Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

You Might Be a Compost Wacko...

sylviatexas1
15 years ago

if phrases like "my compost pile is a living, seething mass of sweet decomposition" bring a smile to your face.

if you either post a thread asking people to post photos of their compost piles or if you post said photo.

Comments (137)

• lynxe
    15 years ago

.....if you're doing door-to-door canvassing for your candidate, and you see a mom & daughter outside their garage at one house, and you go up to them to go through your spiel....

You do keep your wits about you and say your thing, but all the while, you're buggy eyed with lust because you've noticed within about the first quarter second or so that they're GROOMING RABBITS!

And then you ask them what they do with the stuff from the cages. And then you actually ask them whether you can come back for it.

You know you've been successful - not because they're for your candidate, but because they say yes to your request!

• dlpasti
    15 years ago

if your raking leaves still partially covered with snow into a nice big pile so you can run your electirc shredder while sleet is falling on you just so you can get enough shredded leaves to cover the pumpkins thrown in Sat.

• gnomey
    15 years ago

I haven't gone into hiding due to fears of gnome-napping, as you might think. I'm just having computer problems.. graphics card screwed up on the laptop so it has to go back to Dell for a whole new motherboard and graphics card.

Maybe when I come back I can post some pictures of my favorite gnomes and make you jealous.

• dlpasti
    15 years ago

gnomes, what gnomes.......I didn't do it, no, not me!

It was the cat, yeah thats right, the cat did it.

LOL

d

• paddykevin
    15 years ago

Every neighbor is blowing their leaves from the lawn and beds into the street, so that you can blow them onto your lawns and beds IN THE POURING RAIN to get them before the town does.

A derivative question: Anyone have any idea of what makes composting so darn pleasurable? Serious here

• takadi
    15 years ago

It's the idea of control, and the ability to change one product to another. It might be an OCD thing, but for me, the idea of gathering things that other people deem utterly worthless and making them into something that is so invaluable makes it addictive

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

You are thrilled that your commute to work which used to be 10-12 min is now 30-45 min because it will take you past your favorite starbucks for UCG on a daily basis.

• kyndall_surae
    15 years ago

You Might Be a Compost Wacko...if you are sitting at your computer reading this board right now, even though the Super
    Bowl is on!

Sassy

• baliset
    15 years ago

...if you have a can on your desk for compost and you bully your coworkers to put their coffee grounds, teabags and lunch scraps in it for you to take home (one of my coworkers did this for years).

You were thrilled to learn that some neighbors had ordered 35 pheasant hatchlings, which will arrive sometime in March.

You are trying to find a way to tactfully ask the person in charge of the grounds of the federal installation you work at what they do with the bark and leaves that the 16 HUGE sycamore trees shed.

You take a plastic bag with you on you walks at lunch and collect long-needle pine to mulch your blueberry bushes with. You should see the looks I get from the grounds crew on that one.

• ajpa
    15 years ago

When you spill half the carton of raw oatmeal onto the floor and think "Oh, goody, more compost!"

• auntyara
    15 years ago

when your DH says "if your not talking about your compost your just not talking."
    hey is there a support group?
    or are you guys just pulling my leg?
    need it for DH I'm just fine thanx

• cali1023
    15 years ago

You're planning a romantic campfire at the beach with your husband for Valentine's Day and when you announce, "I might need to steal some seaweed and sand if I can get away with it," and he calmly replies, "I assumed you would."

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

seaweed!
    sand!

I am jealous!

auntyara, I don't know of a support group for spouses & families, but if there were such a thing, I'd recommend that you not tell 'em.

far better for you & the garden & the planet to get your nearest & dearest to become one of instead!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

meant to say

better to get your nearest & dearest to become one *of us*!

• joebob
    15 years ago

If you are coming back to work from the gym and notice the lawn service is mowing that great wintergrass you have been watching for a coupla weeks and stop to ask for a bag of the clippings to add to your pile that's starving for some greens ---woooooohoooo----gonna be a hot time on the pile tonight baby !!!

• primavera_grower
    15 years ago

... when on your way to church you see a (oh, joy!) partially eaten apple on the ground just begging to be picked up and composted. So you pick it up and put it in a plastic baggie that you carry in your purse specifically for picking up compostable material. You feel blessed.

• auntyara
    15 years ago

sylviatexas,
    "one of us. one of us, one of us."
    I saw that episode of the simpsons too.
    very funny. :)
    I can see my compost again.(happy dance) hard as a rock but the snow is melting.
    woo hoo!
    tried poking it with my poking stick should have found the axe.
    but not that much of a whacko yet.
    definetly planning a 3rd pile, soon as the ground thaws.

• kyndall_surae
    15 years ago

When you squeal with glee when you discover that the one of your two piles that you have been adding "liquid gold" to is running circles around the other one. Guess it's time to share the bounty with the other pile:)

• sprouts_honor
    15 years ago

Âwhen itÂs 15 degrees, 5:30AM, youÂre standing in a floristÂs dumpster before the trash guys show up, a patrol car pulls up next to you for just a moment, and then drives away. I'm glad I didn't have to explain. "You see officer, I need some nitrogen to offset all the browns I collected."

• greenbeans
    15 years ago

You might be a Compost Wacko...

-if you carry your used paper towel from drying your hands in the restrooms and break rooms at work and bring them home for The Pile.

-You have your boyfriend trained to scoot the lemon wedges and lime segments my way when we're out to eat. (Said boyfriend has also been known to carry abandoned pumpkins on his walk home from work.)

-A tour of your new home is not complete without a visit to the compost pile and a peek inside.

-Your name was printed in the local newspaper in the same sentence as "composter."

• luckygal
    15 years ago

I know I'm a compost wacko and am so pleased that I've converted someone else to Wackodom! This morning my DH was heading to the compost bucket on our kitchen counter with an empty tissue roll and proceeded to rip the roll in little pieces! Even tho he's been supportive and helpful of my composting efforts (while rolling his eyes) I never would have believed he'd rip up a TT roll if I hadn't seen it! Guess all my endless chatter about compost/composting/collecting compost has not fallen on deaf ears. I quote you guys regularly. :-)

• fncer
    15 years ago

When you take DW out to a very expensive Valentine's Day dinner and when the steaming plate arrives you think to yourself "I wish my compost pile steamed like this".

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

When you have to stop your self from getting a take home container for all the table scraps, cause the wife would freak. I have managed to bring home left overs that we both knew wouldn't get eaten, they never made it in the house. I draw the line on cleaning off the plates of unedibles in public... for now.

• kyndall_surae
    15 years ago

....you are already making plans for baby GD's potty training, not so you won't have to change diapers any more, but so you can pour the pee-pee from her potty chair onto the compost pile (and she is only 5 months old! LOL)

Sassy

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

When you build a campfire under the guise of cooking hot dogs and smores, just to get some charcoal.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"I quote you guys regularly. :-)"

You might be a compost wacko if you quote compost wackos!

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

When you feel a little blue on V-day, and get on Yahoo personals. But the only man that piques your interest cares for 20 horses and spends all his time in a barn. Can I email him and just ask for manure???

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes Yes Yes!

Wisht I had a Valentine like that!

• teequiltbarbie
    15 years ago

I think I belong here. My neighbor is now bringing me all her "stuff". My DH will be building her a bin of her own so we can have "dueling" piles! Her DH isn't handy! I can't wait until my pile thaws. She brought me a huge bag of shredded office paper and we were both really excited. So I can have my grandsons PEE on the pile? What does that do? What a fun family memory! I'm an NOT the cookie grandma, but do I want to be the "my grandma let me pee on her compost pile grandma?" Actually, yes, I do!

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

I can't wait until my pile thaws

Oooo, that's gotta hurt.

Lloyd

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your grandsons will be adding valuable nitrogen to their grandmother's compost, a priceless memory indeed...though I don't know if it's a "Kodak moment"!

• teequiltbarbie
    15 years ago

So, sylviatexas, does that mean urine is a green? I'm still learning :-)

• chris_in_ca
    15 years ago

You might be a compost wacko if you and your kids make a video on composting.

Check it out at:
    Smith Family Garden

Spring is almost here. Happy composting!

• mustard_seeds
    15 years ago

I watched the Smith Family Garden Compost Video, and I would definitely agree there is a compost wacko behind the camera laughing at times. HOW WONDERFUL that your kids know so much about this process and they are so involved!!!! And how great that they would make videos about gardening and post them on Youtube. The only thing that surprised me is that with teenage boys, how could you possibly have uneaten fruit going into the compost pile - I would think they eat a ton! Good that they grow food themselves, huh? :)

• flora_uk
    15 years ago

Well, well, well I learn something new all the time here. From the Smith Family I discover that you are all making compost to rhyme with 'post' whereas over here I am busily making compost to rhyme with 'lost'. And I've only just got over the fact that you grow 'erbs and I grow Herbs. Fascinating .... and the fact that I find it fascinating must make me a wacko too.

• teequiltbarbie
    15 years ago

Smith Family Compost Video was adorable. Don't tell the kid I said that, but it was also very informative and definately entertaining. I agree, what cool things to do with your family. Good Job!

• chris_in_ca
    15 years ago

The "kid" is actually twins...and I won't tell them you thought they were "adorable". :-)

Thanks for the nice comments. We had a lot of fun making the video.

-Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Success with back yard composting

• compostkate
    15 years ago

You might be a compost wacko if. . .

after reading these forums you feel empowered enough to snatch & grab the bagged leaves from the employee parking lot while holding your head high.

after snatching said bags you squeal in glee to discover earthworms have been stranded underneath.

being now knowledgeable about said earthworms you know it is your duty to rescue them and so you snatch & grab them as well to be relocated in your garden,thereby liberating them from certain death.

You join the aforementioned forum so you can brag about your latest compost conquest :)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

compostkate-

Yay!

& welcome to Wacko-dom.
    (Wacko-ness?
    Wacko-ism?)

• teequiltbarbie
    15 years ago

...today I talked TO my compost piles. DO I WIN?

• ruvin
    15 years ago

Tequila...???>>>...may i call you that ???.....you do not win cause go has already been passed....

and all the rest of these whackos have been talkin to to their piles for years....its like a free therapy...

but keep on keepin on ....R

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, I think she wins.

I think we all win.

• teequiltbarbie
    15 years ago

You can call me anything you like ruvin...wow, that makes me feel SO much better! I do feel like a winner. Were we all the weird kids in High School everyone thought was fun but no one would date? Perhaps we should have found one another. FCPMOA (future compost pile makers of America) Everyone would have fought over the leftover at the FCPMOA picnic. "I'll clean up" "No, I'll do it" NO, IT'S MY JOB!" etc etc. Ending in a food fight in which everyone is happy to go home covered in rotten food. I LOVE YOU ALL!

• kyndall_surae
    15 years ago

You Might Be a Compost Wacko...if....

shredding paper and ripping up cardboard and newspaper calms you more than taking a Valium:)

OR

you watch a movie or TV show and notice the food more than the actors or the plot, and wonder if they compost the stuff after they are done filming:)

• compostkate
    15 years ago

You might be a Compost Wacko. . . if. . .

you hit multiple Starbucks for UCGs multiple times in a single day.

btw, that's hilarious about watching something and being more interested in the compostability of items than the plot of what you're watching. I caught myself doing that just last night hehe.

• blutarski
    13 years ago

if you look at all the tall grass on the side of the road as you drive to work and daydream about mowing it, mixing it with leaves, and piling it up.

• berryman135678
    13 years ago

For calling a family meeting to find out who threw the banana peel in the garbage.

• heirloomjunkie
    13 years ago

Berryman, very funny. I have been known for my "what the heck is THIS doing in here?!" speehes lately, too.

My new neighbor across the street stopped me today as I was walking my dog, and said he notices that I often stir dog chow in the garbage can inside the dog pen. Does he think I own 10 huskies or something?! I had to explain to him, that I'm not in fact a musher, but have a compost pile. Enter blank expression. ;)

Kim

• albertar
    13 years ago

you might be a compost wacko if scoring 400 lbs of horse manure tomorrow makes you as happy as a pig in poop.

Alberta