Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertgreenhouse

help with misting/prop timer trouble

desertgreenhouse
14 years ago

I am having trouble with the valve on my propagation timer and am hoping someone here might have some suggestions before I contact DIG tech support again.

I have the single-station timer listed at the bottom of this page: http://www.mrdrip.com/propagationtimers.htm

I am using it for cooling my greenhouse. I have another thread related to that (cooling aspect) here:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/strucs/msg0608261215898.html

When the timer and valve first came in, the solenoid was bad so they sent a new one. We got it in late last week and I've been playing around with the times since Saturday and having a lot of problems. The valve stops working after a while and it seems to be related to the water somehow. I got a pressure meter to be sure it was running at the recommended pressure and it is, so that isn't the problem but it seems to have something to do with it.

When the water is turned off, there are no problems. I first ran the timer at 10 seconds every 5 minutes and that seemed to be great esp. since it takes about a minute to get all the water out of the misting system hose after the valve shuts off. It ran well at this setting for about 3 hours and then the valve stopped shutting off and so it was just running nonstop.

I turned the water off and let the pressure out and tried it again and it worked for about 30 minutes. I then took the solenoid out and flushed it out, then set it for 20 seconds every 10 minutes and it worked about 6 hours before the valve again stopped shutting off. But this is really not often enough to keep it as cool as it needs to be.

I should note the timer continues to work properly, the valve is just not responding to the timer when it does this.

I have played around with several different time combinations as well as adjusting the flow from both the faucet and the adjuster screw at the top of the valve with the same to no success.

Right now I have it at 35 seconds every 15 minutes and it's been working fine for more than 3 hours. This isn't enough to cool it as much as I'd like, but I'm afraid to mess with it again if it continues to work at this rate.

I am new to all of this, but I am following the instructions and troubleshooting properly as far as I can understand, as well as advice from tech support.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this or experience with a similar situation ending in success? Thank you so much!

Comments (6)

• hex2006
    14 years ago

Its sounds like the solenoid is too weak and isn`t able to close against the pressure from the pump/mains water supply side.Effectively its being forced open as the pressure builds up. If it works for a while after you release all the pressure from the lines it is a solenoid pressure issue.
    I`d recommend using anti drain valves on the mister heads to prevent the lines draining, you`ll get an instant on/instant off mist instead of it ramping up to pressure and ramping down as the lines drain.. no dripping nozzles either.

• desertgreenhouse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your help. It's another brand-new solenoid but I guess it could be the problem. Very frustrating to have to deal with this for so long after the original purchase! It will be at least another week before a new solenoid can come in if I contact the company and they send a new one. The ones at my local store don't seem to be strong enough to work with this valve/timer. We tried one, anyway, and it worked only with the water off and not even once with the water on. The original one first sent was completely bad and didn't respond once even with the water turned off. This one works perfectly for up to several hours and then just quits.

I haven't seen the anti drain valves. Is this the type of thing you are recommending: http://www.mrdrip.com/eshop/catalog/153.asp

That's really expensive for each of the misting heads if that is what you are talking about, but it would be really nice to have that feature on the misting system.

• hex2006
    14 years ago

I guess it depends on the mist heads you have, i use netafim coolnet foggers and they have small ADV`s inline to each head, its an egg shaped unit with a spring inside that pushes on the internal tube.
    They come in different pressure ratings, the ones i have open at 58psi and close at 26psi.
    When the solenoid opens it pressurizes the line from ~26psi to 58psi at which point the heads instantly fire up (no ramping of the spray). When the solenoid closes, the line pressure drops to 26psi and the ADV automatically shuts off the flow..no drips.
    With currency conversion the adv`s wouldnt cost more than $1 each. A 4 way cross head assembly,adv and hanger would probably be around $6. Good for a 5ft circle coverage
    Cold water inlet solenoid valves from washing machines are very reliable (and sometimes cost nothing), they run on mains voltage though so you`d need to mount them indoors out of the weather for safety.
    To run one with your timer you`d need probably need to use a 24v coil relay with mains rated contacts. Mine runs quite happily with cycle times of 1 second on/60 seconds off although i generally use 3 seconds on/3 minutes off to give the solenoid an easy life.

If you have broadband i`d recommend taking a look at the greenhouse misting video on the netafim website, its a 15MB wmv but shows you exactly what they do.
    www.netafim-usa-greenhouse.com/Micronet_Fogger_video.wmv

• desertgreenhouse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your help. I just have a cheap misting system from Sam's that is intended for patio areas that I strung up around my greenhouse and it works really well to cool things off which is the goal for a misting system in there. It has about 15 misting heads that run on a tube that I have connected to a garden hose. I have the garden hose connected to the valve/timer (it's battery operated) and then the filter goes before the valve and to the faucet.

• desertgreenhouse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I need to edit to say I have 30 misting heads, not 15.

• hex2006
    14 years ago

I have a few around the patio, i took a pic when i tested a single head mounted vertically. It delivered a lot of mist with 75psi water pressure.
    {{gwi:300322}}

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES