Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chubbypoptart

Dividing lotus tubers

chubbypoptart
13 years ago

Ive googled it and looked all over youtube and i dont know if its my luck or there really is no tutorial with pictures. I understand how to do it the question is where to cut them. Does any one have step by step pictures and pictures of exactly where to cut/divide each tuber? Thanks so much

Comments (13)

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Hi chubbypoptart,
    I have a site somewhere on my computer that explains this.
    I have divided them myself. I would pick big juicy tubers and cut them so that each section has at least 2 eyes (growing tips) on them. I'll try to find that site for you. But it isn't hard.

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Here's a pic of my lotus, after I turned over the container and dumped it out.
    {{gwi:192173}}

Here is a pic of the tuber that I cut out and planted.
    {{gwi:192174}}

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Here's a link to a discussion we had awhile back on this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: dividing lotus

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Here's a site that explains it.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to divide lotus - bonniesplants

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So basically i can cut wherever as long as each section has a couple growing tips? Sorry not trying to be dense haha

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Yes, that is correct. Don't worry about asking questions! That's how we all learned!
    Just pick out the firmest tuber with a couple growing tips. I left some longer stuff on mine, thinking maybe it would give it more nutrition as it got started, but I don't think that's necessary. They send alot less than that, when you order a tuber from a company.
    Just be very gentle with the eyes.
    I actually kept a couple of mine, and planted one and kept the others in a tub of water in the yard.....just in case the planted one didn't grow.
    Keeps us posted on how it goes! :)

• cody_mi
    13 years ago

hoping to piggyback my questions here. i got nine new lotus last year and lost one immediately. of the rest, four actually bloomed. they're in 55 gallon drums cut in half. do they need to be divided this spring or can i wait until next? also some are still full of water and some aren't. i've added a bit of water to the empty ones, but i'm afraid there might be too much in the others. should i take some water out?

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Hi cody,
    I suppose it depends on the type of lotus. I had Mrs. Perry D. Slocum once, and that one was very aggressive and grew quickly. My Egyptian and American lotus didn't develop under the soil as quickly. Smaller lotus might even be slower.
    Were yours just tubers last year? If so, I'd say you're okay this year. Just don't forget to fertilize them at least every month.
    I would say to keep about 4-6" of water over the top of the soil.

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks alot catherinet! you seem to be the most helpful:) i see you on a lot of other posts too so you must be a pro by now along with Joyce. i actually had a question about her recipe but i havent seen a post from her since around 08 or 09.

• catherinet
    13 years ago

I really don't know that much! I learned all I know from the School of Hard Knocks. :)
    You might try sending Joyce an email, if she has that info on her "my page".
    I don't know where all the lotus growers here have gone. I know several people loved her recipe for lotus soil.
    I just always used plain dirt. I'm a plain dirt kinda gal.
    LOL!

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lol as am i but for some reason i just want to do everything right with these lotus! Haha funny tho bc i only paid about ten cents per seed!

• Kim Dargan
    6 years ago

My Lotus in small tubs are over crowded, is it too late to divide them now? thanks.

• catherinet
    6 years ago

What area are you in? I'm in central Indiana. If I needed to divide mine, I'd probably do it late fall or early spring....when they are dormant. Most lotus grow pretty fast and need to be divided every year or 2. Whenever you do it, just turn the pot over and dump it all out. Then you can easily see the tubers and which ones you want to save. Make sure they have at least 1-2 eyes on them and just be careful not to damage the eyes. Here's a good article on dividing them.

http://www.bonniesplants.com/lotus/dividing_tubers/planting_lotus_tubers.htm