Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Planted up my water feature

kirkus
16 years ago

The first thing I ever posted on the forum was my water feature with an old, 1/2 whiskey barrel and an old, metal watering can. Here it is before:

{{gwi:146270}}

Since my accident to my arm, I haven't been able to do much in the garden until today. I was so excited to get back outside and work! Planted up my water feature! It sounds so relaxing, sitting on the porch, listening to the running water. Here it is after:
{{gwi:146271}}

{{gwi:146272}}

Enjoy! Kirk P.S. Found that rustic tool behind it for 50 cents at a garage sale. Didn't come with a handle but I had an old handle in the garage!

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Posting Telling How Feature Was Made

Comments (17)

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

That turned out wonderful. Know you are really happy to have finished it, especially after the recent "confinement".
    hugs, Karen

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Looks great, please tell me, what is that "curly" looking plant in front there.

• foxygrandma9
    16 years ago

Looks good

• caroleena
    16 years ago

love your water feature! here is my work in progress

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:146273}}

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

Kirk...it looks great,planted.

I know what you mean about listening to it..

Mine is right off our porch and I love leaving the door open and can listen to it while I'm sitting here at the computer.

Mine is a whiskey barrel liner that I put in the ground.

(there is a pic of it in my post about my grinder stone painted like a water melon.) Instead of a watering can I have a blue granite tea kettle.

patti

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the nice compliments! You made my day! Went out this morning just to look at and listen to the water feature and drink my morning cup of Diet Pepsi! :o) Sal, you're close in guessing the name! It's a Curly Rush. I bought it because it is my wife's favorite. I try to be a good DH! :o) Patti and Caroleena, I love your water features and the settings!!! Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing your creations! Kirk

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

I love it. But i love running water. It is very cute.

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

Great!!!! I love the choice of plants too(-: Your old tool is neat too. Running water is a must in the garden!!!(-: I even like listening to the sprinklers run(-: Its so calming and it just be summer time without it!!!! Glad you are doing better(-: I know how hard it is to be messed up during summer vacation. No fun)-:

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

It looks great. Love the running water can.

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

I didn't notice that clump of curly grass...

Went back to take another look..I love curly things..

I have 3 Curly willow bushes started..Planted them last year but they didn't do real well...Only the three made it to this year.

And I have a clump of curly grass growing in my little garden just a few feet from the water pond. I just love the grass. It looks like what you have in your water. But it was meant to plant in soil. And it comes back each year.
    patti

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I love curly rush too...it's so twisty and curvy. A local pond person gave us the idea of putting them in water features as long as you keep it toward the surface. So, I always place them in our water gardens for my wife since she loves them so much (and I do too!). They grow so well there. You should see them in August! I also have some in moist places in the ground. Before the first frost, I take the curly rush out of the ponds and plant them in the ground, wintering them over until the next Spring. I just love this plant! Kirk

• djscrapbooks
    16 years ago

Kirkus you always have such awesome things to share! I love your water feature (AND everything else I've seen you share!) Newbie, still reading old posts :)

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

Love it, and it doesn't look overwhelming to make, like a pond would. A lot less maintenance too. I'm glad you were able to get out and play!

• dustyknees
    16 years ago

am i the only one who liked it better before you put the weeds in front of it? now i can't see it good.it is a well made water feature.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Great water feature. We're still working on DH's red pump fountain. We need some nice water plants. Wait til he gets home and finds out I weed-eated the power cord in two:)

• kikistreehouse
    16 years ago

I love it. Its really beautifull. I love the plants .Thanks for sharing. Tell your wife Iam comming for a glass of ice tea and I"ll sit in the corner by the fountain,so I can just listen to the water . lol.Its to hot here to enjoy sitting by the ponds and listening to the water.Early morning or late afternoon is all we can enjoy here. I told my husband he"ll have to make me one like yours . Hope you dont mind me using your idea.. Thank again..

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to those with encouraging words. I put my heart and sole into this creation, and your positive words inspire me. I too like the plants. TheyÂre not weeds, Dustyknees. :o( I think they soften the look of the feature. Come on over kikistreehouse! We just made some huckleberry iced tea! I would be tickled if you made a water feature. Post a picture if you do! The hardest part was finding an old, metal watering can with the metal sprinkler still attached. Kudzukween, ooops! IÂve done that with our dogÂs invisible fence line and a weed wacker! Countrygrl, welcome to the forum! YouÂve already posted some great ideas!!! Again, thank you everyone for your encouraging words! You make my day!!! Kirk