Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebelmaven

Need Identification and Help Saving Her

RebelMaven
9 years ago

Tropical houseplant. Looks Like marijuana. Was full and bushy, but scrawny now despite all efforts. Sentimental value. Help please. What is she and what do I do please? Thank you.

Comments (13)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

False Aralia. Botanical Name: Dizygotheca elegantissima

It needs bright light and warmth for best growth. Don't over water it. Yours looks low in the pot and might need fresh soil and a bit of a lift to allow for better root distribution.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

You'll find lots of info regarding care of it on either House plants or Container gardening forums. Once there, just search typing either (common or latin) name in the search box.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it not low.. its pot in pot ...

agreed... get ye to the houseplant forum ...

but when i had large overgrown plants ... i researched how to propagate them ... and lopped off the tops.. rooted them [if possible]... and started some fresh young plants .. in a clean pot.. with fresh new media... and enjoyed the SAME plant.. for another 5 to 10 years ...

in the alternative.. you would cut it off at 3 to 6 inches ... repot .. and most of these things.. will resprout from the canes down low ... same difference ...

trying to save ugly old plants isnt worth it.. and sooner or later.. they try to take over limited spaces ..

so google up that latin name.. you might even find youtubes ...

you might also ask the HP peeps.. if its getting enough light.. on an interior wall ...

ken

• RebelMaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did replant her higher. I put her higher toward the window today, away from the heat vent (we do not use the fireplace). I know about over watering her. Does she want humidity, as in frequent misting? Also, what fertilizer ratio should I use please. Miracle Grow 24-8-16 makes her grow leaves but she still stays small and browns up quickly on the tips of her leaves. Thank You.

• RebelMaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/false-aralia.html

Oh, maybe her pot is too big also, so she is focusing on roots and not leaves. It is very dry here. Looks like I need to make a fertilizer adjustment also. And stop moving her. OMG. This one is high maintenance in this climate, lol. Any other suggestions are appreciated. She really does have sentimental value. Thanks so much.

• RebelMaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In the first picture, she was actually in another much smaller pot and just inside a big container.

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

I think you did a great job repotting and placing it in a more lighted area. Mist it if you'd like and let's wait and see. Give it some time to get adjusted to the new soil and place. Good luck with it.

• RebelMaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. She loves going outside in summer, despite the warning about direct sunlight and being at 5,280 ft. altitude. I hated to move her again but this is her last option, as all our windows have the heat vents right under them, and that is very drying. I am going to let her dirt dry out more and mist her only on the leaves for a while and see what happens (she gets filtered water also for watering and misting). That window is a southern exposure and will have light most of the day, and some radiant heat also. I am just going to let her be for a while and meanwhile research better fertilizer.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Priority one should always be >>>> make sure you can keep the root system healthy, because w/o a healthy root system a healthy plant isn't possible. You can battle soils that hold too much water for control over your plant's vitality, or you can choose a soil that allows you to water correctly. Once you have a soil you can water correctly, root health is very easy, and control over nutritional supplementation (fertilizing) also changes from something of a guessing game to something you can precisely control. The appearance of your plants is also a mirror of root health, so once you get the root health thing solved, your plants' appearance will reflect your progress.

.... some basic information at the link below, which will help you avoid all the most common pitfalls that bring growers to the forums seeking remediation.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: A basic overview

• RebelMaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank You.

• dorothyperkins416
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

let it dry completly out,then water until it water starts to drain,,it requires alot of sunlight,i keep mine in my living room window where it gets sun light all day

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If someone is a chronic over-waterer and/or is using a very water retentive soil, it might be better o/a to allow the plant to go completely dry before watering than to habitually allow the soil to remain too wet; but that doesn't mean that allowing the plant to go completely dry is good for it. It isn't. Allowing it to go completely dry causes drought stress. Stress occurs when the plant is growing at or near the limits it's been programmed (genetically) to tolerate. Stress leads to strain, and strain always leads to the death of the organism unless the cause is corrected.

I was a silent observer during a workshop being conducted by bonsai master Ben Oki. A lady was working on pruning the roots of a juniper when she asked, "How often should I water my plant?" To which he replied, "Wait until plant become completely dry; then, water day before."

Master Oki had a dry sense of humor, so I was never able to ascertain whether he was trying to be funny or if the reply had something to do with the fact that English, for Ben, was a secondary language. What I do know is, the advice was spot on, and just what the sensei would have order for RM's dracaena.

Al

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm