Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Only one flower left for me

I think I have one perennial remaining to bloom for the first time this year...a late flowering aconitum ("Monkshood"). It will probably not happen until sometime in October.

What perennial(s) are still to flower for you for the first time in 2014?

Comments (40)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I don't know if this one counts but my bush clover 'Gibraltar' is forming flower buds now and several of the Campanula primulifolia I seeded this spring have just started flowering along with some colchicums and cyclamens. I also have a monkshood, not sure which one that will flower in October. How could I forget about the perennial Asters, they're just starting to come into their own now.

Annette

This post was edited by aftermidnight on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 23:48

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

My toad lily is loaded with lots of buds but none have opened so far. Geranium 'Rozanne' continues to bloom as it has since June.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

My season is not over yet (I hope). If the weather cooperates, I am expecting lots of new blooms in a week or so:
    1. Phlox âÂÂDavidâÂÂ: after deadheading, it sent another set of blooms that are just beginning to open
    2. Roses âÂÂKnockoutâ and âÂÂThe Fairyâ are covered in buds
    3. Hydrangea âÂÂTwist & ShoutâÂÂ
    4. Japanese anemone - still 2/3 of flowers are not yet opened
    5. All of my brugmansias are covered in buds and flowers
    6. Bellflower 'White Wonder' - still in buds
    7. New England asters - just beginning to open
    8. Mums (pink)
    9. Rose of Sharon 'Red Heart'

1. Dianthus (pink, double)
  • Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

these are perennials.
    Rouge, that's a short list! Do you think you'll expand your holdings?

1. japanese anemone
    2. white wood asters: floriferous and effective at a distance
    3. 4 different mums will bloom in about two weeks and stay in bloom until mid october (at least)
    Sheffield Pink is usually still blooming at Thanksgiving
    Will's Wonderful
    A soft yellow 'sheffield'
    I forget the name of the other
    4. diathus is reblooming modestly
    5. A tall white (no spots) trycirtus
    6. A spotted trycirtus
    7.Goldenrod soon
    8. Monarda Raspberry Wine is still effective
    9. L. Becky is still throwing a few blooms

1. Astermoea mongolica Full bloom, very effective
    2. Aster Jin Dai will bloom in 2 weeks
    3. clematis Henryii is covered with blooms, my heavens
    4. one of the purple clems is still blooming after 6 weeks
      14: monkshood (2 different)
    5. aster "Alma Potsche" If it hadn't disappeared. wonderful
  • Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

I forgot
    allium Ozawa
    calamintha nepata nepata
    all the sedums' colors are changing
    the old reliable echs Magnus

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rouge, that's a short list!.

Don't worry 'ida' ie we have lots of perennials still in flower or with new buds getting ready for a re bloom. (See "September Stalwarts" thread.)

This thread is slightly different in that I am interested in what late blooming perennials others have; those that have yet to give one flower...yet in 2014. So for me, as far as I can tell off the top of my head, our "Monkshood" is the only perennial remaining that hasn't yet bloomed for the first time. And for relative of my partner, invariably it is mei-kyo chrysanthemum. It can sometimes be in bloom with snow on the ground!

Here is a link that might be useful: September Stalwarts

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 5:46

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

I hear you Rouge. Here it's asters that are all budded up and just starting to open. I have a few flowers on Purple Dome and Wood's Pink, but only buds on Alma Potschke and Bluebird.

I also have a couple of sedums that have yet to open. Neon got clipped by deer and have re-budded. Autumn Delight and Elsie's Gold are just showing some color. I'm curious to see these bloom for me for the first time since I planted them.

My last blooming plant used to be boltonia asteroides 'Snowflake,' which was brilliant when I lived in NY. But here it bloomed so late that actual snowflakes would arrive much sooner than it did.

We have lots of September stalwarts going strong too. We got an uncanny amount of rain in late August so things are astonishingly lush for this time of year. Normally it's pretty desert-like by now, so we're loving this!

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Still waiting for my monkshood as well. It is always the last bloom and often gets frosted before opening. Also waiting for Alma Potschke and Purple Dome asters. Most of the mums are blooming but a couple are in the bud stage. Fireworks goldenrod buds are coloring up but not open.

• greylady_gardener
    9 years ago

white bomb mums are budded but not open as is anemone pamina. My purple mums are just covered in unopened buds, too. NOID mums which are like brown/rust daisies with a bright yellow centre are not open yet either.
    My 'new to me' monkshood (hopefully bicolour) won't flower this year so I am going to have to wait until next year.

• catkin
    9 years ago

I'd have to go check for others but for now the Eupatorium 'Chocolate' (Joe Pye weed) is still in bud--if I remember correctly, to this point it's been my latest blooming plant. I love 'Chocolate'. It would get taller with more sun but it's in some afternoon shade. The foliage remains pristine throughout it's cycle--a bonus for sure. It's been in my garden for years and has never reseeded although I've read many times that it has become a nuisance in some gardens.

I have a mystery perennial that I planted in a newly renovated section earlier this Spring. The person adding up the sale at a nursery took many of the tags off my purchase--I was distracted viewing plants nearby--so I have no idea what it is! Would've gone back but it was too far to go. I still have three or four plants that won't bloom this year and I don't know what they are. Only the mystery plant has budded so I'll need to wait till next year for the others, I suppose.

The mystery plant with buds is going on 3 ft. tall, has deep green, shiny, needle-like Rosemary-ish type foliage--although much longer, it's quite a monster--2-1/2 ft. across but is only now coming into bud. It's fairly dense with many stems, definitely not a see--through plant. The buds sort of look like they may be a daisy/Rudbeckia type bloom and it's taking seemingly forever for them to open! I've tried searching perennial plant foliage but haven't been able to recognize it. I was surprised that there weren't any sites dedicated to foliage only. If anyone knows any, links would greatly appreciated! Took pics but am unable to post any yet--sorry, I'm working on that in the near future. Any clues what it might be? Thanks

ETA Crocus!

This post was edited by catkin on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 1:12

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I have one aster, perhaps oblongifolius 'October Skies or laevis 'Bluebird'. One of them is blooming and one is just getting ready, but I am no longer sure which is which.

My rusty orange mum won't bloom for another couple of weeks. My colchicums (center) are just starting to open as is Chrysanthemum weyrichii 'White Bomb' (upper right.)

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Still got aconitums to flower but am waiting for the frost asters and white wood asters (symphotrichum pilosum and eurybia diviricata (although I am vague on the constant botanical changes to the nomenclature....I just call them asters)

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Today:

Further to Rouge's specifics:

Besides a hydrangea and an hibiscus:

Have a number of perennials with a few surviving blooms (e.g. several Echinacea, bits not cut back) and a number of spotty reblooms. These don't add much.

There's a number of perennials which still provide a lot of flower colour, especially 'Goldsturm', 'Gold Star', various heleniums, a few garden phlox and Persicaria 'Firetail'.

Also in full bloom, or coming into bloom, are some Chysanthemum x morifolium (which I planted I this spring), plus some scraps of Chrysanthemum serotinum and of C. 'Clara Curtis'.

The New England aster 'Alma Pötschke' (below), which we have lots of, is in full flower and smooth aster 'Bluebird' is coming into flower. The 'Purple Dome' is almost all still closed buds, though there's the beginning of a very few flowers.

Still completely closed buds: Arend'a (fall) monkshood and Eupatorium rugosum 'Chocolate; also Chrysanthemum 'Mei-Kyo'. Further to the above, the latter cultivar is just about useless; it always blooms when the garden's been cleared and when it's very cold outside and it's usually snowed.

We don't have calico aster ('Lady in Black') in our own garden at this time, but it's a great late blooming aster which the bees love.

Today:

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

LIke me, my workmates, the bees, love 'Alma Pötschke' and so do Monarchs.

Today:

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

The last thing to bloom here I'd always the 'White Pearl' bugbane which doesn't bloom until the first week of November. It's nice to have those fresh white flowers when raking fallen leaves is the main garden activity!

{{gwi:271964}}

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Forgot to mention our Persicaria.
    Persicaria amplexicaulis (mountain fleece flower).

'Firetail' and 'Golden Arrow' below.
    Picture today:
    Been in flower for two months.

Original Author
    9 years ago

So good to see SB. I was going to post similarly re my GAs. All of them are still looking superbly even now that it is October...easily 2 months in bloom.

Can you compare and contrast "Firetail" and "GA"? (For sure "GA" has much lighter colored foliage).

Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is my final first time bloomer of 2014:

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Very pretty, Rouge.

Have a block of Arend's/fall monkshood too.
    Hardly any of it is blooming yet, but it seems a bit shorter than last year.

Did divide and replant it two years ago.
    Think I'm going to need to do that again for next year.
    Suspect it's close proximity to the cedar hedge may not be helping.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Very pretty, rouge.
    Fall Crocus and Miscanthus 'Morning Light' will bloom last for me.

But right now I still have many things in bloom:
    - Hosta plantaginea still has several blooms going
    - Heuchera Purple Palace
    - Geranium Rozanne
    - Perennial forget me not
    - Rudbeckia triloba
    - Sedum 'Autumn Joy'
    - Cochicum autunmale
    - Colchicum 'Water Lily'
    - Colchicum cilicicum
    - Colchicum 'Lilac Wonder'
    - Hydrangea 'Annabelle'
    - Hydrangea paniculata
    - Panicum virgatum
    - Feverfew
    - Pansy
    - Petunia 'Laura Bush'
    - Geranium 'New Hampshire Purple'

I still have a long list of blooms. In this weather, they may last until December then Snowdrops will begin to bloom and restart the cycle once again.

I am encouraging you to add more plants to prolong your blooming cycle.

This post was edited by pitimpinai on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 15:47

Original Author
    9 years ago

pitimpinai wrote:

I am encouraging you to add more plants to prolong your blooming cycle.

The title of my thread is poorly written :(.

We have lots still flowering but this monkshood is the last of the *first time* bloomers for 2014.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Oops...My mistake, rouge.
    Do you have any Cochicum or fall crocus?
    My colchicum is in full bloom. Fall crocus - not yet.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Sorry, Rouge, missed your question.

As you saw I have 'Firetail' and 'Golden Arrow' planted right next to each other.

They're both look equally healthy.

I can't see any difference in the flower colour, but, as you say, the foliage of GW is noticeably less green and more yellow.

I've had 'Firetail' in that location for a number of years, while the GA was planted much more recent (as you know). Consequently it probably doesn't mean much for me, at this stage, to say that the FT seems to be more vigorous.

It does seem that FT is a slightly taller plant and that the flower spikes are a bit taller (but perhaps those of GA may be a bit "fuller" (?)). The dimensions of the flowers, however, are difficult to compare since more of the GA flowers currently remain than of the FT flowers.

Not sure if the latter means that FT blooms a bit earlier than GA and that the GA bloom last longer into fall.

Original Author
    9 years ago

pitimpinai, I dont have any Fall bulbs. Are either of them attractive to deer, squirrels or rabbits? That is for sure a concern in our neighborhood.

• bobbi_mi
    9 years ago

Nippon daisy/Montauk daisy (Nipponanthemum nipponicum) is the last to bloom for me. It just opened the first of October.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Still waiting for monkshood to bloom. Also haven't seen the fall crocus yet.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

not a perennial but. . . .gina's giant marigold-7ft tall and 5 ft across, first flower opened today-my other one has been blooming all summer. things that make you go hmmmm.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Rouge - Fall crocus are as appealing to critters as the spring ones are, so I plant them either in very gravelly soil or in wire baskets. Cochicum (often called autumn crocus) are like daffodils in that they are totally unappealing to critters (toxic, I think) and will multiply over time. The clump in my photo from 9/21 probably began as a group of either 3 or 5, and you can see how many there are now after perhaps 10 years without any care in less than optimal sun. As long as you like the color I'd certainly recommend them, though like daffodils you need to consider spring foliage which looks a lot like daffodil foliage and dies back in the same way. Planting them behind a perennial that will die back before they bloom is a good idea.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info 'babs'. I will check out "colchicum".

Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure if the latter means that FT blooms a bit earlier than GA and that the GA bloom last longer into fall.

Here is one of my many GA as of today...more than 8 weeks after it first began to flower...a great summer and fall perennial. .

This post was edited by rouge21 on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 12:45

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

crocus autumnale

Original Author
    9 years ago

very nice David....love the color.

I am a newbie when it comes to fall blooming bulbs. Does one plant them in the spring?

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Hi rouge,
    Fall blooming bulbs are normally planted in late summer.

Why? Because their leaves grow in spring. Suppliers dig them up in summer after all the leaves have dried and ship them to buyers in late summer. You plant them right away, then they come up that very fall...without any leaves.

Another fall blooming bulb that you should consider is Colchicum.

Colchicum is poisonous. I don't think any critters will try to munch on it, but they love crocus. :-(

This post was edited by pitimpinai on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 15:03

• catkin
    9 years ago

Rouge! Another beautiful specimen!

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Great pics everyone. I have the following plants in bloom:
    -Hydrangeas: Annabelle (green), Invincibelle, Pinky Winky, Little Lime and Vanilla Strawberrry.
    -Anemone (white)-Honorine Jobert and a pink one,whose name i forget!
    - Laura Bush petunias - an amazing long blooming annual that reseeds.
    -Sedums-Matrona, Autumn Joy-are changing colors
    -Asters - white, purple, pink and red
    -Helianthus - Lemon Queen
    -Perennial geranium
    -Daisy - Montauk-First year in the garden
    -Catmint-Reblooms if you cut it back.
    -The Fairy rose - amazing small rose. I have to get more!
    -Annuals: cosmos, zinnias (on their last legs), rudbeckias, red dragonwing begonias - you have to try these (long bloom, low maintenance, beautiful color)
    -Mums-I need to get more of these next year.
    -Larkspur-a few blooms here and there.
    -Monkshood
    -Gentiana andrewsii-bottle gentian.
    -Solidago, "Fireworks"-Love this plant!
    -Joe Pye weed-Already bloomed, but the dried flowers are pretty.
    -Ornamental grasses-Miscanthus and fountain grass.

Thanks everyone for sharing your list. I'm always on the lookout for plants that do well in zone 5. Thanks again.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    9 years ago

Mexican Bush Sage or Salvia leucantha
    Native to Mexico & Texas, pictured on Oct 18, 2014

{{gwi:271965}}

Rouge, new in Sept. so may not quite qualify! Attracts pollinators including hummingbirds, listed as a fall bloomer on many websites and grown as nectar plant for fall migration. In z9 South Louisiana it blooms in the spring, rests during the very hot weather & blooms again in the fall. Will have to see what it does here in z8b Central Louisiana. Love the thread, Rouge. Please post updated pics, everyone, so we can have some color as the days get shorter.

This post was edited by river_crossroads on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 10:55

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Both varieties of monkshood have started blooming as well as my second to last bloomer, solidago 'Fireworks'.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I thought I must have missed seeing the autumn crocus bloom but there they were yesterday in full bloom. They are surely the last of my plants to bloom for the first time this year.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I was pleased to see my cut price Coronilla valentina subsp. glauca 'Citrina' rescued from the reduced shelf at my local garden centre has burst into flower. And the Chaenomeles has put out a few early flowers. Not so much the last flowers to bloom but the first.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

My pink mums are in full bloom now. These were actually 3 small scraggly plants I put in the soil in spring... now they kind of fused into one big plant:
    {{gwi:271966}}

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions