Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Gentian Acaulis

Posted by davemichigan z 5/6 (SE Michigan) (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 9:57

Hi, has anyone started this from seed? I bought a seed packet when I traveled for work to Europe, but I don't understand the language(s) used in the instruction. If you could ID the language that would be greatly appreciated.

I posted the question in the perennial forum. To avoid duplication, here is the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Question on Gentian Acaulis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Gentian Acaulis

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 11:28

If not moist packed, these are generally best sown very fresh. "sow seed from the species as soon as it is ripe - waiting too long causes slow, erratic germination" If your seeds are packaged dry, by all means still try but you might cover the seeds with a bit of grit instead of more of the sowing medium, will discourage moss and algae on those pots that may be with you for a while.

Warm, cold, cool germinator. Sow at 64-71F for 2-4 wks, move to 39F for 4-6 wks, move to 41-53F for germination. Cover thinly, some light may be beneficial to germination.

o

Thanks, morz! It sounds a little complicated, but I am going to give it a try. Nothing to lose anyway.

o

Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 15:15

Not really complicated, think about the conditions the seed would be exposed to if it had fallen from the plant when ripe....warmish Fall, cold winter, cool late winter/early Spring. You're trying to mimic that which mother nature would have done but artificially and with shorter temperature periods.

o

Morz8, right now I put the seeds in the refrigerator to mimic fall. Do you think after a while I need to freeze them to mimic winter?

o

Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 11:00

No, I think you need to take them out of the refrigerator and leave them at room temp for 2 - 4 weeks to mimic Fall...still warmish and rains have started. (First: 64-71F for 2-4 wks)

Then put them into the refer. Approx 40F is cold enough, very few seeds need to actually freeze, most will not be going through the conditioning process until they are not quite so cold so don't use your freezer.

The third stage is the one that is difficult for me indoors...I don't have a good place to achieve that 50ishF range and have to try to time it for late winter-earliest Spring here when I can put the pots outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here