Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Are these 3 plants weeds?

Cross post to Weeds. #1 is getting so big, I really want to ID it quickly...before it eats the nearby plants! .

A few years back I was going to a plant swap annually, so stopped immediately pulling things I didnâÂÂt recognize. But I have my doubts about these, even though I thought I knew most local weeds. Just way too lush. No flowers or pods yet: but IâÂÂm getting worried. (But then with all the rain we have had lots of things are lush?!) Thanks for your help!

#1 is enormous, maybe 5 feet, and still getting taller. Growing tips are always bent over. Getting a lot of sidegrowth and branching now.

{{gwi:246100}}

# 2 is about 18â tall.

{{gwi:246101}}

# 3 is about 2-3 feet tall.

{{gwi:246102}}

Comments (21)

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

#3 Giant ragweed
    #1 I wish there was a more close up pic of the leaves
    #2 does it have woody stems?

• terrene
    10 years ago

#1 might be Lythrum salicaria (purple loosestrife), but yes a close up would be helpful.

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

#1 does not look like Lythrum salicaria to me.

To answer the title question: basically it is you who decides what is and what is not a weed in your garden. No plant is a weed by definition.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

Are the leaves on no. 2 uniform on both sides and are they in groups of three.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! here is a closeup of weed # 1. The tips are always bent: it's not wilted. I used to grow a lythrum (Morden's Pink), before it was commonly known how invasive they are. This does not look that familiar.

#2 now has a yellow and purple flower that looks a lot like something in the tomato family. I'll attach more shots after this one.

Original Author
    10 years ago

closeup of growing tip

Original Author
    10 years ago

closeup. Flower is about 7/8 inch is diameter; all facing straight downward. Stems are NOT woody.

This post was edited by linnea56 on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 15:42

• north53 Z2b MB
    10 years ago

Could the first one be solidago or golden rod? I seem to recall mine having drooping growing tips before they budded up.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I think the second one is a tomatillo judging from the flower.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Solidago? HâÂÂmmmâ¦I might well have traded for that. The place itâÂÂs planted too, looks like no accident: Just where IâÂÂd put a tall plant as a backdrop. I would have gotten this in 2011 or earlier, thoughâ¦I wonder if it takes that long to show some height?

Tomatillos? Now that would be a novelty in my perennial garden. I canâÂÂt say IâÂÂve ever bought one whose seeds could have ended up out there.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I missed where you said the flower was 7/8ths of an inch in diameter. That is bigger than a tomatillo flower. But the color is right on. I looked up Chinese lanterns, and that didn't look like what you have there. I am pretty sure it is a nightshade family plant, but I'm not sure which one. You'll have to wait and see what kind of fruit it makes.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I've heard chinese lanterns are invasive, so I sure hope not.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

That doesn't look like chinese lanterns, they are bright orange, I remember them from childhood. They have the shape of a small lantern.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

That yellow flower - does it hang down?

If, yes, not only is it a weed, but it has an incredibly long tap root. It's one of the few plants I use Round-up on, otherwise it's impossible to get rid of. As soon as I see it, I spray it.

You can also head over to that other site (gave's darden since apparently it's blocked here.) They have an extremely active plant id forum. I often get an ID within an hour.

Original Author
    10 years ago

The yellow flower hangs straight down. Thanks for the tip on "you know who" garden. I look for plant information there, but I didn't know they had a forum.

• north53 Z2b MB
    10 years ago

The Name That Plant forum on gardenweb has lots of activity also and I've had responses almost immediately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

1. Might be an aster, some of my asters look a bit weedy before fall flower formation. I have to remind myself not to pull them.

Original Author
    10 years ago

The 2nd one, that looks like something in the tomato family, is now producing pods, so may be easier to ID now. Here's a photo:

{{gwi:246103}}

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Is your plant more upright, or is is it more spreading? Is it still 18 in" tall? If it isn't any taller, then it isn't a tomatillo. Maybe it could be a wild groundcherry? Physalis something-or-other.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

#2 is not a ground cherry. I am positive it's a noxious weed, I just don't know the name of it.

Did you post here at the plant id forum? How about the other site whose name cannot be mentioned?

• florauk
    10 years ago

2 is a Ground Cherry imo. Physalis subglabrata.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ground Cherry