

o

Thx tdogmom I love to recycle and you cant mess it up it was ganna get throw out so just have fun with it.Im working on a butterfly pot ill post it soon let us see your kindergardens bottle babys when they finish some I have 2 grandkids one 6 and one 3 the 6 year old can paint better than me and the 3 just has a blast here is some outdoor lights Im working on I have so many milkjugs my hubby eats cheerios everyday for his heart.This is a string of leftover white christmas lights each flower has 2 lights in it they look nice at night.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I just love your work I used to do the same magic with 2 liter soda bottles I made all kinds of animal planters and birdhouses sorry to say I left them when I got divorced so now is a good time to start again thank you for the inspiration

o

Angie, I found your work on this blog. Isn't it great that other people are noticing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog

o

Thx shysue for postin that blog that is so cool to see it on that page.Donnainnc post your pics when you get some done love to see yours I love pics.
Angie

o

These are all wonderful!
For someone who claims she can't paint, I'd be thrilled to have any of these items hanging in my garden. I love the cat...he is my favorite.
Diana

o

Really my 6 yearold grandaugh painted the bee its kinda like coloring in a book just with paint I really wish I could do roses and realistic flowers ,but I do use a sharpy to out line I could never do that with a brush Im to shacky and if you use the same bottles I used the eyes fell right in a indented place on jugs so it was super easy.Some day I hope to learn how to oil paint.I hope to get my printer and scanner working soon so I can post the patterns I have then it would be so easy to just print the patterns off yourself Ill get it working soon.

o

Seriously Angie, you should look into doing articles and eventually a book, otherwise with your stuff "out there" someone else will do it! Good luck. YOu are very creative.

o

I just scanned the patterns you should be able to print the page let me know if it wont print for ya.
Pattern

Here is a link that might be useful: patterns

o

oh thank you so much I couldn't get it to enlarge from the other photo and you sure don't want to see the face I did(LOL)

o

Your welcome post your kitty when you finish do you need the tail and paws too.
catbird house

o

Wow. This is famous! A cat holding a fork and knife bird house!!! I will let you know right now that you've inspired me to attempt this project. I will of course involve my 11 year old son and his artistic talents since I posess none of my own. Would you mind telling me if you also decorate the back and sides of the kitty? Not sure what to do back there! #$%^

Truly, you have a great gift for fine whimsy objects and the environment!

o

Hehe No Im lazy I just painted the front.Its super easy you will have fun you cant mess up.I do use a sharp black pin to outline every thing and when you hang it put your hole in front the fork and spoon even though plastic they make the front weight more so put holes in top close to face.Post your kitty when finished .
Angie

o

Here is a better pic of pattern.
Pattern
Here is the caterpillar face pattern remember it wraps the bottle

Pattern

Here is a link that might be useful: more patterns

o

Thank you so much! Errr...one more question. I've had disasterous carved pumpkins at Halloween in the past when the "teeth" area started folding in after a couple days. *When you cut out the mouth on the birdhouse, do you just cut a small circle and paint the rest around it,in black; or do you actually cut from the tongue to the bottom of the nose, leaving the teeth points? Where I'm planning on hanging this, it will receive full morning sun. Just curious if in the heat, would the plastic get too warm and curl up in that area. I still suffer from PCP (Pumpkin Carving Phobia).

Thank you, master!

o

No i cut around my teeth be very careful not to cut teeth .Wasnt to hard the teeth are big just cut slow youll get it think thats the hardest part of whole cat.

o

Here is my butterfly planter.
Photobucket

o

That is so cute
Have to put that on my list
Can't wait until your next one
Bk

o

Angie !! ANGIE ! ! ! A N G I E ! * ! * ! * ! ~ ~ ~
Girl..... Your are just TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
AMAZING ! ! ! ! !
And a Texan to boot ! ! ! W O W !!!!!
Well....
see it if proof that G O D is the Great Creator....
See.... I Believe He made You & Me and for sure TEXAS ..
( I was born in Odessa , TX!) and
Now...
L@@K ..... you have gone and recycled America ! ! !
You are so Talented and sooooo Creative !!!!
You are also a GREAT TEACHER to show all
of us these GRRRRRRRREAT Pics and teach and
Share with us the ideas and patterns and the
way to do this.....
THANK YOU soooooo very much !!!!
God Bless You sister Texan and
Fellow Garden Junker ! ! !
SusieSunshine

o

You know, Angie, I think you have saved more plastic from hitting the dumps than any program could in a year! What wonderful ideas have been shown here and been an inspiration to so many. Thank you so much!

Daisy(me) and the planet!

o

Thx you all so much yal made my day to read this uplifting and yal are my inspiration to do more .I thought my butterfly should fly hehehe made him a hanging basket.
Hanging basket
Photobucket

o

Here is how I made this guy into a hanging basket butterfly need to fly hehehe ,here is how I did it.Its a welches grape bottle painted with plastics spray paint the face in acrylic, legs are straws with tri beads at end wings are dollarstore ,bought antinnas are shiskbob sticks with pony bead at end ,this is super easy post your pic when you do it .
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I'm blown away!!! I'm an artist. . . that DOESN'T MAKE ART!!! I've been teaching it more than making it so I'm also feeling a little bad (not jealous) looking at all your work! What CREATIVITY! I've been saving gallon milk jugs to use as watering devices at home. I never thought to make some garden art. You should really publish your work and ideas in book form if you haven't already. It's easier than trying to gather up materials and do the work at the computer!!! Since I'm a book "purchasaholic" (yeah, y'all like that eh?) I'm sure I'd add it to my collection. I work better from printed (most times), photo, and demo instructions than just printed so I'd love to see your work in a book! You've got an audience . . . I say try and go for it!!!!

o

Angie, put me on your list of pre sales for your book! It would be so much fun to make these things with kids. Seriously you should do it. Maybe someone here can suggest a magazine for an article to start, and an appropriate publisher. I don't know much about such things unfortunately.
kathy

o

Thx chigardener and concretenprimroses Im working on some more stuff hope to post it soon I have loved makein this stuff and it has done well outside here I did lose the lima bean ears on the gnomes but every thing else has done well outside in our texas heat.I should post my pic this week thx for all the uplifting response to this page.
Angie

o

Hi, I know this is nearly a year later, but I absolutely love your projects! I have been looking all over the web for ideas on reusing containers for planters and have found none until now!

I have a question if it isn't too much trouble, what kind of paint did you use? Is it acrylics, and how did it stand up to the rain/ weather?

Thank you :)

o

Glad you bumped up this thread jamie-lynn, because it's a very good one. Unbelievable how well Angie83 can paint! What a good way to recycle, and she was even kind enough to give templates & instructions! ~tenderlee

o

Hi, I know this is nearly a year later, but I absolutely love your projects! I have been looking all over the web for ideas on reusing containers for planters and have found none until now!

I have a question if it isn't too much trouble, what kind of paint did you use? Is it acrylics, and how did it stand up to the rain/ weather?

Thank you :)

o
RE: Dont throw that away!

Ooops, just noticed that I somehow posted the last post twice. Sorry about that!

o

Jamie thanks for bumping this up. I don't believe I saw this post. Absolutely was amazed with what Angie does with plastic bottles. Hmmm, will have to start saving a few.

o

This Wonderful re-cycling and making of
useful " SPECIAL ARTISTIC" items.... just
warms... my heart...

I LOVE THESE THINGS>>> They are all sooooooooooo cute!

Very C R E A T I V E ! ! !

Thanks again!
God Bless !
SusieSunshine

o

Okay my turn to bump it up...Kudos to Angie..YOU ARE AN ARTIST...period!!!!! Consider yourself one!

Those plastic ideas and your paint job is just Genius! PERIOD...just Genius! They are so cute. You should really publish a book! Donna Dewberry eat your heart out.

o

OMG!!! I sure wish I could paint better than I do, cuz I'd be all over copying these babies!! there are so many that are my favorites. I could probably make the little fence box though. Thank you for such creativity & wonderful ways to recycle!!

o

Thanks for bumping this one up, shpnquen. I forgot how cute her creations were. Like you, I wish I could paint better. I'd love a pair of those gnomes.

o

I am in Creative overload right now ........ Whew - what a feeling ! I haven't had that in years ! ------ Thank you all for the boost - I just can't stop smiling ! I'm just in awe !

o

You have done an awesome job turning bad landfill trash into something beautiful. I so know what I will be doing this winter for my craft idea things to keep away the winter blah's.

o

So nice to see this post again. Angie are you still out there? I really think that you should publish a book. With recycling so big right now (thank goodness), I think the timing is very good.
Kathy

o

• Posted by corar 9A, Jax (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 10 at 10:09

How delightful! The artist's eye sees the possibilities in the most common junk. My poor DIL says she's afraid to throw anything away because Mom might want to make something with it. What a creative sisterhood we are!

o

Bump!
Kathy

o

your artistic talent is amazing.. great job. i LOVE the sunflower planters and lights.. they are fabulous!!

o

Talents and creativity are never in short supply on these forums. I happened upon this forum from wintersowing and I am in awe. Totally awesome ladies!

L.

o

Thx so much I love recycleing you should see my boots with dill in them here is this years stuff .Gotta love boots if ya from Texas hehehehe.
Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: Dont throw that away 2#

o

do you have recycling pick up in your area? if you do, then maybe you could work out a deal to pick out things from the recyclers before they crush everything. maybe make a friend of one of the workers that sort thru the recycled stuff so they will set aside things for you to use. worth a try right? then you won't have to buy & use up everything on your own. or ask some of your neighbors to donate things to you instead of the recycle bins. maybe in exchange for making something for them. can't hurt to ask them.

o

Now I have to buy shampoo that comes in "gnome shaped" bottles!
Kathy

o

OK. I hope you don't mind that I'm going to steal some of these ideas! Can you post what the back looks like on the cat face birdhouse?

o

Hi I really didnt do nothing to back here is pics.Hope this will help i also use a black sharpie to do lines.

Angie
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Dont throw that away 2#

o

Hi! I just wanted to comment that this thread makes me very happy. (I've had this tab open for weeks now, because of this fact)

I don't find that I'm as creative about what to do with my potentially useful trash as I'd like, and seeing these ideas helps a little.

Also, the pictures are so charming!

Suzanne

o

WOW.!!!totally amazed

o

Awesome stuff - I have copied some of your patterns to try. I am an artist - oils, portraits, but I don't have nearly the creativity in this kind of thing that you do. From a pro - don't rag on your painting! I love that antiqued look that your stuff has. I hate putting that plastic stuff out even to recycle. I believe your inspiration can help keep a lot of stuff out of landfills. Martha Stewart needs to get a load of your stuff!

o

Thx I so love doing this its fun and my grandaughter now 6 also has a great time doing this stuff and I never get tired of sitting on back porch with her, she also loves recycling and she is full of ideas hehehehe
Angie

o

Just curious, Angie - I saw on an earlier post that you had created a trellis out of fishing line but most of the pics were gone. Would you mind re-posting them? Thanks!

o

Sure here are some .
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

oh angie I am still amazed at what you do and thankful to you for all the ideas I never got my cat done but have gone crazy with with other things and it's all because of you thank you and hope you are still being creative

o

I really like the fake metal watering can. I'm going to attempt to make one soon.

o

Angie:

Great projects! I'm completely inspired! You might've created a monster! ;) THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SHARING!

-Rachel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here