Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackbird9977

typical bermuda sod prices?

blackbird9977
12 years ago

I was wondering what might be considered an acceptable price range for bermuda sod in the Lubbock, Tx area? From my reading online, I expected no more than 120-150 per pallat of tif 419 but I just received a quote from a local nursery that was MUCH higher (over $300 per pallet). This seems extremely high to me. If this is the going rate these days, then I'll just have to settle for common seed.

Comments (15)

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

It is area dependent but in a range of $90 to $140. Sounds like the nursery has it marked up 100%.

• wrager
    12 years ago

I could see $300 per pallet if it was INSTALLED! In Atlanta, I can get 419 as little as $75/pallet. Usually it is $85 day in day out.

• goren
    12 years ago

Quoting prices for a pallet load might be deceiving to some readers. What number of sod pieces, their size, and any delivery costs might such pallet load consist of.
    Where I am, a sod piece is 9 feet long by 18" wide....13 1/2 sq ft amd costs about $2.00 for K.B./fescue/ryegrass.
    Delivery, if sufficient number, is either included or about $10.00
    A pallet load would be in the neighborhood of 30 - 40 pieces.

I suppose it would depend on the cost of production of the different types of grass and with the cost of gasoline or diesel for delivery it can be quite expensive.
    But, sod has it over seed every time. You get a guaranteed lawn overnight and as long as proper care is given it, you don't have to concern yourself about any seed that might, or might not, come along.

Any time you buy something from a dealer, always get another estimate. And 3 or more is not against the rules.

• wrager
    12 years ago

BTW Blackbird, Texas-Weed is a former sod farmer from TX. You can take his word as gospel.

• blackbird9977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm glad to find out I wasn't crazy thinking that it was a little on the high side. Maybe I misundertood, but I was under the impression that it was just the price of the sod and didn't include installation or delivery. After they quoted me a price that high I didn't ask anymore questions because I simply can't afford to pay that much. One of the nearby lawns here has 419 grown up to 2-2.5" and it is GORGEOUS. I would like something similar so that is why I was after the 419. Would Yukon or Riviera get me anywhere remotely close? What about texture? I want something that won't feel too terribly scratchy to walk on barefoot. I grew up with horribly course bermuda and don't want anything remotely similar. I'm assuming most common bermuda will be pretty scratchy but was hoping the improved, seeded varieties might be tolerable.

• blackbird9977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Goren,

They said that each pallet would cover 455 sqr ft. Not sure about each piece

• dwrecktor
    12 years ago

Yukon and Riviera are improved common and will look very similar to 419. The untrained eye probably won't be able to tell. There was someone here who had pictures of his Riviera lawn and it look great. He mowed it very low, less than an inch, with a reel mower. His screen name was reelfanatic. Check out the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bermuda types

• trk65
    12 years ago

Don't know if this helps, but I just had 4300 sf (9 pallets)of 419 delivered and installed. I paid the landscape company around $2600 which included the following-
    spray to kill 2x
    remove existing dead Fescue
    amend with topsoil
    re-grade
    fertilize
    install new sod

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

Last time I checked round here the cost per pallet is about $90.

• blackbird9977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the info guys. I checked out that link and the riviera looks fantastic!

Texas-weed, are you not still farming sod?

Checked at another nursery and they quoted 225 per pallet of tifton 10. I'm not familiar with this variety. Would it be comparable to 419? They said they could get the 419 but the price would be the same. I just can't figure out why the prices are so high here. I wonder if it has anything to do with the drought?

Looks like I'll probably be ordering Yukon and going with that. Can it be grown with satisfactory results at a taller mowing hight, say around 1.5 inches? Like I said earlier, there is a guy here with 419 grown relatively high (I'll try and drive by and get a picture tomorrow) and it looks fantastic. It's a beautiful dark green. Do the lower mowing heights typically result in a lighter shade of green? Also, I'm still concerned that the seeded varieties might not give me a barefoot-friendly lawn. I'm paranoid about having an uncomfortably scratchy lawn.

Thanks again for all the responses. Much appreciated

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Would Yukon or Riviera get me anywhere remotely close? What about texture? I want something that won't feel too terribly scratchy to walk on barefoot. I grew up with horribly course bermuda and don't want anything remotely similar.

That was probable due to poor or incorrect maintenance by keeping it cut to high allowing the stolons to grow vertically rather than horizontally.

Yukon and Riviera are good improved common Bermudas. They are not as good of quality as Tifway-I (aka 419)but good non the less. By quality I mean fine texture and color. 419 has finer leaf, and a dark green emerald color.

You have two challenges right now with Yukon and Rivera. One is you are running out of time to get it planted. 2 I have not checked lately, but supplies are tight with Yukon and Riviera and may not be available. Usually you have to order them in Winter for a fallowing summer plant. If you can find them, buy both and blend them.

Texas-weed, are you not still farming sod?

No I turned it all over to my family, retired, moved to Prescott AZ and now the superintendent at a local golf course.

• blackbird9977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks tw. I'll see what I can get my hands on. I appreciate the info.

• Stephenhusy
    10 years ago

Act of Sod prides itself on having the lowest prices on sod in the Central Valley. We offer six varieties of premium quality sod, all cut daily and delivered within 24 hours. Call us toll-free today at (855) 763-4897 and one of our customer service representatives will help gladly assist you with whatever you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap Sod Prices

• User
    8 years ago

wrager - I am in Atlanta too and looking to get Bermuda T-419 delivered and installed. Any tips where can i get it for the price you mentioned?