Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arwmommy

Post PHOTOS of your compost pile!

arwmommy
15 years ago

OK, if I email a photo of my compost pile to my friends and family, they will truly think I have lost my mind.... but I think it would be great to see how everyone does it. I am sure that we will see that there are a zillion different ways to compost successfully-- large or small piles, urban or on major acreage, premade or homeade etc....

Here is my pile. It is in the back of the small garden (we are on 1/6 of an acre in a subdivision!). It is approx 4' deep by 3' high by 2.5' wide. Right now it is covered in rose petals falling from the bush above, which just makes it look more beautiful to me! (Compost Dork Alert!) It is composed of mostly straw/chicken poop, pine shavings/chicken poop, oak and alder leaves, grass clippings, kitchen waste. It is loaded with worms and roly pollies!

Can't wait to see everyone else's compost. If nothing else, it should inspire newbies that there is no "perfect" way to compost, and to get them excited!

Whole garden photo:

{{gwi:136206}}

Back of garden with compost behind lattice:

{{gwi:136207}}

The beautiful compost pile ;)

{{gwi:136208}}

Comments (36)

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

These are from last summer. In spring of this year I moved them to the other side of my yard.

{{gwi:288987}}

{{gwi:288988}}

{{gwi:288989}}

My bins sneak into my flower pictures, too. I must have taken a break from flipping compost here, one tier of the bin is visible in the background.

{{gwi:288990}}

Karen

• sunshineboy
    15 years ago

One of my piles must've smelled too good with that leftover birthday cake just added.....
    {{gwi:288991}}
    Last week while having a bonfire, this critter hang out for a half hour digging for goodies. I wasnt happy about him eating my stuff, but at least he was mixing my pile.

• samekid480
    15 years ago

Wow! Beautiful pics! My compost pile looks like sunshineboys minus the critters because I have a big dog that keeps them away.

• arwmommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone else with photos??? I would love to see this thread hit a ton of posts.........I think it would really help the newbies.

• billhill
    15 years ago

OK. Here's mine. Bill Hill
    . {{gwi:288992}} compost 5 area
    {{gwi:288993}} compost 6 top bin manure
    {{gwi:288994}} compost 7 pallet bin with ingredients
    {{gwi:279176}} compost 8 area
    {{gwi:288995}} compost 9 top of bin manure
    {{gwi:281551}} compost 10 close-up bins piled high
    {{gwi:288996}} compost 11 close-up area with screen

Bill Hill

• coolbythecoast
    15 years ago

Things aren't always so cool-by-the-coast.
    Nothing special, just a nice rich pile.

Thermometer is enlarged for easy reading.

Secret ingredient: Lots of nitrogen from house rabbit litter boxes.

{{gwi:285073}}

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    15 years ago

I love the raccoon photo!

At my summer job, we used to call the compost pile "the raccoon snack bar."

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Geez, you folks have the neatest composts. Makes mine look like a dump! But that's OK. I get lots of good stuff too.

Here's a photo. There's four 'bins' here all open at the front to make it easy for me to work. This photo was taken January 21st 2007, but things are pretty much the same today except for the season. Leaf bags are kept close to the warmest pile in the winter. It keeps them thawed so I can add them in with UCGs (Buckets in the cart are full) which I keep in the basement for the same reason. These piles all touch each other and never freeze no matter what the temps outside as long as I keep feeding them in the winter. Love the sun rays in this photo. :O)

{{gwi:262030}}

• debnh
    15 years ago

Wait, wait, backup. I'm in favor of composting as much as the next person, but birthday cake definitely cannot be wasted. Oh god, I hope it wasn't chocolate...

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Composting Buddies,

her is my compost bin and it is not impressive and I don't think it has ever heated up but it seems to be working. I will turn it over in about a week or two. I bury kitchen waste (no meat or dairy), ucg and and dog poop in to the pile. I have smelled a skunk a couple of nights though. I think I will just let my dog have at him some night and see what happens.
    Thanks for letting me share. Aloha

{{gwi:288997}}

• blutarski
    15 years ago

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2582730222_26b35a3077.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2581890925_d6782c655a.jpg

This is from about a month ago. Does it look done? Other than the bread and peanuts, of course.

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

{{gwi:288998}}

{{gwi:10494}} Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

Here it is -- I feel like a rocket scientist to have actually gotten it here!! T'aint easy for an old analog gal. And thank you for the instructions, bestlawn 6!

My pile is actually divided down the middle -- finished compost on one side and hot working stuff on the other. Works for me. I have pots and containers of herbs and an ancient bouganvilla on the walls, and a container of Roma tomatoes beside it. Now that I know about cardboard, UCGs, shredded junk mail, alfalfa bunny food and all that good stuff, the working pile goes down in about two weeks. I know I'm addicted to the process!
    Sunny

• rjinga
    15 years ago

We eat a lot of veggies :)

{{gwi:270045}}

Just kidding (sorta) this is my source of FREE already composted compost and I've used this in all my gardens and beds and the longer it sits there the better, I've also used these piles when they were brought home to add my scraps to.

• cathyd_gardener
    15 years ago

{{gwi:288999}}

{{gwi:289000}}

• bencjedi
    15 years ago

Not much to look at, but a recent success getting an ant colony to vacant the premises:

{{gwi:289001}}

• cathyd_gardener
    15 years ago

bencjedi, how did you get rid of the ants? We have problems with them every summer.

Thank you,
    Cathy

• bencjedi
    15 years ago

Cathy, 4 gallons of water every other day for a week.. not an ant in site now!

• bencjedi
    15 years ago

Oh yeah where the ant 'mound' was concentrated (dug down to the very bottom of the pile at the source), I dumped in probably 5 pounds of Starbucks used coffee grounds, then covered it all back up and did the watering every other day. I'm not sure if the ants left because of all the heat generated by adding those coffee grounds, all the extra moisture in the pile or both. The combination probably made it uncomfortable for them and they vacated!

• trancegemini_wa
    15 years ago

"Does it look done? Other than the bread and peanuts, of course."

blutarski, I dont think peanut shells are ever done LOL
    when everything else is composted the peanut shells will still be there, after adding ompost to my garden, Ive seen the peanut shells still sitting there months later :D

they laugh at the the composting process!

• jollyrd
    15 years ago

I've been reading this section of the forum and love your help and ideas and here is my share of photos -- let me know what you think.

http://public.fotki.com/LeylaM/garden/summer-2008/
    NOTE -- the site has a password == seegarden

• prairiechuck1
    15 years ago

anybody say warm ?

Here is a link that might be useful: hotstuff

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

These are Day 1 photos (about 6 weeks ago) - I will get updated photos tomorrow. This is really becoming an OCD thing (Obsessive Composting Disorder - haha). Good Lord - I used to be normal - lol!)

I am kind of proud of myself because I built it alone. Hubby thought I was a goofball but now offers to turn the pile. Hmmm....so I get to do the hard stuff and you prance in Mr.?

Unfortunately I don't have a poop source and coffee grinds are very limited. Working on that.

{{gwi:289002}}

• fjg58
    15 years ago

a link to an earlier post w my compost pix

Here is a link that might be useful: My beehive composter

• richdelmo
    15 years ago

The bin on the left has been nearly emptied awaiting the start of a new pile. The middle bin supporting some squash will be used this fall, and finally the right bin started this spring topped with alot of just pulled lettuce should be ready for the next spring.

{{gwi:289005}}

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

Rich - you have a nice set-up - good wide open space.

• florenceoregon
    15 years ago

This is my first time trying to post a picture.
    These are made of cedar fense boards and 2x2's.
    I can take each section off and stack and unstack.
    My husband made them for me and I am very happy!
    Stephanie
    http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l448/purple1cat/PICT4809.jpg
    http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l448/purple1cat/PICT4808.jpg

How do I get the pictures to be in my post?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:288981}}

• florenceoregon
    15 years ago

Ok, I figured it out.
    {{gwi:289007}}
    Stack & Unstack
    {{gwi:289008}}
    Stephanie

• flora_uk
    15 years ago

I have some neat bins and some desperately scruffy ones. But IALBTC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smart and scruffy - but all working away for my garden.

• witeowl
    15 years ago

OK, here are shots of my happy little bin. These were when she was ten days old, about a week ago. I named her Sally B. Don't ask me why. And yes, I talk to her. (Well, the microbes, I guess.) They seem to respond... ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My trashcan bin

• zachslc
    15 years ago

{{gwi:289010}}

• pnbrown
    15 years ago

I cold-compost, turning once or twice a year when I start a new bin:

{{gwi:83398}}

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

Nice bins! LOL! It's always interesting to see other set ups.

witeowl - I noticed the pitchfork comment in your pic - too funny! I came home with bales of straw and a pitchfork about a month ago and showed it to my family (who thinks I'm raving mad) and said "It's official - I'm a farmer!". (Not meant to insult real farmers! Just everything being relevant......)

• takadi
    15 years ago

Nice job Msyoohoo for building that all by yourself! I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that I have the engineering skills of a drunk cat, so that was no easy feat you did. Care to share your techniques?

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

Here are mine: ugly, but productive! our bins

I'd like to have nicer ones, but I can't figure out how to make them work for me. These, for some odd reason, work out.

• flora_uk
    15 years ago

Zachslc - do I see HINGES? Now that is sophisticated.

• zachslc
    15 years ago

They are hinges and there are slide bolts on the other side of the bin so the whole front can be swung open. Honestly, as often as I am inclined to open it, it is not very useful. Those bins are made out of shipping pallets with the bottom rails removed. This is their third year in the weather and the wood is splitting and the hinges and bolts have mostly come unscrewed. I think the next incarnation will involve a front panel that is fixed, but hinged horizontally in the middle so either the top or bottom half can be opened.